Why become a member? ×

When you've taken your bass playing as far as it gonna go?

kevvo66

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1446418390' post='2899310']

I think the best way to move forward is to learn to 'practice' correctly and then do it daily, and as often as possible
[/quote]

I think this is spot on. Find a routine that gradually progresses you. Jaco did say "The only shortcut is the long way".

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1446413642' post='2899262']
The easiest way to develop your bass playing is to join a band that is musically and/or technically outside of your comfort zone.
[/quote]

This.

There's lots of reasons a band would want to take someone on.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1446479111' post='2899660']
You guys....stop worrying about being bass heroes. Just write something you like, arrange it with your band and experience joy.
[/quote]

This is my approach really. The only time I get technically better at the bass is when I write something I can't play, so I then I have to practise until I can.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1446481026' post='2899687']
This is my approach really. The only time I get technically better at the bass is when I write something I can't play, so I then I have to practise until I can.
[/quote]

Totally this. I find it nearly impossible to learn anything for the pure sake of learning. If it has no immediate practical application there are too many other things that I would find more important to do.

I am not sure I answered the question correctly.

There will always be room for improvement. I probably learn something new every time I pick up my bass.

However, I don't think I'll be going any further than the bar band level. I am happy with the 70 shows we do annually. I know guys that have nothing going on.

Blue

I'll echo what's been said already, the way you practice is the biggest factor of progress IMO.
I can only speak for myself but I wasted a decade practising without any direction. Since discovering "deliberate practice" I have improved massively, practice for me now is bloody hard work but progress is happening & I always know what to practice because I have long term & short term goals mapped out & broken down into chunks of activities to get me there.
You have to be uber honest with yourself & say you were sh*t if you were sh*t in order to highlight areas of improvement then work on them slowly until you crack it.

I'm sure if your honest with yourself there's something you can't do that you can work on therefore highlighting that actually, your playing hasn't gone as far as it can go.

Guest bassman7755

In my experience people reach ruts/plateaus because they are weak in a key area and it has become the limiting factor no matter how much effort they put into other areas. So identifying weaknesses and working on them is key, often the weakness will be something you don't like working on (which is why its become the weakness in the first place).

Edited by bassman7755

OK,I'll be 70(can't believe it)next year and I've been playing acoustic guitar and tenor(!) banjo for most of that time and have gigged in folk,trad/Dixieland,solo,duo and trios and various bands up to eight piece.I started on electric bass about 30 years ago and have played in big swing bands and a variety of jazz standards groups and blues/dance bands using my trusty old Yamaha 750A with flats.I read reasonably well and was more or less competent enough to get by and can play/fake my way well enough to play the gigs but I was losing interest in improving and seemed to have reached a plateau and practicing didn't seem to help but I still loved playing.
Then about a year ago I answered an ad and picked up a Stagg EDB34 and the revolution began.For about 4 months I made a point of trying to play the beast using Geoff's lessons and others to try and learn how to play properly, working on it about 2 hours every day(I have a job but I have no life).I finally started using it on gigs for some songs but playing mostly the BG on gigs.Then I came across a used Yamaha SLB 200 at a reasonable price and have been using that for the last few months and I love it!Moving to EUB has opened many doors and has been an incredible challenge and a lot of FUN,I'm even working on the bow.My reading has improved immensely and I find I'm playing much more interesting bass lines than I used to,the upright is a whole new instrument.My bass guitar playing has also improved and I'm doing stuff I never did before and it feels great.I now think of myself as a "bass player" instead of a guitar player who plays a bit of bass and it feels good.I may look for a teacher soon so my progress can go in more directions.

As some others have said- get into a new band,play some different music or another instrument,work on your reading skills and play with people who are better than you so you have to stretch a bit.The other members of the band I am in(jazz standards mostly)are amazed at how much my playing has changed and improved in the last few months and I am having a great time and feeling more competent as time goes on.I use the SLB 200 on most songs and only use the BG when I need that sound.More lessons and more listening to great players and lots of rehearsals and a few gigs-that's how I'll be spending my time in the long Canadian winter.
All the best and good luck.

Edited by Staggering on

I am 71 & have played banjo bass and guitar since the age of 10.
First paid gig was in 1955 - on banjo.
Bought my first bass guitar in 63.
The limiting factor for me these days is physical. I have real bad arthritis in both hands, but also in my arms and legs.

Other than that, I am still growing and learning as a player, but these days I finally realised that groove really IS all that it is about.
Best technique in the world cant make you a player other people want to work with.
It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing...