Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

My 220 is almost 30 years old and still going strong, never once let me down. I bought the non-working 120 a couple of years ago with a 2x15 cab for a massive 52 quid. I hope to get it fixed soon to use as a back-up. I'll only stop using them when either it, or my back, gives up the ghost!

Edited by 4-string-thing

Wow, a lot of strong opinion on this one. No, I didn't read the whole bloated thing, just the last couple of pages.

It's funny, really - I like basses and bass gear in general. I make most of my living using the stuff. All I can really think of is that I can't stand bigoted, over-opinionated people. Remember, if you're going to talk the talk, make sure you can walk the walk... :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='655554' date='Nov 15 2009, 11:08 PM']Wow, a lot of strong opinion on this one. No, I didn't read the whole bloated thing, just the last couple of pages.

It's funny, really - I like basses and bass gear in general. I make most of my living using the stuff. All I can really think of is that I can't stand bigoted, over-opinionated people. Remember, if you're going to talk the talk, make sure you can walk the walk... :)[/quote]

I wouldn't say my post is bigoted, I just like what I like and thats it. I certainly don't consider myself over-opinionated/ Everybody has there likes and dislikes.

Not everyone is going to have the same opinions

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='655515' date='Nov 15 2009, 10:36 PM']It's official.....I own the best amp in the world, 34 pages and not one person has slagged of Acoustic amps! Thats the answer folks, sell all your expensive modern gear and scour ebay for cheap powerful 70's Acoustics![/quote]

heres someone else who agrees

3 bass related things that suck to me are........

1) Planet waves cables....unbreakable my arse, i'm on my second in 2 years-cha,...and who keeps the packaging to send them back-duh!

2) 5 string Status Groove bass...really sucked imo and sold the very next day-maybe just a bad one. :)

3) Recording bass on Cubase on a PC...Macs and Logic are far superior - :lol: ....i'm dead!

3.5) Treble on bass - phat dub tones for me, helps with my rhythm deficiencies :rolleyes:

oh and generally love to hate guitarists (not all though...most of them)...far too loud and moan at everything!

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='tauzero' post='274356' date='Sep 1 2008, 10:56 AM']Fenders (aims kick at g**tarist's Fender amp which needs a new hideously overpriced and needlessly complex input jack)

Ampegs (aims kick at rehearsal room SVT350H which keeps crapping out)

SWRs (sound horrible and thin when used to replace Ampeg SVT which keeps crapping out)

Warwicks with thick necks

Ludicrously expensive straps

Rickenbacker basses

Gibson basses

Planet Waves cables

Hofner violin basses[/quote]
;o

fender amps are great, dunno about the modern ones but the older ones are good for cranking. nowt wrong with rickenbackers or grabbers either.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='656283' date='Nov 16 2009, 07:27 PM']Indeed, according to this thread I have bought all the wrong stuff but the right stuff hasn't been made yet.[/quote]

You're right, you know what they say "you can't please all of the people, all of the time"

Lets face it, it would be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same things.

I suppose I'll be bucking some trends here, but honestly in my opinion anything other than a Fender Jazz or P-Bass is a waste of time.

I also don't get having more than four strings. The lower B just gives you five extra notes that most people never have a need for at the expense of a reasonable-sized neck, and the higher strings on those gigantic six or sevens just sound piddly and weak. Again, just my opinion, but whenever I see a bass player with more than four strings on his bass I expect either some seriously boring overindulgent widdling, or just a shoddy performance by someone who hopes that people will assume he's really good because he has extra strings.

I really, really dislike the look of these overdesigned luthier basses that are made of sixteen different types of contrasting wood, all of which would be better suited to veneering a French dresser, and they all have fourteen strings and fanned frets and weird body shapes and pickups at funny angles and generally look a bit like someone nailed a ladder to a goldfish. And you never actually see anyone playing them live, presumably because there aren't many bands out there where the guitarists have twelve-neck guitars and the drummers have a 400-piece kit.

After having spent some serious time in studios recently, I don't actually see the need for bass amp heads. Speakers, sure. But every time we tracked bass, we'd go through the gear we had to find a match, and every time without fail we passed over Ampeg, Markbass, Peavey and Mesa bass heads in favour of an old Marshall guitar head. And you tend to pay a little bit more for bass amps ayway, and they're usually overdesigned to the point where if something goes wrong it's out of commission for ten weeks.

I don't get bass effects, either. Put it this way: A bass player with a load of effects on the floor is either doing something radically new and different, or he's just forgotten what the bass is for in music. Usually it's the latter.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='656578' date='Nov 16 2009, 11:55 PM']I suppose I'll be bucking some trends here, but honestly in my opinion anything other than a Fender Jazz or P-Bass is a waste of time.

I also don't get having more than four strings. The lower B just gives you five extra notes that most people never have a need for at the expense of a reasonable-sized neck, and the higher strings on those gigantic six or sevens just sound piddly and weak. Again, just my opinion, but whenever I see a bass player with more than four strings on his bass I expect either some seriously boring overindulgent widdling, or just a shoddy performance by someone who hopes that people will assume he's really good because he has extra strings.

I really, really dislike the look of these overdesigned luthier basses that are made of sixteen different types of contrasting wood, all of which would be better suited to veneering a French dresser, and they all have fourteen strings and fanned frets and weird body shapes and pickups at funny angles and generally look a bit like someone nailed a ladder to a goldfish. And you never actually see anyone playing them live, presumably because there aren't many bands out there where the guitarists have twelve-neck guitars and the drummers have a 400-piece kit.

After having spent some serious time in studios recently, I don't actually see the need for bass amp heads. Speakers, sure. But every time we tracked bass, we'd go through the gear we had to find a match, and every time without fail we passed over Ampeg, Markbass, Peavey and Mesa bass heads in favour of an old Marshall guitar head. And you tend to pay a little bit more for bass amps ayway, and they're usually overdesigned to the point where if something goes wrong it's out of commission for ten weeks.

I don't get bass effects, either. Put it this way: A bass player with a load of effects on the floor is either doing something radically new and different, or he's just forgotten what the bass is for in music. Usually it's the latter.[/quote]

He's got a point.