Why become a member? ×

Bollock dropped advice needed on amp/cab mismatch

karlfer

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1436002290' post='2814246']
So are these solid state watts or valve watts then?

;)
[/quote]

Well the pumas are rated at rms continuous so as solid state amps go they are "proper" watts B)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1436002290' post='2814246']
So are these solid state watts or valve watts then?
[/quote]Really? James would do a face palm if only he could.

A watt is a watt, no matter what the source. The difference between SS and valve is that valve has a natural compression, easing the transition into clipping, making them subjectively able to apparently go louder at the same power level before things sound nasty. Using the right compression alogorithm with SS can duplicate the effect. TC does just that, and in the process they attempted to re-define the watt. That probably sent James into doing cartwheels in his grave. :huh:

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1436105395' post='2814967']
Could be, but far too many think that there's a difference. Were that not the case the terms 'SS watts' and 'valve watts' wouldn't exist. Not would 'TC watts'. :unsure:
[/quote]

... nor Charlie Watts. :mellow:

My rig is a Tecamp Puma 900 and brace of Bergantino AE112s. I've used it without problems for quite a few gigs, and one day I may play a venue big enough to need the master volume turned past 10 o'clock. Just thought that some advice based on actual experience might be helpful, though I realise that that doesn't conform to BC standards.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1436178946' post='2815554']
My rig is a Tecamp Puma 900 and brace of Bergantino AE112s. I've used it without problems for quite a few gigs, and one day I may play a venue big enough to need the master volume turned past 10 o'clock. Just thought that some advice based on actual experience might be helpful, though I realise that that doesn't conform to BC standards.
[/quote]

:mellow: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1436178946' post='2815554']
[/quote]

I have a few stupidly loud gigs so I just added a third AE112. I already had a 2 ohm amp so I knew it would easily run at 2.6 ohms. This is for an SRV type guitar trio. Do you play that loud? Most people I know don't. These days I'm using a CN212 and an AE112, while I'm looking for a CN112 to go with it.

2 AE112 cabs covered all my other gigs for about 5 years, so the Puma and Berg cabs will be fine.

I'm a little nervous about adding my thoughts to this thread ( for fear of confirming my ignorance ) but the cab rating is a thermal rating only. As the AEs are relatively efficient at converting the Puma's output into sound I would be amazed if you ever come close to feeding them with anywhere near 300 watts continuous. You could just as easily damage those cabs with a 500w head cranked too high and a compressionless slap fest!

Edited by Sparky Mark

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1436279202' post='2816670']
I'm a little nervous about adding my thoughts to this thread ( for fear of confirming my ignorance ) but the cab rating is a thermal rating only. As the AEs are relatively efficient at converting the Puma's output into sound I would be amazed if you ever come close to feeding them with anywhere near 300 watts continuous. You could just as easily damage those cabs with a 500w head cranked too high and a compressionless slap fest!
[/quote]

Trust me Mark, a slap fest WON'T be happening :lol:

Warranty you say eh? B) :P

Just plugged this little lot in, in the back bedroom.
Quite scary watching cones move back and forth half an inch.
This rig just sounds amazing to be honest. The only issue I had with the TTE was having to do a bit of EQ ing.
Plugged this in flat, used both gigging basses, both sound wonderful.
I liked the 500, I'm gonna like the 900 :D

Right, I'm off to compose something to go with the lyrics little drummer boy has sent me. I've got until tomorrow night's rehearsal. Oh, except I'm working until 6 tomorrow night.
Drummers eh, oh for a vivisectionist.