Why become a member? ×

Singer doesn't show up to practice. (and gets to gigs 10 mins before the start)

police squad

I'm depping for my mates band and the singer, as stated, does what she likes.
Last night we had practice and she cried off at the last minute.

Good job it's not my band, cos I'd sack her. F*king slacker.

How do people think they can get away with being like that and i don't think that she's good enough to have that kind of attitude

Reminds me of the old joke about the drummer and the girl singer who fall off a cliff at the same time .
The drummer hits the ground first because he can't help speeding up whereas the girl singer has to stop everything halfway through when she gets lost .

I'm with the OP on this. Doubtless some may see the other side of the argument and bleat on about 'commitments' and 'family matters' and 'giving her some space'.

Bollocks to that. Unless a rellie's about to drop off the twig or the singer's just found out her house is burning down they should show up on time and give their all.

Mind you, lots of people do this, not just laydee singers. Possibly because these bastards want to 'be in a band' but they don't actually want to be in a band.

[i]No-one[/i] is good enough to have that attitude. Like you say, if it were down to me she'd be gone.
What [i]is[/i] it with singers? They seem to think they don't need to learn lyrics or arrangements, too.
Plus they never carry [i]any [/i]gear, not even their own frigging microphones!

/rant

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1438788970' post='2837350']
...these bastards want to 'be in a band' but they don't actually want to be in a band.
[/quote]

That is so true, Skank. That's what these people don't realise - being in a band isn't what you think being in a band is going to be like. They want to be in a band, but when they find out what being in a band is like, they don't really want to be in a band any more. Hence the crap attitude. They turn up occasionally (having done no work) just so they can tell their friends they are in a band.

For a lot of unintelligent and non-committal people, 'being in a band' is just a concept or a premise or a thought. The actual 'being in a band' bit of 'being in a band' is bloody hard work, and these stupid, workshy, feckless, unreliable, untalented frigging fecking pigs should just stop wasting everyone's time and do us all a favour by fecking off out of it and not coming back!

/rant

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438789199' post='2837357']
That is so true, Skank. That's what these people don't realise - being in a band isn't what you think being in a band is going to be like. They want to be in a band, but when they find out what being in a band is like, they don't really want to be in a band any more. Hence the crap attitude.

For a lot of people 'being in a band' is just a concept or a premise or a thought. The actual 'being in a band' bit of 'being in a band' is bloody hard work, and these stupid, workshy, feckless, unreliable, untalented frigging fecking pigs should just stop wasting everyone's time and do us all a favour by fecking off out of it!

/rant
[/quote]

because of this I was going to start a virtual pub band with some mates. We were going to have a long list of songs (that we weren't going to learn) and only book pubs that had closed. It's a smashing idea you know

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1438788341' post='2837345']
I'm depping for my mates band and the singer, as stated, does what she likes.
Last night we had practice and she cried off at the last minute.

Good job it's not my band, cos I'd sack her. F*king slacker.

How do people think they can get away with being like that and i don't think that she's good enough to have that kind of attitude
[/quote]

Like you say, lucky it's not your band and therefore not your problem. A band is a team and slackers just drag a team down. I'd be tempted to tell her "no worries love, you just turn up when you're good and ready" then at the end of the night giver her exactly half what everyone else gets paid..

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438789199' post='2837357']
That is so true, Skank. That's what these people don't realise - being in a band isn't what you think being in a band is going to be like. They want to be in a band, but when they find out what being in a band is like, they don't really want to be in a band any more. Hence the crap attitude. They turn up occasionally (having done no work) just so they can tell their friends they are in a band.

For a lot of unintelligent and non-committal people, 'being in a band' is just a concept or a premise or a thought. The actual 'being in a band' bit of 'being in a band' is bloody hard work, and these stupid, workshy, feckless, unreliable, untalented frigging fecking pigs should just stop wasting everyone's time and do us all a favour by fecking off out of it and not coming back!

/rant
[/quote]

Yes, I was in a virtual band a couple of years ago. They had the website and the Facebook page but never gigged. I left 2 years ago...........the other members probably even haven't noticed yet.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1438789441' post='2837360']
because of this I was going to start a virtual pub band with some mates.
[/quote]

To be fair, one of my bands has recently become a virtual band.

The bass player's gone AWOL because his wife threw him out and asked for a divorce. He's failed to turn up for a band practice several times and apparently spends most of his time crying in his car (where he sleeps). I've sent him a text telling him to man the f**k up or he's out.

Lightweight. <_<

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1438792196' post='2837419']
To be fair, one of my bands has recently become a virtual band. The bass player's gone AWOL because his wife threw him out and asked for a divorce. He's failed to turn up for a band practice several times and apparently spends most of his time crying in his car (where he sleeps). I've sent him a text telling him to man the f**k up or he's out. Lightweight. <_<
[/quote]

God, what a poof! Gives bass players a bad name. I had an 11-hour double operation for an umbilical hernia and a major gastric procedure and was back playing my Fender bass - standing up - within [i]four days[/i]. You can't miss a rehearsal just like that.

I smiled through the terrible pain and told no-one. But then, I'm a proper bloke. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438792733' post='2837432']
I had an 11-hour double operation for an umbilical hernia and a major gastric procedure and was back playing my Fender bass - standing up - within [i]four days[/i].
[/quote]

At the time I remember you posting about that and me thinking 'Man of steel!' Made me proud to be acquainted with you.

I wish you could have a chat with the milquetoast loser in my virtual band and put him straight. I'll PM you his email address. Send him something punchy, OK?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438792733' post='2837432']

God, what a poof! Gives bass players a bad name. I had an 11-hour double operation for an umbilical hernia and a major gastric procedure and was back playing my Fender bass - standing up - within [i]four days[/i]. You can't miss a rehearsal just like that.

I smiled through the terrible pain and told no-one. But then, I'm a proper bloke. :D
[/quote]
You Sir, are everything I aspire to be.

One of those 'in context' scenario's... I wouldn't mind carrying certain people if they were worth it, but
if you don't think she is good enough then I wouldn't put up with it.

Or... I'd pay them a wage commiserate with the time they put in...but nah...can't see it working at all.
I have tolerence for VERY talented people who might have certain 'needs' but not for an ar$e who really isn't
worth the gig in the first place let alone someone who thinks we are their support band.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438792733' post='2837432'] God, what a poof! Gives bass players a bad name. I had an 11-hour double operation for an umbilical hernia and a major gastric procedure and was back playing my Fender bass - standing up - within [i]four days[/i]. You can't miss a rehearsal just like that. I smiled through the terrible pain and told no-one. But then, I'm a proper bloke. :D [/quote]

Dedication is what its all about and i'm dedicated to being impressed by you.
Don't think i would have gone thru with that one.
You are a true Bass God.

Couldn't work with people not turning up or being late all the time either for rehearsals or gigs unless exceptional circimstances.

Prima Donna by sound of it
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438788971' post='2837351']
[i]No-one[/i] is good enough to have that attitude. Like you say, if it were down to me she'd be gone.
What [i]is[/i] it with singers? They seem to think they don't need to learn lyrics or arrangements, too.
Plus they never carry [i]any [/i]gear, not even their own frigging microphones!

/rant
[/quote]

Our Jen says she is a Princess and that's that. None of us disagrees with her, because as soon as she opens her mouth to sing, we are all rendered speechless.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1438799216' post='2837518']
Our Jen says she is a Princess and that's that. None of us disagrees with her, because as soon as she opens her mouth to sing, we are all rendered speechless.
[/quote]

I bet she turns up to rehearsals and knows the material! :)

I've played with singers (and brass players) who you really don't want to have at a gig any longer than they have to be.

In one band the guitarist used to really moan about the singer. I told him to just accept it because the alternative would be painful.

Anyway, he had a word with the singer who turned up at the same time as us for the next gig, left his bag and mic stand right in the middle of where we were trying to set up, moaned about having to be there so early and then spent the hour chatting to his mates and getting drunk at the bar. The gig wasn't too good :D

We went back to the old ways after that. :)

Edited by TimR

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1438799216' post='2837518']
[/quote]

Try putting a pea under her mattress, then you'll know for sure.