Why become a member? ×

It's a good job I'm not sensitive...

MarkW

At rehearsal a while back, while I was making the coffees, rhthym guitarist picks up my bass and starts bashing away at Vertigo, drummer joins in and lead guitarist as well, by the first chorus his timing was all over the shop, I was laughing so hard I spilt the coffees. He shamefacedly handed me back my bass with a mumbled 'not as easy as it looks is it'

Result!!!

I'm feeling quite lucky I don't have any people like that in my band. Everybody in it seems to play guitar, bass and drums to a fairly decent standard. Our drummer is actually a bassist originally so everybody knows how important each aspect is which is useful.

If I were you I would have left long ago. I certainly wouldn't be carrying their gear everywhere.

I'm assuming they take the piss in a light hearted way, cod if they are not, I would tell them where to go! I used to get similar "abuse" from my mate who is our guitarist. Years ago we were a two piece and he suffered carpal tunnel syndrome and couldn't play for about a year ( too tight to go private) everyone was asking what would I do? He laughed and said no one would want to play with me. What a shock he got a few months later when I announced gigs with a guitarist and drummer! We made up but I was very pissed off with his hurtful and very ill informed comments.

There's no unpleasantness in it at all, it just seems to be a natural assumption that playing one note at a time makes the bass the easiest instrument to play.

We all make the occasional mistake, but mine always seem to get more of a reaction from the band - almost as if making a mistake on such a simple instrument seals my reputation as a complete imbecile. Anyway, I always point out two things. The first is that only me and the drummer play the entire set completely from memory: keys, guitar and vocals all have charts for every song, and still make mistakes. I don't want to open the old music stands on stage debate again, but in my opinion if you can't play 'Don't Stop Believing' after three years without the chart in front of you you've got no business criticising me. Second, the audience might not notice the odd bum note from the bass player, but what they sure as hell will notice is the rest of the band turning round to look at me. Not professional. And besides, when the audience doesn't seem to mind that the keyboard player (who shares vocal duties) has been singing the wrong words to 'Park Life' for three years I don't think they'll be too fussed if I accidentally play a C instead of a G.

Anyway...

I joined this band when our guitarist heard me playing an old bass he had lying around. I was just noodling, because at that point I hadn't played the instrument at all for 20 years, and I hadn't been much good when I stopped. He told me they were looking for a bass player, I auditioned and got the job. In the three years we've been playing together I've got to the point where I can happily stand on a stage in front of 500 punters at one of our charity gigs and knock out Rhythm Stick, Hysteria, Master Blaster - basically anything that doesn't call for fancy slap technique, which I suck at. I think I've done OK with the limited talent available, but our guitarist never misses an opportunity to tell me how many better bass players he's known. In fact he was the reason I quit a jazz band we both joined: as if to prove his point, the first rehearsal I couldn't make he brought in a pro dep who apparently pissed all over me. I'm sure his Mark King slap solo in the middle of 'Moondance' was a joy to behold, but if that's what they want I'm the wrong man for the job.

Again, this probably sounds worse than it is, because I genuinely don't think he realises that it's gone past mildly amusing and is now starting to hack me off. It's my own fault as much as anyone's - if you're happy to poke fun at yourself others will join in, and the line between light-hearted joshing and the downright insulting gets blurred.

Anyone who fails to recognise the contribution made by each individual in any ensemble is a cock, in my book. The whole thing relies on shared ownership of the ensemble sound. Remove any bit and you have a problem. And, unless I am mistaken, the one note at a time thing also applies to saxophones, flutes, oboes, bassoons, French Horns, trombones, trumpets, piccolos, English Horns, clarinets.... you get the point.

Personally, I would have driven them and their gear TO the gig and then left them there, having helpfully supplied a card for a cab firm.

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1439757417' post='2845577']I'll tell you what does p*ss me off good and proper though: as a man of very modest talent on the bass I had to invest some time and effort into learning Rhythm Stick, but our keyboard player couldn't be bothered. He had a few half-arsed stabs at it in gigs and then decided it wasn't a crowd-pleaser. So my one and only chance to shine has been dropped from the set[/quote]

What a waste! .............................................................................................................. :P

There's a difficulty knowing whether this is light hearted ribbing that goes on, and is essential in good functioning bands, or genuine insensitivity. I'm forever ribbing the 2 guitarists about turning up last, and taking as long as the drummer to set up, and almost eternally twiddling knobs in the lifelong search for the perfect tone.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1439804259' post='2845817']
Jolene and higher and higher, while good songs are not that challenging on any instrument. Perhaps you should select something a lot more challenging, and see how good they are on their respective instruments.
[/quote]
Now I like that idea! OK folks, any suggestions for songs that technically challenge everyone in the band? I'm up for it!

It sounds like your own self-deprecating manner (which is a good trait) has been hijacked by the rest of the band to the point that they think it's open-season on slagging you off. If I were you, I'd stop being self-deprecating about your own playing and if they make remarks, just smile and ignore and eventually they'll stop. Plus, make them carry their own f**king gear.

It's very unprofessional for the band to turn and glare at someone who makes a mistake. In my experience, the audience won't notice, but as you say, they will see people making angry faces. You don't see professionals doing that if there is a faux pas.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1439804890' post='2845822']
Now I like that idea! OK folks, any suggestions for songs that technically challenge everyone in the band? I'm up for it!
[/quote]

Highway Star (DP) - then youl see of youve got a real keyboard player or just a pretender B).
Hot for teacher (VH) - torture test for guitar and drums.

Edited by bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1439806335' post='2845830']
It's very unprofessional for the band to turn and glare at someone who makes a mistake. In my experience, the audience won't notice, but as you say, they will see people making angry faces. You don't see professionals doing that if there is a faux pas.
[/quote]

Indeed, I've watched bands whose music I've known quite intimately (because I've been to their rehearsals or even played in the band myself at some point) and have only spotted the fact that a mistake was made by the expressions and body language. By and large the audience will only notice if its a total howler like the time I was a guitarist in a band playing radar love, and the bass player played the intro in the wrong key forcing us to stop and start again ... 3 times in a row by which time everyone in the band and audience was in fits of laughter :rolleyes: .

Edited by bassman7755

Either these guys have a very dry sense of humour or they're just ignorant dicks.

A few years ago our then singing lead guitarist did a dep for a friends soul band on bass He said later that he's never worked so hard in his life, "I couldn't stop for a rest anywhere, I had to keep going all night!"

Many people underestimate what bass payers do and what they contribute to the music, but in the OP's case I think I'd come down on the side of this band just being ignorant dicks.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1439809635' post='2845861']
Either these guys have a very dry sense of humour or they're just ignorant dicks.

A few years ago our then singing lead guitarist did a dep for a friends soul band on bass He said later that he's never worked so hard in his life, "I couldn't stop for a rest anywhere, I had to keep going all night!"

Many people underestimate what bass payers do and what they contribute to the music, but in the OP's case I think I'd come down on the side of this band just being ignorant dicks.
[/quote]

Having played guitar and bass in bands IME playing guitar requires more up front work to learn songs assuming theres some amount of lead work involved but playing bass requires more concentration on the night as you have to pretty much be on point on every note.

Just as you could play to a drum machine in time and doing no fills , you can play to bass player who's just sticking to the roots , playing on beat and doing not passing notes whatsoever .... That's the value you are bringing to the songs filling out the sound tying the beat of of the drums to the tune of the song .. you are the glue ... hand a pure guitar player a bass to find they have no understanding of note length and how you play that note to meet the feel .

I'm being forced to sing more in my outfit after i made the mistake of getting drunk and holdiung a tune at karaoke .
I maintain that i cant play the bass and sing a lead part at the same time ... so the keys player strapped on my tbird and tried to play all been done before ..... CUE some truly awful on time but boring and soulless following of the guitar .... the song felt stodgey and had no jump .

As as for move's like jagger we play that and i pushed myself from the original to this version , ( it starts out as is should then the guy goes for it) whip that out instead of them roots and there's a big difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqyXMXRyD5g

Sounds like next gig you should not drive to ... just arrive with your bass and a DI , play half the set then get drunk ... so they truely see what they sound like without " bass"

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439754728' post='2845531']
They sound like a right bunch of a**holes to be honest... I'd not be putting up with that, plenty of other covers bands out there :)
[/quote]

This, or

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1439755124' post='2845539']
Call his bluff, tell him your taking a break next month but your happy to lend him a Bass.
[/quote]

plus unavailability of said 4x4 and trailer. Let the gits hump their own gear...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439757325' post='2845575']
Very few players of any instrument are genuinely any good. The rest are basically winging it.
[/quote]

Damn, found out. Please don’t tell my band mates :ph34r:

I'd say it's very healthy to have a level of banter in any group, it's a bonding thing, but only the OP can decide whether this is becoming personally abusive and effectively bullying. From the posts, it certainly sounds like it, and it's not a level of sneering I'd put up with without, shall we say, a robust response. It's an enduring meme to consider the bassist to be a lesser contributor, after all it's (usually) only four strings, how hard can it be, etc, but I've never suspected that anyone I've been in a band with has considered my musical contribution to be any less important than theirs. Maybe I just hang out with good musicians. The desire to put someone else down is usually fuelled by an insecurity, which says more about the bully than the bullied.