Why become a member? ×

Vanderkley bass amps are they rubbish

richardd

I'd imagine they are for sale because they hold value well so anyone who has one but wants to free up some cash can do so knowing they're likely to get a good price. I tried one once and thought it was fantastic. Sadly I didn't and still don't have the funds.

Vanderkley cabs are handmade in the [s]UK[/s] Netherlands by Mark Vanderkley, so the labour isn't the cheapest in the world. The sound is solid and clean; like Barefaced. Prices are a touch premium, so I guess the attraction to selling them is to free up some cash amongst those who bought, maybe a little above their budget?

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1442773070' post='2869370']
I'd imagine they are for sale because they hold value well so anyone who has one but wants to free up some cash can do so knowing they're likely to get a good price. I tried one once and thought it was fantastic. Sadly I didn't and still don't have the funds.
[/quote]
The one on Ebay is at a BIN of £1000. I believe the list price was £1600, so not holding value that well for something that's been out less than a year.

I honestly think it's the way things work around here. There was a lot of noise about Vanderkley a while back- usually around 12 months later the For Sale pages start to feature things that have had people talking.
I've seen it with Epifani and TC Electronic. The latest seems to be Barefaced cabs and maybe Maruszczyk basses.
No question of the quality of any of the gear whatsoever- it's just word-of-mouth thing kicking in and people trying gear out.
It's great because then a secondary wave of people come and try the s/h stuff out and so on. For instance, I use the aforementioned Epifani cab with a TC Head!!

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1442878973' post='2870269']
I honestly think it's the way things work around here. There was a lot of noise about Vanderkley a while back- usually around 12 months later the For Sale pages start to feature things that have had people talking.
I've seen it with Epifani and TC Electronic. The latest seems to be Barefaced cabs and maybe Maruszczyk basses.
No question of the quality of any of the gear whatsoever- it's just word-of-mouth thing kicking in and people trying gear out.
It's great because then a secondary wave of people come and try the s/h stuff out and so on. For instance, I use the aforementioned Epifani cab with a TC Head!!
[/quote] The funny thing I find is that we get the basschat hype echo chamber where lots of cool stuff gets slightly over hyped - followed by echoes of talkbass-hype echo chamber - meaning we end up with a bunch of european stuff we hype (or slag off the handles) and then a wave of more expensive imported american stuff... which doesn't get slagged off so much cos it cost more to import it (so it's gotta be better right?)
I find the mismatch mildly amusing.

I'm not sure I understand the folk who shell out for the high end gear only to sell it on at great loss a few months later.
I'm from the buy well, buy once school of thought and tend to hang on to stuff until it's either stolen or broken beyond repair.
That said i dod sell a hartke cab once and years ago a Session combo but only after years of use.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1442913577' post='2870385']That said i dod sell a hartke cab once and years ago a Session combo but only after years of use.
[/quote]

A Sessionette 100 by any chance? :)

I used to torture one badly with extended bass feedback drones on my Hofner Verithin. Amazed it carried on working sometimes.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1442914856' post='2870402']
A Sessionette 100 by any chance? :)

I used to torture one badly with extended bass feedback drones on my Hofner Verithin. Amazed it carried on working sometimes.
[/quote]
yes 4x10 sessionette 100 combo - I sold it to moonbassalpha of this parish 25 odd years ago

Our guitarist still uses a Session 75 guitar amp from the same vintage.

Edited by Twigman

I sold my Vanderkley and missed it so much I had to buy another. To my ears, the sound is fantastic and I like the minimalist amp face. Few knobs and switches mean few things for me to mess up. I now have two 410 Vanderkley cabs and the live sound is pristine and can be easily adapted to a vast range of gigging conditions. Of course this is entirely subjective but they are most definitely not rubbish. My first ever bass amp (made by Tandy) was rubbish, though.

Are Vanderkleys worth the money? That would be a better question, but is also very subjective.