Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

I personally like his music and appreciate that it's not for everyone but would argue to the death that he brought an [b][i]objectively[/i][/b] undeniable contribution to how the instrument was perceived musically while simultaneously proving that the technical envelope could be pushed much further than it had been at that time.

Yes Jamerson had an equally important mark on electric bass but that's fine too; there's plenty of room and time for us to have had more than one game-changer. Macca obviously gets a mention and we could go on and on. In any genres of music we can find people who took a tradition they grew up listening to and then found a way to push it somewhere it hadn't gone yet.

I, like many bass players, had a period of a few years where I was completely obsessed with checking out his playing and then eventually overdosed on it and left him alone for a few years. I found myself getting distant from his particular style of grooving (the continuous 16ths thing) largely because it is what I'd consider quite an un-vocational means of supporting a lead line in a pop, rock, R&B or even straight-up funk setting (at least if you ask most band leaders). Being that most of the gigs I do aren't jazz fusion kind of stuff I don't really have a canvas to play like that and when I first checked out Jaco I was young and audacious enough to just shoehorn it into originals projects I was part of.

I reckon it's easier to find ourselves polarised by Jaco in conversations like this than it is about other players because a great deal of people don't like that particular brand of jazz fusion which makes it a bit harder to just zone in on the bass playing.

I hate the Beatles. Since [i]forcing[/i] myself to check out the key singles years and years ago to give the music a chance and understand what band leaders meant when they said to play like Macca I have not once put on a Beatles song unless I had to learn it for a gig. That isn't to say that I don't whole-heartedly appreciate that they were (whether I listen to the music [i]now[/i] or not) one of the most important groups of people in popular music writing and thus also instrumentally. I know it's off the beaten track a bit but I feel like it's easier to come down hard on more obscure genres of music and that is epitomised by how appalled people seem when I don't have a stack of Beatles albums knocking about!

Back to the man himself though: I am now finding myself listening mainly to players who lay it down in genres more similar to those that I pay my rent with I did very recently listen to my Jaco collection start to finish and regardless of my now more in-depth sense of sound, time, theory, technique and all that stuff I've found myself doubly blown away by just how groundbreaking the man was and how he really did 'lay it down' with finesse - it just happened to have been in a genre that I don't occupy myself and that few people do.

P.S. the lines and solos haven't got any easier at all either...... not one bit. Can't touch most of it!

I think importantly that it really is ok if you don't like Jaco's playing or music. If you wanted to add weight to your playing then checking out everyone from the instrument's history might be a route to take and that would inevitable include players you don't like. Whether you then choose to become a fan of the records is up to you!
No one on this forum knows what you're trying to get out of music or more specifically the bass nor is anyone's taste better than anyone else's so ignore the quite high level of bashing that's going on albeit that this topic was bound to be a can o' worms!

[quote name='BenTunnicliffe' timestamp='1449620619' post='2925366']
I personally like his music and appreciate that it's not for everyone but would argue to the death that he brought an [b][i]objectively[/i][/b] undeniable contribution to how the instrument was perceived musically while simultaneously proving that the technical envelope could be pushed.[/quote]

Great commentary, however, IMO the OP was trolling.

Just wanted to get that out there before the thread is closed.

Blue

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449496563' post='2923995']
Of course all music is totally subjective but what I've heard of Jaco Pastorius has been a total let down compared to what I've heard other people say about him*
Granted, I've only heard some of the most well known tracks and to me it was just disjointed... It sounded like I'd just walked into any guitar shop in the world... Aimless noodling...

Anyone got any suggestions that may change my mind?
[/quote]

While you're at it throw Mingus, Orsted Pederson, Clarke, and Berlin under the bus too. They were considered ground breaking bassists as well.

[quote name='Behlmene' timestamp='1449628114' post='2925386']

While you're at it throw Mingus, Orsted Pederson, Clarke, and Berlin under the bus too. They were considered ground breaking bassists as well.
[/quote]

Excellent comment and rebuttal of the OPs nonsensical opinion.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449624305' post='2925384']

Great commentary, however, IMO the OP was trolling.

Just wanted to get that out there before the thread is closed.

Blue
[/quote]

I'm glad you made this point. I'm not sure that you had made your feelings sufficiently clear previously....

I don't like Jaco. I won't deny his technical skill - what would be the point? Or his mastery of theory. IN MY OPINION, though, there's nothing else there. No sense of beauty, or human quality. Its a structurally perfect, exquisitely detailed empty vessel.

I won't deny he's been hugely influential either. Whether that's a good thing is another matter....