Why become a member? ×

Used gear market

Damonjames

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1445940886' post='2895513']
I'm going to contradict bassman7755 it should be the other way around ... If you aren't willing to ship it ( especially at the buyers cost) ..You must be willing to accept a slightly below market value for your product .
[/quote]

Thats what I said - I tend to discount vs the going rate when selling collection only.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1445880168' post='2895007']
Good advert.
Decent pictures.
Flexibilty in courier/meet up.
A price that is fair to both buyer and seller.

Too many look at Feebay prices and expect the same on here.
Feebay now, people basically try to cover the 13.4 % charges (inc carriage). Hence basses up for months in there.
Any £950 for basses that cost £700 15 years ago? Gi yer heid a shake.
If you look back at the popular quality instruments on here, you will see a consistence in prices THAT BASSES HAVE SOLD AT.
US Precision MM Sterling and Bongo usually SELL around £650/£700
US Jazz and MM Stingray usually SELL around £700/£750
If anybody wants more they will usually be in for a wait.

The one that really pisses me off "will travel 25 miles radius for petrol money"
[/quote]

Spot on as usual buddy! Too many don't seem to get depreciation and reality.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1445974326' post='2895880']
I think the BassChat market place has changed quite a bit since I've been here. The amp section maybe not so much but the bass section is dominated by high end gear it seems. There's very little in the £200-£500 bracket and less still in the under £100. There's also a considerable number of mainland European sellers, not a bad thing, but the reach of the site has definitely broadened.

There seemed to be considerably more trading and dealing in lower value basses a few years ago. You don't see many Squiers etc.
[/quote]

Slight tangent to the discussion, but I'd actually like to see a price based part of the For Sale section : Perhaps sub £500, as I find myself trawling through a lot of ads for stuff in which I either have no interest (6 string boutique 'coffee table' basses), or would like but can't justify the outlay ( a 1964 'YOB' precision).

If I could go in and know that everyrthing in there would fit within what I would be prepared to spend, I'm immediately more engaged and more likely to take a regular look. It's nice to look around Harrods, but it's not something I'd do every day - whereas M&S, I might go into much more frequently - if the analogy makes sense?

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1445967194' post='2895783']
I'm sure that there are many former Wal owners who sold when they weren't "flavour of the month" and now see similar items selling for thousands - there's a lesson there...
[/quote]

I was in the Bass Centre one lunch time, about 20 years ago, and a guy came in trying to sell a Wal Pro-1. He only wanted £300 for it but they sent him away with a "can't sell those things these days"!! I wasn't playing 4's but why didn't I just buy the bloody thing and work out if it was a sensible move later!!

Edited by chris_b

Regarding delivery, any musical instruments I've sold over the years I've always packaged up to pretty much survive a pretty good beating. All have arrived fine but I completely understand why people would be reluctant to post some things. My Mrs sold a china gallon teapot for £800 a couple of years ago and it was to be sent to the states. In order to not be completely stupid in its postage price she needed to box it up in a smaller box than she'd like. The time between postage and delivery was a bit of a nightmare of nervousness.

I think that as a seller- if you require a buyer to collect, you immediately need to consider selling at a lower price in order to bring in potential buyers who are further afield and may have to factor in a tank of fuel to the price. I've had people come and collect things that I have offered to post, purely to ensure that any transit damage is their fault, not a random courier.

Basschat is not representative of the average bassists' equipment. I bet the top selling bass in the country is a Squier Precision (or others around £300), but you see mostly thousand pounds plus things for sale here. Perhaps people realising they don't need such exquisite ostentatious belongings to play roots down the pub?

I see a few basses in the £250-400 bracket sitting for ages for what I would consider to be bargain prices. Dunno what's happening with that. I've got something to sell in this ballpark and to be honest I can't see the point of advertising it here.

Just a thought, but when you see people posting N[B/A/C/FX]D threads proclaiming [insert item] to be absolutely the best thing since sliced bread, then the same person is listed the aformentioned item for sale shortly thereafter, or an expensive item gets flipped repeatedly by several members in short succession, it doesn't really inspire confidence for the buyer IMHO.

If you also consider how much hyping the current flavour of the month goes on in the forum, this must have a knock on effect psychologically in buyers minds - if the latest[XYZ] is so much better than [ABC], why would you want to buy a used [ABC] with no guaruntee or right to return that might have been thrashed to within an inch of its life at 80% the cost of a new [XYZ]?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1445878330' post='2894977']
Having got a bass up for sale in the marketplace I think C is a biggie. Can't believe how quickly you disappear from the front page, and with the 36 hour bumping rule you really see how much else is available when you trawl through to find your own post!
[/quote]

I was surprised by this! I put an ad up on Sunday afternoon, by tea time it was way down the second page. I typed most of it out again, thinking it hadn't actually posted, before thinking to check past the first page. That's the downside of such an active markeplace on this site! :D

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1446051568' post='2896541']
I was surprised by this! I put an ad up on Sunday afternoon, by tea time it was way down the second page. I typed most of it out again, thinking it hadn't actually posted, before thinking to check past the first page. That's the downside of such an active markeplace on this site! :D
[/quote]

Yep, moving like an autocue at the moment :huh:

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1446136118' post='2897237']
Just to add in, I thought 700 ish quid for a stingray was pretty good value, then I saw today that PMT have them on for £1099 new!!!
Given you might be able to knock some off the price, I'd see 3-4 hundred extra on a brand new one makes a whole load more sense.
[/quote]

Doubt you would get anything off that - GAK doing same price but Thomann £1300, so this must be rock bottom. Which means that the £700 secondhand price is still 40% off the new price, which seems fair.

Clearly the market has slowed down. It takes ages to move on most stuff, except for pedals and cheap basses. My theory is that those that could spend money have taken advantage of these past few years to buy lots of stuff at good prices - now they've ended up with too many basses and realise some have to go. Those that couldn't spend still can't (probably even less so), and can only trade at best. As a consequence, there's lots of more or less expensive stuff 'for sale only' (the people that have too much stuff, plus those needing cash) that sits for ages, eventually traded most of the time. With a few exceptions if you get lucky and there is a person or two (but don't expect more) out there that wants exactly the item you're selling.

All other considerations about ads, etc don't help, but are secondary I think.

Just had a quick look at Basses For Sale, and as I type this there are FIVE Foderas on the front page, all from low-posting EU-based members, prices ranging between £4750 and £9900.

The marketplace as it stands is really of less and less use to the majority of contributing community members, and I feel somewhat alienated by this. I have a few basses I'd like to sell myself but can't help feeling my selection of £150 cheapos don't really belong alongside all this high-end exotica.

And I do feel ever-so-slightly uncomfortable that I'd be expected to pay the same fee as a dealer with a ten grand bass for sale.

J.

There does seem to be a gulf between contributing members and selling members now, which I think is a bit of a negative for the site. It used to be that we had contributing members who sold and bought so much they'd get their leg pulled continually for it.

I feel an influx of £150 cheapos is exactly what the marketplace needs :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1446229176' post='2898001']
There does seem to be a gulf between contributing members and selling members now, which I think is a bit of a negative for the site. It used to be that we had contributing members who sold and bought so much they'd get their leg pulled continually for it.

I feel an influx of £150 cheapos is exactly what the marketplace needs :)
[/quote]

Quite agree, and I refer the honorouable gentleman, and other members, to my comments some posts ago : price banded for sale section is an answer, with perhaps a sub £250, £250 to £1000, and over £1000 delineation. If that's a hassle from an IT perspective, why not just a 'cheap and cheerful' section, for sub £250.

I'd go with a section for community, only viewable to those with a certain post count and an open section for the non community sellers viewable by everybody.
Being a lefty I didn't realise how many FS threads were 1/0 post Europe sellers with no interest in the community.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1446271629' post='2898222']
Bloody foreigners comming on here, paying the marketplace subscription and selling us nice basses...
[/quote]

Ah. So [i]you're[/i] the market for ten grand Foderas, are you? :P

J.