Why become a member? ×

Online Bass Purchase – Am I over reacting?

bagsieblue

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1437386744' post='2825438']
that black mark?

a 4-5mm black mark on the underside of the neck wouldn't bother me in the slightest. If the rest of the bass is fine I'd go with "mint".
Unless the binding is somehow affected...
[/quote]

+1

Doesn't look like a shipping issue as there is no other damage.

Wouldn't bother me at all.

It's tiny isn't it but I can see how it's annoying... I doubt the seller even noticed it.

Although if this was a Harley Benton, Thomann would be selling it as "unplayable for decoration only" :blink:

If the rest of the bass is mint I could live with that mark :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1437386975' post='2825442']
thanks Bartelby, I should have stated in original post the line can be felt under the hand.
There is some depth to it - rather than just a line.
[/quote]

Is the binding stable?

Thanks guys - leaving aside what I've pictured above - yes happy with everything else.
Just the annoyance that it can be felt under the hand when playing.
There is some depth to it, so is somewhat of a 'gouge' - admittedly a poor choice of word but just to highlight that there is a gap/split that can be felt as well as seen.

Would irritate the f*** out of me but I wouldn't do anything about it as the stress of that would be worse. Bit if wood filler would deal with it. I don't really aspire to perfection as I know I cannot maintain it but fresh out of the box? I would get into 'why me' mode and f and jeff an bit before getting on with it.

If that's the only blemish I'd accept that as a 'mint' or 'as new' condition - it's most definitely 'as new' because I'd say that's how the bass arrived when bought by the previous owner... it's a minor manufacturing defect/flaw/blemish that's been there from new. If it's really bugging you then you might drop some clear lacquer into the nick to fill it.

I think if this were new, the question of accepting is dependent upon the price of the bass. But this isn't something you are in a position to argue.

This is a matter of quality control. It isn't damaged. So, yes it's in mint condition. Should the seller have declared it? That's a matter of opinion.

As for fixing it: You say you can feel it. Does it stick out or is it a slot?
If it's a slot I'd get a sharp, fine blade and scratch out the black, sand it and fill it with hard wax of a light colour.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1437387803' post='2825459']
Doubt the seller noticed in all honesty
[/quote]

This. There has been quite a few times where I've had to amend adverts because I've noticed tiny little marks. I can honestly say it wouldn't bother me and quite frankly I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

If you're happy with the rest of the bass I'd just accept it. Making the seller aware it wasn't as described would do no hard however...for any future sales the guy/gal makes.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1437389053' post='2825481']
That probably is "new" condition, as that looks like a manufacturing blemish rather than something that happened to the bass after it left the factory.
[/quote]
Yep

Edited by Geek99

The way I see it, it's small, it's not in a place where your hand would normally be when playing, it's on the underside so you won't see it when you're playing and neither will anyone else notice. Not worth the ballache to argue the toss with someone who doesn't deem it as important as you, however "right" you may be on a logical level. I'd probably be mildly irritated, resolve to do something about it then never get round to it as if the rest of the bass is sound then I'd be too busy playing/enjoying it to worry about something as minor as that little flaw.

So, I'm in the "let it go" camp.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1437389491' post='2825489']
The way I see it, it's small, it's not in a place where your hand would normally be when playing, it's on the underside so you won't see it when you're playing and neither will anyone else notice. Not worth the ballache to argue the toss with someone who doesn't deem it as important as you, however "right" you may be on a logical level. I'd probably be mildly irritated, resolve to do something about it then never get round to it as if the rest of the bass is sound then I'd be too busy playing/enjoying it to worry about something as minor as that little flaw.

So, I'm in the "let it go" camp.
[/quote]
Yes don't let it hold you back anymore ...

I would go with majority on here and say mfr issue. Hardly noticeable.
As suggested just fill it with some clear lacquer to smooth it off and it should be fine.
If the bass is otherwise in perfect condition i would say its mint as not damage by previous owner.

What bass is it. Photo of the full bass would be nice. I'm curious.

Dave

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1437389293' post='2825485']
You obviously have a different playing technique to me as there is no way I would able to feel it when playing where that black mark is positioned.

[/quote]

+1

Cant see how I'd ever get my hand in that position.

To be honest, if I was in a shop buying a new bass and noticed it I'd probably negotiate a discount. But as a second hander its a pretty minor imperfection.

That said, if this was a business seller you've every right to return.

As said before, its a manufacturing imperfection which doesn't look like its going to be an issue. Wood is a very natural material and imperfections are to some extent to be accepted. Like others have said, if it was a high end £1000 + bit of kit maybe it shouldn't be acceptable that it left the factory that way but if a i sold a bass with a tiny mark like that and then the buyer wanted a refund I would agree but feel a little aggreived. That however is just me and these things are subjective. If it really worries you then maybe offer to return at your cost if the seller gives you your money back.

If it was my bass, and the mark bothered me enough to start a thread about it (no disrespect to the OP intended), then off it would go to the luthier. A good luthier can probably make that mark just disappear. It'll completely put it out of your mind when you play it.

<><Peace

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1437408075' post='2825739']
If it was my bass, and the mark bothered me enough to start a thread about it (no disrespect to the OP intended), then off it would go to the luthier. A good luthier can probably make that mark just disappear. It'll completely put it out of your mind when you play it.

<><Peace
[/quote]

I concur, Dr. Do6