Why become a member? ×

If you could have been in one band in the last 15 years.....

merello

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1436823093' post='2821217']
Savages.
[/quote]

Certainly. All those young girls... hurr hurr hurr. Good band, too. ;)

Seriously though I don't think I could stand to be in any of the bands mentioned so far!
Obviously I'm too picky, which is probably why my bands always go tits-up! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437263173' post='2824761']
Certainly. All those young girls... hurr hurr hurr. Good band, too. ;)

Seriously though I don't think I could stand to be in any of the bands mentioned so far!
Obviously I'm too picky, which is probably why my bands always go tits-up! :lol:
[/quote]

Well, given that I heard of them from you... :rolleyes:

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1436823093' post='2821217']
Savages.
[/quote]

I staggerd into a tent on Saturday and caught these guys and I have to say they were almost brilliant...

Lattetude was (despite Mrs C's insistance that it is no longer a festival for posh people who don't like festivals) a smorgasboard of wimpy folk, man buns and girls in not alot of clothing...

However Savages were so close to being a great live band. The singer was awesome, loads of energy and she really knew how to engage with the crowd, intense without being pretentious.

The only trouble was it just didn't quite kick in. They would have a really well crafted breakdown section, stripping back to just bass, then building and building, growing in intensity, your ears were waiting for it to go, anticipating the rush of endorphins you get from a great impact, it got there to that very moment, everyone poised to thrash around like a loon and then... well it kinda died... they didn't really seem to have that extra gear they promised. This happened about four times in the set which was a shame as they were infinitely better than everyone else who played.

Even Portishead weren't that great sadly... they are a quality band but it was just the wrong environment. Portishead are more of a "Stoned off your tits in a Dalston squat" kinda band and the festival thing didn't really suit them...

Edited by CamdenRob

It'd be the band I'm in now, but with all of us having a lot more spare time to devote to it, for gigs, recording and writing.

I spent ten years thinking about this band as a concept and on the look out for people to make this kind of music with me, now its happening and we are getting some really great gigs, allbeit small venues, but incredibly well received nonethelessm, why would I prefer to be in someone elses band which isnt the one I'm as passionate about??

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1437377942' post='2825311']
why would I prefer to be in someone else's band which isn't the one I'm as passionate about?
[/quote]

Well that's it, isn't it? I suppose from the purely financial point of view you could say you'd like to be in band 'X' because they're your favourite and they've made a shedful of cash (which would be nice, of course) and they're touring and playing large, well-attended venues and they have a legion of fans and they're living the dream, etc etc - but forgetting all that for a moment, I can't think of one single band I'd genuinely want to be in.

It's an exercise in fantasy, really. Nothing wrong with that, but most bands who are in any way successful usually have a harrowing back story involving, at the very least, some kind of conflict or sacrifice or tragedy, or all three. It's not enough to be talented, one has to be driven too - most people are not and actively avoid difficult situations. Doing what you want (or what you think you want) is hard. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1437393039' post='2825533']
Having just been sent this on FB, can i join the NPG please?
[url="http://www.wat.tv/video/prince-dmsr-detroit-2004-59z63_2hztv_.html"]http://www.wat.tv/vi...z63_2hztv_.html[/url]
[/quote]

Yes, you can - if I can be your bass tech.