Why become a member? ×

Bass rig advice

stufunkybass

Hi,

Having recently purchased a rather nice Sandberg California TT, it's time to look at my bass rig.

I would like ideas/ recommendations.

I do a few quiet practices/rehearsals with an am dram company, and also have recently started to work with a trio playing Weller, Stereophonics and Foo Fighters.

Currently I have a TC rig (classic 450 and rs212). But find its too much for panto rehearsals etc.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers

Stu

Keep what you have and get a 15" cab to use with the head just for the Am Dram. Usually you just want a bit of bass presence to sit underneath the performers, who in my experience, aren't loud enough to carry over a big live band, even with a sound crew who know what they're doing and radio mics.

Edited by TimR

But you're happy carrying the RS212 for the rock gigs?

Honestly, doesn't need changing. Keep the same rig for everything and use the EQ to make it work. With the am-dram group you can just boost the tube tone a touch and cut the mids slightly. Keep the volume down and jobs a good 'un.

No need to spend out on stuff you don't need!

I solve this sort of problem with my Hartke Kickback 10. I bought it for acoustic open mic's where there isn't space, time or need for anything bigger. I use it a lot more than I thought as it will just about do for rehearsals and (rock) gigs in small pubs so long as you don't boost the bass at all. They don't make this model any more but you can pick them up used at about £100 so it isn't an expensive solution. Other makes are available I just haven't tried them.

I don't think I'd go for a bigger combo because size and weight will be an issue again. However I'm with you in wanting the right tools for the job even if I can make do with what I have. If cost is no problem (how does £1000 sound) Then the AER Amp One would be perfect for you.

The other alternative would be to buy a lightweight 1x12 or 1x10 to go with your amp.

I use one of these:http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gallien-kruger-mb112-bass-combo/60011?gclid=CjwKEAjwyemvBRDFpN3E5_bs9BQSJAA5n8L25gwKcYRolt_DwOhL7-im6mRKYEKpQselL9vBwO-8XRoC9K3w_wcB

Great for rehearsals and gigs where you have pa support. I also have the extension cab if I need more volume. Light and relatively inexpensive, it sounds great with my Sandberg too.

I think you're looking for a problem where there isn't one (what you have is perfectly capable of playing quietly or loudly) but if you feel you simply must spend some money the obvious choice is to sell the 2x12 and buy two 112's, then just take one to amdram & both to rock.

Stu, You've got a pretty good rig already and the simple solution is to turn the volume down, if your back is a concern and you need a lighter, more powerful, modular alternative you could use two 112 cabs.

I spent years with two Bergantino AE112 cabs. Together they have a great sound at volume and one works very well in quiet situations. You could add a 112 to your 212 but your amp only goes to 4 ohms. The RH version of your amp will go to 2.6 ohms so you could buy that and an RS112 and run the 2 cabs together and separate. The ultimate modular set up.

IMO, the better loud, light and modular cab solution is 2 of the Barefaced 112's.

I would concur with the 2x1x12 idea mentioned by various people above. If it was me, I'd also consider picking up a secondhand GK MB200 (other tiny amps are available) which would be handy for the amdram stuff, as it's so small you could slip it in the pocket of your gigbag. Keep the TC head for the rock.

How about just adding this

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/tc_electronic_rs_112.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...onic_rs_112.htm[/url]

less than £200, perfect for smaller gigs / amdram stuff and would match the rest of your rig. If you got two you could sell your RS212 for about the same cost and you won't have lost any money.

Edited by mrtcat

My rig is a Little Mark II with a compact 2x10 and compact 1x15 as in the avatar <-. I like the flexibility it gives. The 2x10 for rehearsals, coffee bar gigs etc (which it give more than enough vol and bass for) and the two cabs for bigger gigs or vocal/acoustic only PA covers gigs (pubs, weddings, functions etc). The LMII is light and in a rucksack case. The LMII and the 2x10 seems more back friendly to me than the equivalent Markbass combo.

I love the Markbass stuff but you could get a similar result with lots of other lightweight brands.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1442473673' post='2867143']
No need to spend out on stuff you don't need!
[/quote]

We don't need that sort of attitude on here please

--

Ive owed TC gear, and the rig you have is fantastic and portable. Im more of a markbass fan, but theres not much in it.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1442506452' post='2867449']
My rig is a Little Mark II with a compact 2x10 and compact 1x15 as in the avatar <-. I like the flexibility it gives. The 2x10 for rehearsals, coffee bar gigs etc (which it give more than enough vol and bass for) and the two cabs for bigger gigs or vocal/acoustic only PA covers gigs (pubs, weddings, functions etc). The LMII is light and in a rucksack case. The LMII and the 2x10 seems more back friendly to me than the equivalent Markbass combo.

I love the Markbass stuff but you could get a similar result with lots of other lightweight brands.
[/quote]

I have exactly the same rig and completely agree with the above