Why become a member? ×

If you posted in "Items Wanted" would you reply to someone who PM'd you?

yorks5stringer

I know there have been similar posts regarding Sales and people saying they will buy stuff, then going quiet, but just wonder what the Collective feel about the above issue?

For myself, if I posted in "Items Wanted" and someone contacted me and said "I have this item for sale", I would at least reply to them out of courtesy and ask for further details if interested, or say, "No, that's not what I'm looking for, or I have bought one now, but thanks for taking the trouble to PM me."

Given that we can all see if a PM has been read, and at what time, there should be no excuse for it to be ignored IMHO!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1442239114' post='2865379']
Agreed, but if someone uses the mobile only version, you actually have to click on the navigations function to see whether you have any messages.
I've missed messages this way and think I'm right in saying that once you do check them on a mobile, if you've received multiple messages, once you've clicked the first one the number disappears. Either that or there's something screwy going on with my iPad.
[/quote]
I get email alerts to all PM messages, so I get notified even without having to check on BC. The alert also includes the message text, which is handy.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1442239114' post='2865379']
Agreed, but if someone uses the mobile only version, you actually have to click on the navigations function to see whether you have any messages.
I've missed messages this way and think I'm right in saying that once you do check them on a mobile, if you've received multiple messages, once you've clicked the first one the number disappears. Either that or there's something screwy going on with my iPad.
[/quote]
If,at my end the message is marked as "Read at 10.15 am", would this indicate it has been read on the Mobile version? I guess beyond that it could have been deleted/lost or whatever...

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1442238593' post='2865372']
I know there have been similar posts regarding Sales and people saying they will buy stuff, then going quiet, but just wonder what the Collective feel about the above issue?

For myself, if I posted in "Items Wanted" and someone contacted me and said "I have this item for sale", I would at least reply to them out of courtesy and ask for further details if interested, or say, "No, that's not what I'm looking for, or I have bought one now, but thanks for taking the trouble to PM me."

Given that we can all see if a PM has been read, and at what time, there should be no excuse for it to be ignored IMHO!
[/quote]
Yes, even if I don't need one of whateveritis any more. You went to the trouble to answer my ad, so you deserve an answer.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1442241039' post='2865402']
Yes. It's basic good manners and to not reply is nothing other than rude. I only get emails if someone starts a new conversation with me but I regularly check for messages if using my phone.
[/quote]

You can set it to email you each time you get a message, which is what I've done.

OK thanks for your answers, I was wondering if it was just me.

Could someone please explain how "Has left the conversation" Notification works?

Does this happen if a reply is not made within a certain time, or is this receiver activated?

Full disclosure (as you will have guessed), I PM'd someone 8 days ago, they read the PM almost immediately and now it states "Has left the conversation". I was going to PM them again to see if they had missed the original PM but am unsure if "Has left the conversation" means "Leave me alone"!!.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1442241888' post='2865415']
I was daft enough to answer two 'wanted ads' by the same chap over a period of several months for two different things, didn't get a reply to either. I put it down to bad manners but it seems maybe not.
[/quote]

How do you know we are talking about the same chap? ;) I take your point however!

Edited by yorks5stringer

What you're seeing here is the reality of the internet, regrettably. Because we all use IDs and avatars, it's only too easy for folk to forget the "ID" they're being rude to is a real person with feelings.

Don't worry York5stringer, most of us here would email you back and be friendly. We might even have a short chat. But like in all things, there's always some plonker out there who lets us all down.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1442243507' post='2865438']
What you're seeing here is the reality of the internet, regrettably. Because we all use IDs and avatars, it's only too easy for folk to forget the "ID" they're being rude to is a real person with feelings.

Don't worry York5stringer, most of us here would email you back and be friendly. We might even have a short chat. But like in all things, there's always some plonker out there who lets us all down.
[/quote]
:blush: :blush: :blush:

I would try and reply, sometimes I mean to and forget though, but I get sidetracked easily.

I don't trust the message read thing. I know for a fact that a couple of times it's been wrong. Messages have shown as been read when they haven't been.

That's maybe the problem with not being able to reply directly to a wanted advert, it'd be nice to be able to say "PM sent" on an advert.

I don't get emails either for messages.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1442247824' post='2865483']
I always reply, unless it's york5stringer. When I joined BassChat, the memo I received said not to reply to his PMs. Didn't you all get the same?
:ph34r:

:P
[/quote]

Tis true, I received the same Memo too, so they must have sent it to everybody.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1442247824' post='2865483']
I always reply, unless it's york5stringer. When I joined BassChat, the memo I received said not to reply to his PMs. Didn't you all get the same?
:ph34r:

:P
[/quote]
I think you'll find its also in the BC T and C's ;)

Runs for the hills.....

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1442243507' post='2865438']

[/quote]

This^
I also get hacked off when I see something wanted, know I've seen one elsewhere, go to the trouble of finding it, copying, pasting and sending to the "wantee" and the "wantee" doesn't have the courtesy to say thanks.

I am however, guilty of not always replying to pm's immediately. If they come through on my phone I can just about read them, but seeing to reply is another matter :lol:

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1442263300' post='2865660']
This all seems like a good reason to rescind the rule preventing people replying to Wanted threads, it seems like the alternatives are not working. When this rule was introduced a review was promised by the site owners but I don't believe it has happened - happy to be corrected if it has.
[/quote]

But it is working and changing it would not alter the fact that some people just can't be bothered to reply.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1442263707' post='2865666']
But it is working and changing it would not alter the fact that some people just can't be bothered to reply.
[/quote]It's a fair point. I think it's easier to reply to a post than send a pm, but that option isn't available in wanted.

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1442263300' post='2865660']
This all seems like a good reason to rescind the rule preventing people replying to Wanted threads, it seems like the alternatives are not working. When this rule was introduced a review was promised by the site owners but I don't believe it has happened - happy to be corrected if it has.
[/quote]

This was put into place as too many unscrupulous folks were replying to 'Wanted' ads with a 'Sales' ad of their own, often not at all connected with the item asked for, thus bypassing forum Marketplace fees. The same occurs with open offers of trades elsewhere in the Marketplace; precluded for the same reason. With no abuse, there'd be no need for these measures. Is there any valuable reason to suppose that these abuses would no longer occur if the rules were relaxed..? The subject is a permanent one (amongst others...) for the Mod and Admin team.