Why become a member? ×

Singer doesn't show up to practice. (and gets to gigs 10 mins before the start)

police squad

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1438858454' post='2838047']
The band are moaning about it as well. It's not my beef, I was wondering what experiences other people have had. I dep with them because they are friends of mine. The band is very good, very tight with some quite interesting material that gets me playing in different styles, (although I'm sure [b]Bernard Edwards [/b]would rather not hear his bass lines being played with a pick!!)
[/quote]

Agree, he'd be turning in his grave....

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438865924' post='2838195']
This is why the band runs a ktty, but agree the singer might get a decent deal as the band has paid for what might be perceived as his end.
They say the band can use it...but funnily the bass doesn't get to go thru it.
[/quote]
In a band I was in many many years back, the singer owned the PA. It wasn't terribly big, but was man enough for vox, keys, kick drum, etc. We all used to pitch in with setting up, crashing it, etc. After a while the singer announced that he was going to be taking an extra cut from gig income because as he saw it he was effectively hiring his PA to the band. He dropped the idea after bitter complaints from the rest of us and threats to leave from at least two. A few weeks later he said that his wife had been asked if we would play at the leisure centre she worked at... and that consequently he would be taking a "finder's fee" from the income as it was his wife who had got us the gig.
Why yes, the band [i]did[/i] go tits up shortly after that, however did you guess?

The one "temperamental" singist I've played with showed the same symptoms. Late for rehearsal, hadn't learnt the songs, turn up 5 mins before the start and expect to just plug his mic into the desk, gone 30 secs after pay time. He turned out to have a few alcohol issues which explained a lot. Bye bye singist!

My old drummer used to take extra money for PA and lights. We ended up getting rid of him mainly because he was an egotistical tw@. These days git/vox does the PA, I do the lights and drummer sets up his drums - money split equally, peace reigns

about the only time I throw my toys out of the pram was when we were playing an 'away gig' and we agreed to have a tenner each (out of band funds) towards the petrol, then the drummer and guitarist shared a car (without telling me or the singer) and still wanted their tenner each for petrol, and couldn't see why I was pissed off

Edited by PaulWarning

I went for an audition with a band on Sunday evening, they have two guitarists - one rhythm and one lead.

The lead player did not bother to turn up, apparently out of 6 arranged rehearsals he has only turned up for 2.

The vocalist was saying what a fantastic guitar he was, I replied he could be the best player in the world but if he doesn't turn up you have no lead player.

I told the band I would not be joining if they continued with that unreliable tw*t.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1438875104' post='2838318']
it never ceases to amaze me how ridiculous people can be.
I have a quality PA. I expect to mic people up and get the best possible sound for the band. I don't expect extra money for it
[/quote]

No, but they couldn't complain if you did. I'm all for give and take but not a big imbalance.