Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

So to summarise the view and opinions expressed on here:

Jaco is universally acclaimed and was an credible bass player with incredible technique but leaves a lot of people "cold" when they listen to his work. This doesn't make sense to me - is this some people's way of saying that they don't like his work without offending the fans?

Jaco influenced so many people but I've only seen two names mentioned. I honestly would love to see if any of the players I listen to were influenced by him

If you don't like Jaco's playing or criticise it in any way then that's a stoning offence and you should give up playing and become a tegestologist

I've tried to listen to JPs work in the past. I really wanted to like it as I had heard nothing but good words but what I heard wasn't pleasant. The live solos I've seen on youtube seem to be a series of random notes and noises. I honestly thought I was watching one of those "shreds" videos.

This would be funny if it wasn't so sad. At the end of the day it's only opinion. You can't make someone like something that they don't and getting defensive, borderline aggressive & name calling isn't going to change someone's opinion

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1449656118' post='2925545']
I don't like Jaco. I won't deny his technical skill - what would be the point? Or his mastery of theory. IN MY OPINION, though, there's nothing else there. No sense of beauty, or human quality. Its a structurally perfect, exquisitely detailed empty vessel.

I won't deny he's been hugely influential either. Whether that's a good thing is another matter....
[/quote]

Regarding human qualities in Jaco's playing, I would disagree with you here. His playing contains humanity in abundance, but it reflects a personality that rubbed up a lot of people the wrong way and some may feel that the more tender moments were overshadowed by that. There was a larger-than-life self confidence and brashness in both the man and his playing which perhaps not everyone warms to. But for all that, he's one of the greats.

He started something new...noodling in public using a bridge PU on a Jazz bass and now every wannabee jazz bassist does it and they all sound like Jaco so I guess he was first which makes him pretty special.
Great tone, and tasty technical playing.
Back in the 70's he was like something from another planet which with the passing of time probably seems less obvious today.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1449702401' post='2926210']
If he leaves you cold, were you ever warm in the first place?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x06PdHYYIg8"]https://www.youtube....h?v=x06PdHYYIg8[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder, and what driving percussion, too..! Sublime..! B)
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:166776]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1449698515' post='2926168']
He started something new...noodling in public using a bridge PU on a Jazz bass and now every wannabee jazz bassist does it and they all sound like Jaco so I guess he was first which makes him pretty special.
Great tone, and tasty technical playing.
Back in the 70's he was like something from another planet which with the passing of time probably seems less obvious today.
[/quote]

Very good point.

I personally think understanding a little history about iconic musicians and bands is a good thing.

My opinions may be harsh and inappropriate at times but they are based on my historical knowledge not merely talking out of my arse.

Blue

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1449697306' post='2926156']

Regarding human qualities in Jaco's playing, I would disagree with you here. His playing contains humanity in abundance, but it reflects a personality that rubbed up a lot of people the wrong way and some may feel that the more tender moments were overshadowed by that. There was a larger-than-life self confidence and brashness in both the man and his playing which perhaps not everyone warms to. But for all that, he's one of the greats.
[/quote]

Another really cool analysis from a guy that to me knows what he's talking about.

Nice!

Blue

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1449696343' post='2926145']

This would be funny if it wasn't so sad. At the end of the day it's only opinion. You can't make someone like something that they don't and getting defensive, borderline aggressive & name calling isn't going to change someone's opinion
[/quote]

But here's the thing.

Me personally there are a lot of new,young contemporary bass players and in some cases I question their appeal.

But until I do my homework and have a strong understanding of their history, background and body of work you won't see me posting my opinion.

And at the end if the day why would I post negative opinions about any of these bass players. These guys "made it" I didn't and many of you haven't either.

Blue

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1449702401' post='2926210']
If he leaves you cold, were you ever warm in the first place?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x06PdHYYIg8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x06PdHYYIg8[/url]
[/quote]

Fantastic! Thanks for the link. What Jaco plays at the 8:50 mark; I've just rewatched that about 10 times!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449704191' post='2926229']
And at the end if the day why would I post negative opinions about any of these bass players. These guys "made it" I didn't and many of you haven't either.

Blue
[/quote]
Hold on. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't express an opinion on someone unless we're as [i]famous[/i] as they are??

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1449704601' post='2926235']

Hold on. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't express an opinion on someone unless we're as [i]famous[/i] as they are??
[/quote]

That would be only 1 reason you should hold your opinion.

What I'm really suggesting is post your opinions on things you know something about. Posting a negative opinion on any iconic bass player based solely on the fact you don't like them is sort of lame.

Do you like talking about stuff you know nothing about?

Blue

Edited by blue

You can listen to something *once* and know whether you like it or not. You don't have to know the first damn thing about it to know whether it appeals to your ears or not. Read the OP again -- all he did was to say that he'd heard something and didn't like it. He said "to me, it sounded like..."; he didn't try to present his opinion as fact or anything.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1449707167' post='2926257']
You can listen to something *once* and know whether you like it or not. You don't have to know the first damn thing about it to know whether it appeals to your ears or not. Read the OP again -- all he did was to say that he'd heard something and didn't like it. He said "to me, it sounded like..."; he didn't try to present his opinion as fact or anything.
[/quote]

There are things Jaco does that I don't understand and go over my head and that's what I would have said.

To me, the comment "aimless noodling" regarding Jaco sounds ignorant. That's my opinion.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449703314' post='2926218']
I personally think understanding a little history about iconic musicians and bands is a good thing.

My opinions may be harsh and inappropriate at times but they are based on my historical knowledge not merely talking out of my arse.
[/quote]

Oh get over yourself... :lol: ... Your opinion is no more valid than someone who has never picked up a bass guitar.

It's music, there isn't a league table of who is better than who. Different music appeals to different people...

Edited by CamdenRob

A lot of people like Mark King**. There is no doubting that he has been tremendously influential over the years and a hell of a lot of people picked up the bass in the first place because of him. Myself included, to a fairly large degree.
There are also an awful lot of people who don't like Mark King, and some of them express this opinion in very forthright terms. It's not 'proper' bass, sounds like a canteen of cutlery being thrown down a metal staircase, that sort of thing. I can't say I've ever seen a King fan telling people to give up playing bass or call people 'ignorant', for simply [i]not liking the sound[/i] of it. They take it on the chin because they accept that at the end of the day it is all [i]opinion[/i] and not worth getting all indignant about. Someone doesn't like the same music/player as you. Big deal. If we all liked the same stuff, it would be a tremendously dull world. Some people love Jaco's playing, some people find it fairly unbearable, some people are somewhere in the middle. Accept it and move on.

** [size=3]please note: I am not in any way seeking to compare MK and JP as players. Just thought I'd better clear that up straightaway.[/size]

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1449739748' post='2926329']
A lot of people like Mark King**. There is no doubting that he has been tremendously influential over the years and a hell of a lot of people picked up the bass in the first place because of him. Myself included, to a fairly large degree.
There are also an awful lot of people who don't like Mark King, and some of them express this opinion in very forthright terms. It's not 'proper' bass, sounds like a canteen of cutlery being thrown down a metal staircase, that sort of thing. I can't say I've ever seen a King fan telling people to give up playing bass or call people 'ignorant', for simply [i]not liking the sound[/i] of it. They take it on the chin because they accept that at the end of the day it is all [i]opinion[/i] and not worth getting all indignant about. Someone doesn't like the same music/player as you. Big deal. If we all liked the same stuff, it would be a tremendously dull world. Some people love Jaco's playing, some people find it fairly unbearable, some people are somewhere in the middle. Accept it and move on.

** [size=3]please note: I am not in any way seeking to compare MK and JP as players. Just thought I'd better clear that up straightaway.[/size]
[/quote]

Ahhh but.....

Mark King or Flea?

This is fun, so I'm going to say it again. I don't like Jaco's music. And those of you who dismiss my opinion on the basis that I'm not good enough to be allowed an opinion - how do you know? Ever heard me play? You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine.

This discussion of how "great" Jaco must have been because his music isn't pretty reminds me of a famous put-down, and remember this was intended to be, and was, an insult: "Herr Wagner's music is better than it sounds"

That was an opinion too...

This really is fun, it's like being a greenhouse-effect sceptic.....

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449602714' post='2925112']
You drop a torpedo like "aimless noodling" on Jaco and didn't expect it to tick some of us off?
[/quote]

You're too funny man.

YOU MUST LIKE WHAT I LIKE. YOU MUST LIKE WHAT I LIKE. YOU MUST LIKE WHAT I LIKE. YOU MUST LIKE WHAT I LIKE. YOU MUST LIKE WHAT I LIKE.

Chill.