Why become a member? ×

Singer doesn't show up to practice. (and gets to gigs 10 mins before the start)

police squad

[quote name='Chaos Daveo' timestamp='1438810485' post='2837689']
Some people are poo heads, 1st rule of band spend time together and become a band a unit. [/quote]

I think you've missed the point of the thread, it can be difficult to become a unit when people can't be arsed to turn up :P .

The problem is when you advertise for a singer, there's often no requisite for them to have any gear or experience.
So you'll get loads of people who see it as a posh karaoke & to them, why would they want to turn up to see you setting up the karaoke equipment?
As for practice, that's what the shower is for!

Went through a few singists like those. Sacked every one of them at 2nd rehearsal.

I've had this experience too. Only in my case it was more extreme: because I owned the P.A. everybody else in the band seemed to expect that I would just do it all myself so they could stand around and discuss important issues of the day. This went on for a while with me getting increasingly frustrated by having to do all the donkey work, and then set it up and get everything working so we all sounded good, and then playing a 2-hour gig, and then striking it all afterwards. One day I announced that thenceforth I'd be taking an extra 10% of the gig fee for doing this work. After that things got much better.

Moral: the threat of financial sanction can be a powerful motivator.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1438841915' post='2837808']
I've had this experience too. Only in my case it was more extreme: because I owned the P.A. everybody else in the band seemed to expect that I would just do it all myself so they could stand around and discuss important issues of the day. This went on for a while with me getting increasingly frustrated by having to do all the donkey work, and then set it up and get everything working so we all sounded good, and then playing a 2-hour gig, and then striking it all afterwards. One day I announced that thenceforth I'd be taking an extra 10% of the gig fee for doing this work. After that things got much better.

Moral: the threat of financial sanction can be a powerful motivator.
[/quote]

Indeed. I used to do that. The drummer used to complain he didn't get 10% extra to set up his kit that took just as long as the PA. :crazy:

Then he said the band must have paid for the PA by now and shouldn't have to pay any more.

Financial is all well and good but people will still never 'get it'.

In the end you just have to work with what you've got and if it's not working change something and see if it works better. As I say, often it makes things worse. As long as everyone isn't taking the p... out of one person it should be ok.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1438857661' post='2838028']
My job as a dep is always to get asked back.

I have an opinion about everything in my bands (don't get me started), but when I'm depping I never get involved in band politics, personalities, arguments or issues.
[/quote]

The band are moaning about it as well. It's not my beef, I was wondering what experiences other people have had. I dep with them because they are friends of mine. The band is very good, very tight with some quite interesting material that gets me playing in different styles, (although I'm sure Bernard Edwards would rather not hear his bass lines being played with a pick!!)

Edited by police squad

These positives would be enough for me to enjoy a gig despite the other personalities involved.

I've been in four bands with female members. One was talented and a lovely person, the other three should have been fired into outer space.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1438859137' post='2838065']
I've been in four bands with female members. One was talented and a lovely person, the other three should have been fired into outer space.
[/quote]

There are so many people I'd just love to fire into outer space. Once I get the practical technicalities sorted out...

I once led the sacking of a violinist in an acoustic band that would turn up 20 mins before we were due to start, ask where's my mic? (expecting it set up ready) and then pack up and leave 30 seconds after we had been paid.

It still took me a good 6 months to finally get the agreement of the rest of the band.

The singer always arrives at the same time as me. She also helps with loading and unloading (although she's currently excused heavy lifting as she has very bad tennis elbow). I am married to her though.

In the currently-dormant covers band, the singer would do heavy lifting (and the drummer would help too, as well as bringing his kit in) - it was the guitarist who was an idle git.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1438839769' post='2837796']
The problem is when you advertise for a singer, there's often no requisite for them to have any gear or experience.
So you'll get loads of people who see it as a posh karaoke & to them, why would they want to turn up to see you setting up the karaoke equipment?
As for practice, that's what the shower is for!

Went through a few singists like those. Sacked every one of them at 2nd rehearsal.
[/quote]

They'd have to try very hard to convince they are worth a look then. One reason why you don't do newbies.
Let someone else go through the pain of 'teaching' them... :lol:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1438856915' post='2838013']
Indeed. I used to do that. The drummer used to complain he didn't get 10% extra to set up his kit that took just as long as the PA. :crazy:

Then he said the band must have paid for the PA by now and shouldn't have to pay any more.

Financial is all well and good but people will still never 'get it'.

In the end you just have to work with what you've got and if it's not working change something and see if it works better. As I say, often it makes things worse. As long as everyone isn't taking the p... out of one person it should be ok.
[/quote]

This is why the band runs a ktty, but agree the singer might get a decent deal as the band has paid for what might be perceived as his end.
They say the band can use it...but funnily the bass doesn't get to go thru it. :lol:

Basically, if you want an equal split of the money do an equal split of the 'chores; which means admin, P.A, lights etc etc etc.

In the end you'll be billing for time as well.... and the band is on wages.

Not insummountable, but you need people to 'understand' the way things work and how things get down..and not by 'magic' either :lol:

good singers and front person's are rare beasts, if she's good enough be very careful, sometimes you just have to put up with it if the gigs are good enough, our singer leaves all the packing away to the rest of us, we prefer getting home after a gig he wants to stand at the bar chatting to everybody, it's what he does well TBH, we put up with it, oh, and he gets most of the gigs

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438865471' post='2838186']
They'd have to try very hard to convince they are worth a look then. One reason why you don't do newbies.
Let someone else go through the pain of 'teaching' them... :lol:
[/quote]
A luxury being in a city or well populated area is having access to lots of experienced musicians.
Get away to a town & there becomes a lot less in the way of musician & these karaoke people are the majority & you discover there's also an abundance of people who own a guitar who want to join a band.
Never quite got why guitar is such a popular instrument for people to pick up (says he who also owns a guitar).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1438866901' post='2838215']
Never quite got why guitar is such a popular instrument for people to pick up (says he who also owns a guitar).
[/quote]

It's the guitarist gets the girls, innit! (Says he who also owns a guitar and doesn't get the girls). :mellow:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438865924' post='2838195']

This is why the band runs a ktty, but agree the singer might get a decent deal as the band has paid for what might be perceived as his end.
They say the band can use it...but funnily the bass doesn't get to go thru it. :lol:

Basically, if you want an equal split of the money do an equal split of the 'chores; which means admin, P.A, lights etc etc etc.

In the end you'll be billing for time as well.... and the band is on wages.

Not insummountable, but you need people to 'understand' the way things work and how things get down..and not by 'magic' either :lol:
[/quote]

The equal split thing can also get contentious as well. Some people write out arrangements, some deal with bookings. Even spending an hour once every few months checking leads and PA consumables, keeping an uptodate playlist for breaks if you're a function band. Maybe sorting out first dance tune if you're a wedding band.

I'd still rather stick to the singer/(other slacker) turns up, does their bit, goes home, gets paid flat rate for time at gig. Rest gets split.

You'll always get people complaining 'it's not fair', that's life - they can always take up singing or playing the harmonica...