Why become a member? ×

I noticed that Simple Minds are being supports by the Stranglers

mentalextra

I was a big fan as a kid in the 70s and early 80s, but can't really imagine them without High Cornwell up front.
I saw him on a local TV channel here in Berlin about 10 years ago and he was playing solo in a restaurant :( . That struck me as being a bit of a shame, although he didn't seem unduly upset about the fact.

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1446646887' post='2901089']

!!!!!!!!!

More information needed :lol:
[/quote]

It was at the Kilburn National back in the late 80s/early 90s. The whole place was shaking when EN played - and it's not the most stable building (no pun intended). As far as I recall the crowd seemed to enjoy the support. No idea if it was a deliberate post-modernist ironic booking or just a nightmare for some poor promoter.

Edited by Kirky

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1446657651' post='2901261']
I'd have gone to see both bands "back in the day" had they been playing anywhere near where I was living at the time. However neither band has made any records I'd want to own since the early 80s.
[/quote]

I was lucky enough to see Simple Minds 2 nights in a row the week New Gold Dream was released, at a pretty small club in Auckland. They were awesome. Not sure I'd bother now. The Stranglers have never appealed to me.

Edited by Kirky

Simple Minds closed Edinburgh's Usher Hall for quite a length of time and also stopped rock concerts there due to being so loud that the ancient stucco ceiling decoration started falling onto the crowd. The concerts started again because I saw The Moody Blues there a few years later.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1446647062' post='2901091']
Also: Simple Minds were originally a punk band called Johnny and the Self-Abusers.
[/quote]

In their own words the Stranglers are/were not a punk band

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow8jRgC6TB8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow8jRgC6TB8[/url]

2:27 in Jet's own words