Why become a member? ×

Playlist help required

Jimryan

Morning all,

In a fortnights time, I'll be attending an old school friends wedding. Last night he called me and asked if I can put together a playlist for when he's having his photos done and for during afternoon cream teas, so that everyone isn't sat in silence. Now, I've got a good few ideas, but with things like this I thought I'd throw it to the floor and see if there's anything I miss. He has sent me a criteria and that is as follows...

Playlist spec

- 2 hours
- Church friendly (no easily identifiable swearing etc)
- love songs
- positive vibe (Friday I'm in love - some upbeat ska sort of stuff)
- Please can you include a couple of elbow tracks (bride's favourite)

That's what he's sent me, but needs to be love songs and and whilst I'd prefer recognisable ones, I'm also going to include a few obscure ones and a few instrumentals to help bulk it out.

I'm chuffed to bits he's asked me to do something like this and I'm really looking forward to compiling all the tracks and finding the perfect order. If any of you lot think of a few must haves, then fire away.

Cheers in advance guys,

James

I know there's the spotlight option, but where's the fun in that :-P

Here's a few off the top of my head...

John Lester - I Saw You
Joss Stone - L.O.V.E
Madness - It Must Be Love
The Cure - Friday I'm In Love
Alice Russell - Let There Be Loving
Paul Weller - You Do Something (To Me)
Sister Sledge - Thinking Of You
Clean Bandit - Rather Be
Bad Manners - Special Brew
The Emotions - Best Of My Love
John Butler Trio - Losing You
Simply Red - Stars
Kodaline - The One

Here's my champagne reception playlist used for similar purposes at my do - ie get the guests warmed up while everyone is faffing about doing photos etc.

https://open.spotify.com/user/toneknob/playlist/5Yi00D1lSaFv1HdZ4Z4oMG

And a motown/soul compilation I put on CD for the bride & FoB's ride to the ceremony

https://open.spotify.com/user/toneknob/playlist/6IxksNUVCzRUVVTLAYqgou

Feel free to pilfer where required. I've got the wedding disco playlist as well if you need that.

The other thing I did was have a playlist of every number 1 hit from our wedding day from across the years, then play them in random order and have the guests fill out a quiz sheet, winner gets extra cake and bragging rights. Use http://www.everyhit.com/dates/index.html to find number 1s for your date. (btw photos and wotnot always take longer than expected so err on the side of caution). Have a fantastic day!

There may be mixed generations at such an event; maybe some 'vintage' classics could add to the mood..?

It Had to be You - Harry Connick Jr.
Fly Me to the Moon - Tony Bennet
Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
That Old Black Magic - Sammy Davis Jr.
Moon River - Andy Williams
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters
Everybody Loves Somebody - Dean Martin
I won't dance - Fred Astaire

For a laugh there's always 'Love Stinks' by the J Geils band and D.I.V.O.R.C.E by Tammy Wynette.

OK, maybe not. How about:

Love Is All Around (Troggs / Wet Wet Wet)
Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong)
Many Rivers To Cross (Jimmy Cliff)
When you say nothing at all (Ronan Keating - but the Alison Krauss version's better)
I knew the Bride when she used to rock and roll (Dave Edmunds)
Stand by Me (Ben E King)
Somewhere over the rainbow
Kiss me (sixpence none the richer)
At Last (Etta James)
Wonderwall (Oasis)

and for some red-velvety wallpaper lounge cheese:

Can't help falling in love with you (Elvis)
Have I told you lately that I love you? (Van Morrison)
Something (The Beatles)
Just the way you are (Billy Joel)
Puppet on a string (Sandie Shaw)
Dancing Queen (Abba)
Let the music play (Barry White)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1438005180' post='2830729']
For a laugh there's always 'Love Stinks' by the J Geils band and D.I.V.O.R.C.E by Tammy Wynette.

OK, maybe not.
[/quote]

Thanks - in addition to the playlists mentioned in my post above, I also made an "anti-love song" playlist for when I got fed up of the lovey-dovey wedding stuff. I've added your two to it - it's here https://open.spotify.com/user/toneknob/playlist/7jEg3Myw6qvm21DTeiERNP

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1438017497' post='2830898']
This lovely, wonderful song.

(We Have All The Time In The World)

in A, I believe.
[/quote]

Famous for being the music used during the scene in On Her Majesty's Secret Service where James Bond's new bride expires in his arms having been plugged by Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Telly Savalas?) in an early cinematic depiction of a drive-by shooting.

[size=3]Lazenby struggles to contain emotion as bullet-riddled Rigg pegs out[/size]

Just the job, eh? :facepalm:
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Point of order Mr Delvar, I believe you will find that the actual song's appearance in the film was during the courtship of Mr Bond and his future albeit not-for-long wife.

EDIT: In 2005, a BBC survey showed it is the third-most-popular love song played at weddings. Possibly a bit of a cliche then :)

Slade's "Everyday" was begun by Jimmy Lea's wife, when he said at a party that "anyone can write a song", then him & Nod finished it off........ platform shoes and glitter on your face is optional.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pPL9PPy1MI[/media]

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1438019209' post='2830927']
Point of order Mr Delvar, I believe you will find that the actual song's appearance in the film was during the courtship of Mr Bond and his future albeit not-for-long wife.
[/quote]

Indeed so. The song is [i]first[/i] heard during the Bond–Tracy courtship montage, bridging Draco's birthday party in Portugal and Bond's burglary of the Gebrüder Gumbold law office in Bern, Switzerland.

But it reappears at the end, shortly after a motorcycle gendarme spies Mr Bond parked at the roadside with his (deceased) wife's face in his - er - lap and asks Bond if all is in order, [i]M'sieu[/i].

Bond (Lazenby) peers into the camera with the expression of a man suffering from severe gastric wind and solemnly intones that he and his corpse bride have 'all the time in the world'. The music swells and Old Satchmo reprises the song before it segues (under the credits) into Mr Monty Norman's James Bond Theme.

This truncated version is to found on the soundtrack album (track 11) but - being end-credit music - would have been the penultimate piece heard by the cinema-goer as they extinguished their Capstan Full Strength and stumbled through drifts of Westler's hot dog wrappers out to the street where they caught the bus home.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1438032647' post='2831131']
I've always found Closer by Nine Inch Nails to be a particularly touching & emotive love ballad.
[/quote]

When he rang me and told me the "church friendly" bit, that was the first thing that popped into my head.

Elbow also my favourite band!

One Day Like This is great for an occasion. Weather To Fly has a lovely calming cadence and nice groove. Open Arms has a great mood to it and a smashing chorus.

Won't go wrong with any of those. Elbow fans would probably prefer some of their more esoteric numbers but wouldn't go down well at an event!