Why become a member? ×

What no Joolz Holland NYE Thread?

Dazed

I watched. Not overly impressed. Enjoyed seeing Weller. Peculiar bass choice from Mr Swift? An old Ibanez?
The crowd appeared even less convinced than usual it was NYE, maybe the Beeb cut back on the alcohol budget this year.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275694-guess-the-hootenanny-guests/page__pid__2942304__st__30#entry2942304

There's a sort of pre Hootenanny thread in off topic that has spread into the new year! Personally I was blown away by Beth Hart and Jeff Beck......man that girl can sing!!!

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1451673058' post='2942339']
I watched. Not overly impressed. Enjoyed seeing Weller. Peculiar bass choice from Mr Swift? An old Ibanez?
[/quote]

Ibanez Musician MC-924 in polar white, I believe. Lovely-sounding bass. I want one. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1451673058' post='2942339']
Peculiar bass choice from Mr Swift? An old Ibanez?
[/quote]

Apparently he's a big fan of Ibanez Musician basses. And why not - apart from being a little (or a lot dependent on your viewpoint) on the heavy side, they were a bass of choice in the early 80s - copping all the sounds of the time - you could even get an Alembic sound. They were quite expensive ($850 at the end of the 70s/beginning of the 80s).

Phenomenal range of sounds and at the time p***ed all over Fenders, which were not in vogue.

I remember seeing a function band where the bass player used one back then and was green with envy at the sound!! I particularly remember them doing the Whispers, And the Beat Goes On, and the bass sound matched the studio sound perfectly.

An unsung classic bass which will cost you a fraction of the price of a similar aged Fender, which is shocking when you think an early 80s Fender was naff of the naff at the time (in the UK at least) - you could certainly get an impressive discount if you wanted to buy one back then!! Casio keyboards were more in demand than guitars also.....

I may have a listen on iplayer (was out playing Auld Langs and Hokey Kokey at midnight!!)

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1451674510' post='2942368']

Ibanez Musician MC-924 in polar white, I believe. Lovely-sounding bass. I want one. :)
[/quote]

I'd echo this - my son bought a left hander as back up to his Stingray - it is very good indeed, both recorded and live. I'd love a white one!!

I don't have owt against the Ibanez, quite like them but never played one. I was expecting something perhaps more exotic. I might have another listen through proper speakers.

Forgot Jeff Beck was on - like. Also Hozier - like.

I once asked him for his advice on an 8-string (i.e. 4 pairs) and he recommended an Ibanez. He's very keen on them, but I suspect that's partly because he's such a big bugger!

I find (on average, YMMV, the value of basses can go down as well as up, past performance is no guarantee of future performance) that Ibanez tend to be seriously heavy basses, real boat anchor stuff.

As to the Hootenanny, I've been lucky enough to be gigging every NYE for years so it's a long time since I've been able to comment. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1451674510' post='2942368']
[/quote]

My brother has one in the dark wood finish , at least I think that's what it is, I did offer to give it a refurb as he hasn't really touched it in years, I might have to remind him so that I can get a feel of it , I seem to recall it being quite heavy though

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1451674594' post='2942369']

Apparently he's a big fan of Ibanez Musician basses. And why not - apart from being a little (or a lot dependent on your viewpoint) on the heavy side, they were a bass of choice in the early 80s - copping all the sounds of the time - you could even get an Alembic sound. They were quite expensive ($850 at the end of the 70s/beginning of the 80s).

Phenomenal range of sounds and at the time p***ed all over Fenders, which were not in vogue.

I remember seeing a function band where the bass player used one back then and was green with envy at the sound!! I particularly remember them doing the Whispers, And the Beat Goes On, and the bass sound matched the studio sound perfectly.

An unsung classic bass which will cost you a fraction of the price of a similar aged Fender, which is shocking when you think an early 80s Fender was naff of the naff at the time (in the UK at least) - you could certainly get an impressive discount if you wanted to buy one back then!! Casio keyboards were more in demand than guitars also.....

I may have a listen on iplayer (was out playing Auld Langs and Hokey Kokey at midnight!!)
[/quote]

I would like to extend to you an invitation to come and play my 1984 Precision. It is a wonderful bass. You could then compare it with all the other 80s Fenders you have played which has allowed you to form your OPINION. My OPINION is that I would not wish to own an Ibanez Musician as I find them too complicated, heavy, and not pleasing to look at. Mind you this is only my OPINION.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1451684943' post='2942530']

I would like to extend to you an invitation to come and play my 1984 Precision. It is a wonderful bass. You could then compare it with all the other 80s Fenders you have played which has allowed you to form your OPINION. My OPINION is that I would not wish to own an Ibanez Musician as I find them too complicated, heavy, and not pleasing to look at. Mind you this is only my OPINION.
[/quote]

indeed and fine. I'm sure your Precision is just fine but I simply wouldn't have dreamt of choosing one back then. I would definitely have done so in 1972 Though - but music was different then. I presume you've you played an Ibanez Musician to form a view on their complexity. I can understand the point in weight - in my experience they are heavy (but my experience may not be typical).

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1451684930' post='2942529']
My brother has one in the dark wood finish, I seem to recall it being quite heavy though
[/quote]

There were two MC924's talked about in someones collection (possibly a Guitar and Bass mag article) the other year, the "lightweight" fretted one weighed in at 15lbs the fretless was slightly heavier at.....yes 22lbs....you could probably get a piano round your neck that would weigh less!

I have always liked the look of the MC bass but you probably can't get one that weighs under 10lbs

[quote name='Bassman68' timestamp='1451754988' post='2943143']
Was that a Trace head I spied atop his Aguilar rig? Had the 'green glow' but couldn't make out the graphic..
[/quote]
No, from his Facebook page that is the driver amp for his [color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Porter & Davies KT (kinetic Transfer) platform.[/font][/color]

I thought Hootenanny was good this year, but then its the first time in two years I've watched it...
Definitely less alcohol on set this year as Vic Reeves wasn't nearly as pissed as he usually is. And Ade Edmondson stayed away...

I was really impressed with Rhiannon Gidding as I wasn't aware of her before and think Tom Jones blues stuff was good too. I thought it was one of the better shows especially as I thought the last series was quite weak.

As for Dave's bass I always like it when pro players use something a bit more unusual and interesting. I get bored of seeing everyone using Fenders and boutique Super Jazz's on TV. Those old Ibanez Musicians are quality basses.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1451684943' post='2942530']

[/quote]

To be fair on DrTS, back in the mid 80s (it is well documented that ) even Fender thought that on the whole late 70s and early 80s Fenders were a bit rubbish and just not up to snuff. Hence the introduction of Japanese production to try to beat the (much much better quality) Japanese copyists in their home market and take the pressure off while they bought up a few vintage Fenders to see what a Strat, Tele, Jazz and P-Bass were supposed to look like, retooled the whole factory and revamped the range.

Great to know that you have managed to acquire of the peaches that were mixed in among the lemons. But most would agree (and the literature confirms) that there we a lot of lemons coming out of the Fender factory around then.

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1451732828' post='2942827']

There were two MC924's talked about in someones collection (possibly a Guitar and Bass mag article) the other year, the "lightweight" fretted one weighed in at 15lbs the fretless was slightly heavier at.....yes 22lbs....you could probably get a piano round your neck that would weigh less!

I have always liked the look of the MC bass but you probably can't get one that weighs under 10lbs
[/quote]

I had to read that post three times to check the numbers... My Wal shall henceforth be known as a lightweight bass, practically made out of balsa wood and only fit for 7 stone weaklings!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1451840919' post='2943895']

To be fair on DrTS, back in the mid 80s (it is well documented that ) even Fender thought that on the whole late 70s and early 80s Fenders were a bit rubbish and just not up to snuff. Hence the introduction of Japanese production to try to beat the (much much better quality) Japanese copyists in their home market and take the pressure off while they bought up a few vintage Fenders to see what a Strat, Tele, Jazz and P-Bass were supposed to look like, retooled the whole factory and revamped the range.

Great to know that you have managed to acquire of the peaches that were mixed in among the lemons. But most would agree (and the literature confirms) that there we a lot of lemons coming out of the Fender factory around then.
[/quote]

I have also read the literature and would agree with you for the period up to 82. However, The basses produced after that were much better as Smith & Schultz were endeavouring to make good instruments once again. The standard basses were being built alongside the reissues and receiving the same attention to quality control. It was very much a period for Fender coming out of the doldrums and making a big effort to do so. It is therefore just not right to describe 80s Fenders as naff. My bass is not an exception to the rule. Give me an 82-85 bass any day over what was offered in the late 70s and yet look what prices a mid to late 70s bass will command.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1451898979' post='2944301']

I have also read the literature and would agree with you for the period up to 82. However, The basses produced after that were much better as Smith & Schultz were endeavouring to make good instruments once again. The standard basses were being built alongside the reissues and receiving the same attention to quality control. It was very much a period for Fender coming out of the doldrums and making a big effort to do so. It is therefore just not right to describe 80s Fenders as naff. My bass is not an exception to the rule. Give me an 82-85 bass any day over what was offered in the late 70s and yet look what prices a mid to late 70s bass will command.
[/quote]

I was a busy semi pro musician back in the early 80s. The point I was making concerned the desirability in the UK of a new Fender bass in the early 80s and the juxtaposition of that with the current sought after nature of some models.

The only players likely to desire a Precision at that time may have been a young punk player or maybe a ska/two tone player. Any player aspiring to be fundamentally of the black R and B ilk (which many did - just look at the pop bands of the time such as Duran Duran etc) would not choose a Precision back then and those basses were really were not popular. Fender went through a sales nadir, as did many guitar manufacturers because pop music changed and keyboard based music became the thing.

Many people seem to presume it was based on poor quality. Poor quality may have been an issue but only a small part of the picture.

Ibanez Musician, amongst other basses,Trace Elliott amps etc were highly sought after in that period.

Edited by drTStingray