Why become a member? ×

keeping having BAD thoughts ....

Geek99

I've got a Squier Tele and a Fender Jag, have lots of fun with them

I taught myself to play guitar* purely cos who else did I expect to play on my own recordings ? It turned out that I quite enjoyed it too !

(*From the sleeve notes of Blur albums and a big book of chords !)

Edited by ahpook

I think, and this is a bit sketchy, that I played solely bass for the first 2 years before picking up a guitar and learning the E Barre Chord. From there is was a short haul to learning open chords and beyond. 20 odd years on I'm now not sure what is my first instrument (probably whichever I'm practising at the time)

It's not the dark side, just a shade or two that way.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1447071157' post='2904526']
:o Is that an americanism I spot? Is that an americanism I spot [b]in a post written by Dad himself[/b]? :P
[/quote]

Good gracious..! Have I unwittingly fallen foul of some transatlantic conspiracy..? Pray indicate the[i] faux pas[/i] committed; I'd not wish to set an unfortunate precedent, and will gladly do penance if it rids me of these demons. Luckily I'm already seated, but I feel a giddy spell coming on. Tea, that's the answer. Tea.
([i]Dodders off to put the kettle on, with evident difficulty in maintaining balance, murmuring soundlessly[/i]...)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1447059887' post='2904387']
You're not a bass player, you're a musician.

Play as many musical instruments as you can.
[/quote]

+1 .
I'm worse than cr&p on a guitar . I was thinking about getting a cheap one and trying again.
I just don't like the feel of one In my hands
For some bizarre reason, yesterday I was looking at glockenspiel / xylophone on you tube .
It would probably sound too noisy for the flat , and not good for metal .

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1447058000' post='2904373']
Anyone else wobbled from the righteous path like this ?
[/quote]

Recently bought a tatty 1989 Epi Les Paul, refreshed the hardware and electronics as a little project and am re-learning to play guitar. I played guitar back when I was 15/16 before bass but bass will always be my instrument.

I reckon learning to play guitar could help develop techniques that you might not as a bass player. I Certainly need to get better with nmy fretting hand and build more dexterity, doing it initially in the easy-mode of a guitar (light strings, small spans, etc.) will help.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1447062745' post='2904425']
Just remember that you are a bass player.

I found this quote on fretboard.co.uk which, as I'm really a bass player, made me smile.

[size=5][color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."[/font][/color][/size]

Anyone know who said it in the first place?
[/quote]

Want that on a t-shirt!!

I know what you mean. I wish that I played the piano as well as I do the bass. For my whole life I have been impressed by my father's ability to open any piano score and play it straight. He is very old now and his timing and sight reading skills are fading fast, but still...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1447075434' post='2904577']
I don't play bass at all anymore, I only play guitar.
I'm a pretty terrible guitarist but I find that I get far more enjoyment out of playing guitar badly than I ever did out of playing bass well.
[/quote]
Get out ! out out !

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1447071949' post='2904537']
Good gracious..! Have I unwittingly fallen foul of some transatlantic conspiracy..? Pray indicate the[i] faux pas[/i] committed; I'd not wish to set an unfortunate precedent, and will gladly do penance if it rids me of these demons.
[/quote]

Oh. Since you didn't spot it yourself, I guess I spotted it fauxpasly, and it's not an americanism at all.
It was just that I thought I was taught in an earlier thread that Mercans would say "those that" about people, whilst Brits would say "those who".
Maybe not then.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1447096228' post='2904853']
Oh. Since you didn't spot it yourself, I guess I spotted it fauxpasly, and it's not an americanism at all.
It was just that I thought I was taught in an earlier thread that Mercans would say "those that" about people, whilst Brits would say "those who".
Maybe not then.
[/quote]

Ha..! I'd accept 'Those whom ...' much more easily, as in 'Those whom I admire are long since dead.'..! :lol:

I have to admit I was in Denmark street last week and ended up buying a 6 string electro acoustic. My sig line should now read "Fender Telecaster, Patrick Eggle NY, Simon and Patrick SP6, Fender Sonoran" in addition to the Bass kit. I was always a guitarist, but not a very good one. I still enjoy playing guitar in my bedroom and to be honest if I'm writing songs I generally start on the six string.