Why become a member? ×

MM Status Stingray 4

stingrayfan

[quote name='martthebass' post='281412' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:10 PM']SRF did you have the neck fitted by Status?[/quote]
Yes, I don't trust myself with a drill. :)

[quote name='jonthebass' post='281407' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:04 PM']How's the Nordy p'up sounding, Does it do what you expected?[/quote]
I tried it as an experiment and it sounds hotter than the original (always felt my Ray was bit underpowered) and it a bit more mellow, with less "clack" if you know what I mean. Still has the sound though.

It [i]might[/i] be at the bash. Depends if there's any room with all those boutique rigs that are coming. :huh:

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='281601' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:30 AM']Yes, I don't trust myself with a drill. :)

I tried it as an experiment and it sounds hotter than the original (always felt my Ray was bit underpowered) and it a bit more mellow, with less "clack" if you know what I mean. Still has the sound though.

It [i]might[/i] be at the bash. Depends if there's any room with all those boutique rigs that are coming. :huh:[/quote]

THERE WILL BE ROOM, THE VOLVO TAKES ALL!!! *bwahahahaha! :huh: *

That is, if you do end up gettin a lift with me! :huh:

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='martthebass' post='281412' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:10 PM']That brings tears to me eyes. SRF did you have the neck fitted by Status? I fitted a Status fretless neck to a Jazz a couple of years back - it worked ok but it would only fit well on one out of the 2 Jazzes I had.

Pity the Black neck wouldn't suit my Red Ray so well.......or would it?[/quote]
yes, it will :)

but yeah that is one of the nicest looking stingrays i'v seen, its [i]almost[/i] as nice as mine, but not quite :huh: :huh:

why did you swap out the pickup??

Edited by BassManKev

How much more black can you get? none more black :huh:
Absolutely stunning, i would love to give it a good slapping, i have a nordstrand in my Sterling and i love it, they are designed to replicate the sound of early stingrays so they are a lot mellower than the stock pickups, but still have a nice top end (especially with a graphite neck), ive tried lots of stingrays in the past and shy,d away from them as i found them a bit too clacky but always loved the sound Louis johnson got on the quincy jones stuff, but recently got my sterling and im firmly converted to musicman.
Im raising a glass to the "STEALTHRAY" nice work Matt!!!!!-all the best- lee

Gorgeous! Looks like the 'Ray version of my Retroactive... :) Bring it to the bash, oh yes, must have a spank on that :huh:
[/quote]

Edited by lee650

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='284845' date='Sep 16 2008, 11:07 AM']wowza.

That does look stunning. How are you finding the neck then? I adore the neck on my ray, I havent played a nicer neck, BUT, I just went carbon fibre too with a flea bass. cant firgure out if I like it or LOVE it. its got the same spacing as the status if im not mistaken, 17mm?[/quote]

I've got graphite lustings... Modulus, Status, Vigier... hmm... what to do? (apart from get them all, naturally)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='284845' date='Sep 16 2008, 11:07 AM']How are you finding the neck then? I adore the neck on my ray, I havent played a nicer neck, BUT, I just went carbon fibre too with a flea bass. cant firgure out if I like it or LOVE it. its got the same spacing as the status if im not mistaken, 17mm?[/quote]
It feels smaller to me - it's definitely less chunky nearer the nut, which I like. I chose to have it fitted for the feel of graphite more than the sound. I love the smoothness of it. Found my old SR neck a bit too chunky and coarse. This allows you to play really fast. :)

Just plugged it in through my Trace Elliot combo and it sounds like a SR on steroids now. Will have to gig it to get a proper feel for what its like loud but it's might be a wild beast to tame!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='285260' date='Sep 16 2008, 05:43 PM']It feels smaller to me - it's definitely less chunky nearer the nut, which I like. I chose to have it fitted for the feel of graphite more than the sound. I love the smoothness of it. Found my old SR neck a bit too chunky and coarse. This allows you to play really fast. :)

[b]Just plugged it in through my Trace Elliot combo and it sounds like a SR on steroids now.[/b] Will have to gig it to get a proper feel for what its like loud but it's might be a wild beast to tame![/quote]
yes yes that is exactlyyyyyyyyy how it sounds, brilliant

by the way,other great advantages your about to discover include only having to tune your bass when you change strings (the neck doesnt budge), and you dont have to worry about adjusting intonation in the summer or winter months (graphite is not effected by temperature changes)

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='285269' date='Sep 16 2008, 05:52 PM']yes yes that is exactlyyyyyyyyy how it sounds, brilliant

by the way,other great advantages your about to discover include only having to tune your bass when you change strings (the neck doesnt budge), and you dont have to worry about adjusting intonation in the summer or winter months (graphite is not effected by temperature changes)[/quote]

A big downside is that you must be really careful if playing underneath very low high voltage power lines :)