Why become a member? ×

When you've taken your bass playing as far as it gonna go?

kevvo66

Is it time to look at bass lessons to reignite the passion ,I seemed to hit a wall at the moment there stuff I'd love to play but am afraid to try it on my own , love to learn to read music to ,any really good bass players in Nantwich , Cheshire area people looking for new students they seem to be none existent around these parts
From

guys who teach guitar and offer bass lessons , who you can leave for dead when they ask about the bass you know your onto a none starter ,oh bugger

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1446244375' post='2898141']
I will have played close to 75 four hour bar shows this year. While I'd love to play 1.5 hour shows as a headliner to 200-500 seat venues I think the bar band level is as far as I will go.

Blue
[/quote]

Similar attitude - but less gigs. Reached my level years ago.

I thimk the trick is to know it, then enjoy what you got rather than worry about it.

Guest Jecklin

No disrespect to anyone, but don't be your own worst limiting factor.

A teacher (the right teacher, as you've highlighted kevvo66) will put you on a new journey as a musician.

What you might need to do will have no relevance to the bass playing you perform with, but will allow you to grow.

Why not get a copy of the Bach cello suites, not because you want to play them (I use them the whole time, but find them a little insipid at times) but they are FANTASTIC exercises when broken down into 4, 8,16 and so on, bar sections. They will teach you to read and force you to tackle your bass guitar outside of the finger/hand shapes that have got so normal to you.

Good luck and have fun :)

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1446246481' post='2898156']
I have done even fewer (and I have never done a 4 hour - they are all 2 hour ones where we are) and don't really have a sticking level. Certainly would never like to get to a level where I didn't think I could go any further.
[/quote]

Its not a case of couldnt, more of happy with it at this level. I enjoy gigging, but dont enjoy, or even bother practicing much these days.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1446248139' post='2898172']
Its not a case of couldnt, more of happy with it at this level. I enjoy gigging, but dont enjoy, or even bother practicing much these days.
[/quote]

Thats fair enough and obviously the goal is to get to somewhere you are happy.
I couldn't be happy with doing that because for me it would be just too much like a day job if there was no progression or change. I guess I would probably stop if I got to that point.

I'm pretty happy with where I am playing-wise. I don't slap, I don't use a pick and I've got no desire to learn. So I take up songwriting instead, using what I have to do something new.

Then again, someone in the band comes up with something challenging they want me to play on bass, so there's always that. Don't want to let them (or myself) down so sometimes I still get opportunities to play something I can't without a lot of practice and hard work ;)

The Ox took bass playing as far as it could go and that was in the 60's. Then Larry Graham took bass playing as far as it could go and that was in the 70's. Then Billy Sheehan took bass playing as far as it could go and that was in the 80's. Then Victor Wooten took bass playing as far as it could go and that was in the 90's. Etc.

I think the point is, there is no such thing as taking bass playing as far as it can go.

I am also thinking lately that my playing could be a lot better and am regretting not working at it harder over the years.

I heard someone at work mention that he gives guitar lessons the other day so I asked him if he does bass lessons too. He said no, but could put me in touch with someone if I wanted. He asked what level I was at and I said that I felt I'd hit a wall and wanted to get over it. He said "have you ever played in a band"? I said yes, he said "join another" I told him I was in a band and I'd been playing for almost 40 years. He said "go and play some gigs" I told him I'd played hundreds. He said "you don't need lessons then"

I probably don't need lessons to play the songs I play, in the band I'm in, but that doesn't stop me feeling that I could do better....

These days I'm happy enough at my level. I'm not a technical player, I'm far from brilliant and I could go out, if I wasn't gigging and find better players than me every weekend. Thing is though, my enthusiasm is still there, it is greater than my ability and I'm happy with that.

I'm good enough to play with a decent and in demand covers band, along with the occasional dep to keep me on my toes.

If I did want to get better, learn to read, or get some different techniques under my belt, then I would be looking for one to one lessons.

Maybe time to start considering just music rather than playing bass - e.g. doing something like singing in a local choir is going to develope your musicianship in ways that sitting down with your bass won't necessarily, but you still get to reap the benefits of the ear training and improved vocal confidence when you pick up your bass and want to transcribe a line, or sing BVs with the band. IMHO if you try making music with other people in a situation that is unlike what you are used to, it really stimulates the learning process.

I've now started working on classical pieces of music which I can play on guitar I also play keys mandolin a bit but my first love is bass I starte as kid as a guitarist then moved onto bass thanks everyone for their insight .

this style of playing could get very interesting oh yeah eub I got recently so I'm gonna learn that too + I do love a bit of Bach but Chopin could get interesting I've now used the "i" word twice so I'm off too get ready for tonight's gig me old loves 😅

Edited by kevvo66

I will never admit to having reached a level from which I cannot progress, I will always want to get better, something that may spur the OP on is to go back to some songs that inspired you to start playing but you could never get near to, now try them again a few years down the line and you may be inspired by how far you have come.

For me White Boys and Heroes Gary Numan and What a Waste Ian Dury, two songs I never dreampt I could play, the fact that I can now spurs me on to learn more songs

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1446309852' post='2898523']
Maybe time to start considering just music rather than playing bass...
[/quote]

This. I consider myself a musician rather than (just) a bass player. Whatever I discover as I play (and sing) has the potential to impact on on all the other stuff.

On bass, I feel I am a long way from any 'limit'. About a year ago I sat down with a notepad and identified my musical 'inputs' and 'outputs', and the various tools available to me to improve the flow between the two. In case this seems a bit theoretical, here are some examples (definitely not a complete list):

[u]Inputs[/u]
Transcription books
Tutorial books
Tutorial websites
Music on CD and mp3

[u]Outputs[/u]
My contributions to the various bands I play with
My skill set
Enjoyment of music
Being an in-demand player

[u]Tools[/u]
Transcription
Jamming
Learning to improve skill
Learning for performance

I am nowhere near exhausting these!

When I get bored with bass. I pick up the guitar , where the scope to " learn more " is probably greater than on bass .
I'm always surprised to find the amount of stuff that applies to guitar can cross over to bass in some way or another , especially rhythm guitar technique .

Improvements to your playing seem to happen at snails pace ( for me anyway ) , but if I think back to 1 year ago , I always seem to find a few chops or fiddly bits I can do now , that I could not do previously .

I think finding a good bass tutor would be the way forward .

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1446409399' post='2899204']
When I get bored with bass. I pick up the guitar , where the scope to " learn more " is probably greater than on bass .
I'm always surprised to find the amount of stuff that applies to guitar can cross over to bass in some way or another , especially rhythm guitar technique .
[/quote]

This^

I'm still crap after playing for years in blues / soul / 60s bands.
To get the appropriate kick up the bum I pick up a guitar and a slide and go into delta blues mode using D or G tuning.
It's totally alien to bass playing but seems to work for me.
I'm sill crap but it's lots of fun. :D

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1446409399' post='2899204']

Improvements to your playing seem to happen at snails pace ( for me anyway ) , but if I think back to 1 year ago , I always seem to find a few chops or fiddly bits I can do now , that I could not do previously .

I think finding a good bass tutor would be the way forward .
[/quote]i think you're right...lol

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1446413642' post='2899262']
The easiest way to develop your bass playing is to join a band that is musically and/or technically outside of your comfort zone.
[/quote][quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1446413642' post='2899262']
The easiest way to develop your bass playing is to join a band that is musically and/or technically outside of your comfort zone.
[/quote]wouldn't be that easy, after all, why would they want you in the first place..
Even Joe Zavinul took a bit of convincing before he took on Jaco

I think the best way to move forward is to learn to 'practice' correctly and then do it daily, and as often as possible

Edited by Shonks