Why become a member? ×

Are the USA fenders worth the money

ironside1966

Are the USA fenders worth the money, are the Jap ones just as good?

I always wanted a USA fender Jazz but after seeing this post, Found an interesting 'finish' quirk on my jazz bass,
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26434&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26434&st=0[/url]

this has really put me off fenders, such lazy workmanship in the routing send the wrong signals when they are selling a bass on American craftsmanship, so looking for other alternatives. I know you need to try a load of basses to find the right one this is just a hypothetical question at the moment

Lakland skyline, G&L Tribute, Cort GB94 are they on par quality wise as a USA Fender?
Also Geedy Lee jazz bass and other Jap fenders how do they compair with a USA Fender.

I can't tell you from personal experience but I've heard a lot of good things about MIJ/CIJ Fenders. However, the Geddy Lee in particular seems to be highly praised by many and I've heard many people say that in their experience the japanese models can rival the MIAs and even best them.

I think over here a lot of the American made intruments are overpriced because of import costs, plus in a lot of cases if the bass costs say...$1000 they'll sell it over here for £1000, making it twice as expensive or so.

Edited by TheDarkReaver

Don't let my post that you're referring to put you off, and please don't think that I'm unhappy with the bass!

I LOVE my Fender Jazz, it would take a very very special bass to pry this from my number one slot.
Feels great, sounds awesome, constantly performs!! A paint quirk and cost-cutting rout doesn't affect playability or sound!

Definitely explore other avenues like Lakland and G&L etc (wouldn't bother with Cort myself), but give each bass a try and judge each one on it's individual merits!
After all, you wouldn't want to be dismissed as a bad player because you look a little squiffy lol

Si

I love my US P-Bass to bits, but I have to admit that it has had issues-mainly the pickup failing after only a year of fairly light use. I planned to replace it anyway, but would have preferred to do it in my own time. It now has a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder which sounds stonking. I believe if I was spending a similar amount of cash again, I'd look at the made in Japan route. Incidentally, my letter to Fender UK pointing out my displeasure at the pickup failure has had no reply.

If you can afford it and you want to then simply yes.

Does it mean however that CIJ or MIJ Fenders are not better than some US ones? No.

In my experience, US F are made of lovely components and some wonderful bits of wood, but their assembly can be a bit shonky.

The Jap ones however are bit like Jap cars..... they may not have the badge but you'll be hard pushed (very hard pushed) to find a bad one.

Mex F can be a bit of a lottery..... some of teh woodwork comes out of teh same factory as the US articles but maybe made of 3 or more pieces of wood instead of teh 2 a US one will be made of.

Finishing has always been an issue with Mex F as well however you CAN get an abosolute peach of a Mex F that will kick the ass of a US one!

Pays yer money takes yer choice......

My MIA Fender Jazz (1999) is 3 pieces of wood and I suspect my MIA P bass (2004) is also. Doesn't bother me too much I've had MMs and Warwicks with3 and 2 piece bodies - maybe it's just pot luck.
They are both definately better put together than the 2 MIM Jazzes I've had (particularly neck finish and join) but for me the sound is also somehow much better on the US made.

I'd put quality (overall) at about Lakky Skyline levels personally but maybe not up to MM. For me the weight is fairly consistent also - all the recent ones I've played (1999 - 2007) have been around the 8.5 lb mark which is spot on for me.

Money..well that's a bit different, I really don't think I'd pay list at £7-800 on the old S1's but with near mint second handers at £500 I think is hard to beat.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='274854' date='Sep 1 2008, 06:22 PM']Incidentally, my letter to Fender UK pointing out my displeasure at the pickup failure has had no reply.[/quote]

Well, as you’ve placed the corporation on notice, by addressing your complaint to the customer services department in the first instance, and assuming you have a warranty or contractual leg to stand on, why I’d always suggest that your next letter should be sent recorded directly to the chief executive/managing director, outlining your complaint and your dissatisfaction with its handling. You’d be amazed at how often, and how quickly, this will get you a favourable outcome.

IMO, in a word...no, Fender quality control is too hit and miss, Ive played Mexi Jazzes that feel better put together than USA gear, when it comes to fender you're better off just trying a bunch of them be they made in america or japan or mexico until you find that one that feels good in your hands. Having said that the Highway series is a good bang for your buck.

[quote name='noelk27' post='274883' date='Sep 1 2008, 07:59 PM']Well, as you’ve placed the corporation on notice, by addressing your complaint to the customer services department in the first instance, and assuming you have a warranty or contractual leg to stand on, why I’d always suggest that your next letter should be sent recorded directly to the chief executive/managing director, outlining your complaint and your dissatisfaction with its handling. You’d be amazed at how often, and how quickly, this will get you a favourable outcome.[/quote]

It was about a month out of warranty-however I think I might have a crack at this-certainly won't hurt, and you never know what may result. Ta for the advice.

I would personally only hace a Jap one

I've had penty of MIM & MIA and I feel that the only oes that have any consistency are The Jap ones.

You'd be ard pushed to find a bad one.

look at Fender basses that begin 027 or 029 and they are the Japanese ones. There are too few of them still available.

I have (a second-hand) one of each (both Precisions)and, though it pains me (as my CIJ cost less than my MIA), I think the CIJ is nicer to play. It has that difficult-to-quantify feel factor to do with weight, the way the neck feels in your hand etc.

However, regarding component/wood/etc quality, no difference that I can spot.

I would happily go the CIJ route in future and save some dosh.

I have a pair of Lakland Skyline basses and would say that they compare very favourably with MIA Fenders. Personally I think they are generally of better quality and this is reflected in the used market (although rarity is having an effect here as well). A used JO or DJ Skyline is going to start around the £600 mark whilst MIA Fenders are trading in the mid 400's.

I recently picked up an '08 MIA Fender Strat in a trade and I have to say it's really well put together and has a lovely neck. Way nicer, for a US Standard, than ones I've tried in the past.

I think the thing with Fender is that you really need to have a very good look at each one, some are great and others are not as hot - just need to get out there & try a few :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='275168' date='Sep 2 2008, 07:56 AM']:) Who makes Lakland skylines & G&L Tributes? Cort[/quote]

Even so, all things considered, I'd still rather have a Lakland or a G&L over a Cort, and when I say 'All Things', I mostly mean resale value lol

Anyway, I do hear that the CIJ's are as good if not better than the MIA's, but seeing as they've just put their prices up, purchasing one with the same spec as the MIA's will now cost you a similar amount of bunce. The cheaper ones have bassword bodies etc, might as well buy a squier!

Si

The Amerixcan Deluxe series P and J (active) are very well made and finished, far beyond the basic US P & J. I bought a new American Deluxe Precision (active P and MM sytle pickups) and build and finish was first class. Same applies to the US Deluxe Jazz.
The Deluxe P's are available new for around £870 discounted, though is a very different beast to the passive single pickup P.
Do bear in mind that when buying new there will always be big discounts available on any Fender, much less likely with a Lakland

BTW
You can get a new G&L Tribute delivered to you for not much more than £400

Why compromise or take a gamble on getting a "good" Fender? For about the price of a US Fender you could get a hand made Japanese Bacchus which is built to a much higher standard. When you're spending that kind of money you should be guaranteed that every bass is a good bass with no stupid cost-cutting measures (those crappy routes under the scratchplate, for example). IMO, that kind of nonsense is unnacceptable. When you spend big, you should get something which justifies the expense, not something with blatant cost saving measures and inconsistent quality.

Edited by Doctor J

My passive standard MIA jazz kicked the ass of the deluxe Jazz I had for a while....in every way!
But I think that just highlights the fact that you should really just go out and play as many basses as you can, it's such a subjective thing!

Si

Just to clarify - I was referring to the American Deluxe P and Jazz basses - as there is also a Fender Jazz Deluxe (active, non US) also available

P

[quote name='Platypus' post='275179' date='Sep 2 2008, 08:23 AM']The Amerixcan Deluxe series P and J (active) are very well made and finished, far beyond the basic US P & J. I bought a new American Deluxe Precision (active P and MM sytle pickups) and build and finish was first class. Same applies to the US Deluxe Jazz.
The Deluxe P's are available new for around £870 discounted, though is a very different beast to the passive single pickup P.
Do bear in mind that when buying new there will always be big discounts available on any Fender, much less likely with a Lakland

BTW
You can get a new G&L Tribute delivered to you for not much more than £400[/quote]

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='275462' date='Sep 2 2008, 02:38 PM']You can't really (IMHO) slag off Fender (or anyone else) for the quality of a route that is covered by the scratch plate, which, after all, is a standard part of the instrument.

It's a bit like buying a car, taking the bonnet off and then complaining thet the engine isn't very pretty.[/quote]
Yes but that 1oz of wood makes all the difference tone wise.
:)

[quote name='rayfw' post='275468' date='Sep 2 2008, 02:47 PM']Yes but that 1oz of wood makes all the difference tone wise.
:)[/quote]

The tone of mine is sublime!

[quote]Just to clarify - I was referring to the American Deluxe P and Jazz basses - as there is also a Fender Jazz Deluxe (active, non US) also available

P[/quote]

Yeah mine was a American Deluxe Jazz, completely failed to impress in every-way compared to my Standard US

Si