Why become a member? ×

The House Rig

Norris

I played a small charity festival up in Stornoway at the weekend, and was told in advance backline would be provided. I bought my wee Tc head with me anyway - it takes up negligible space.

I didn't have to bother - I was really
impressed with the setup. GK 600 something head, matching 4x10 and 1x15 cabs, but best of all an identical head sat on top as a spare!

Slightly bigger festival this weekend with a similar setup. Hopefully as well organised!

Edited by geoham

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1434825772' post='2803152']
... It does seem like we get short changed as a breed.
[/quote]

Interesting POV. In my experience as a bassist, I'm always allowed to use whatever I want. However, when I play drums, I'm forced to share at the least shells, and sometimes they make me use other people's stands. I've played a few gigs where I have to share a kit with a guy who won't let me adjust anything. I have to put my cymbals on his stands but I can hardly play as we set our stuff up so differently.

I don't get it. It takes me 10 minutes to set up my kit. Most guitarists need 10 minutes to get their guitar out of the case.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1434960792' post='2804078']...I'm forced to share at the least shells...
[/quote]

I have a simple answer to this problem. I bring my top-end kit, my top-end cymbals, and I play lefty on [i]my [/i]kit, non-negotiable. I'll let others use my kit (yes, I can help 'em turn it 'righty'; it only takes a couple of minutes...), but I'll be playing on my kit. Non-negotiable, end of story. No, I'm not 6'4", either. No house kit will be better than mine (vintage '70s Camco; look 'em up...), anyway. No, you can't cut a hole in my bass drum resonant head, either. Deal with it. :mellow:

You've clearly had more success than me if you can throw your weight about so much! Everyone is so convinced that it saves so much time I have absolutely no choice

I guess if they're micing the whole kit it might save 5 minutes to share shells

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1434964873' post='2804132']
You've clearly had more success than me if you can throw your weight about so much!...
[/quote]

:lol: Yes, indeed, I could do worse than lose a few (or even several..!) kilos..! It's more a question of being persuasive than authoritarian, though, and I have the 'luxury' of being able to say 'No' if I choose. All are not so privileged, I know. Commiserations.

With a micro amp and two 1x12s, my gear is small enough to stick in the Ka and take along. If the provided house amp isn't much cop, I'll use mine. Then again, I can count on the fingers (possibly the thumb) of one hand how many times I've played gigs at which there's been a house bass rig.

IME playing down the bill on main stages at blues festivals - you don't get a choice, you are obliged to use the house bass rig and drum kit! Hopefully (usually) the rig provided will be half decent and you can always have a preamp of some sort on your board (I used to have one but don't bother anymore) but I'm afraid that compromise is the name of the game. I would prefer to use my rig if possible but you often don't get the option.

Unfortunately if you pull the attitude the Dad has above you will lose the gig! Simple as...

Edited by peteb

Always take my own amp. Busses pass through our village twice a week so that's not an option and with just 1 BFM 1 x 12 and a genz stm900 i can usually toast far bigger rigs and carry the whole lot including a bass in a 1er from the car.

General rule of thumb is...IMO.. if you can't tell me EXACTLY what is on stage, then you don't know enough to get anywhere near dictating what I'll use,
And if people don't know the spec, then either speak to someone who does or file under 'jokers' and decide whether it is worth doing the gig.

I can certainly understand min spec riders and it got absoluetly nothing to do with be 'precious, IME

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1434989893' post='2804475']...
Unfortunately if you pull the attitude the Dad has above you will lose the gig! Simple as...
[/quote]

Yes, I understand the conundrum, but it's not really a question of 'attitude'. My drums are, to me, as your bass is to you. If the house bass was a Hofner 500/1, would you be happy doing the gig playing that (no disrespect to 500/1 owners, of course...)..? If you were handed a 'lefty', how would the gig go..? I've got used to the feel of my hi-hat pedal over the decades, my cymbals are placed exactly where I know they'll be. There's not much time to 'think' where the splash is, mid-song. It's either in it's place or it's not. I'm not saying that I could do nothing with a house kit, but I could certainly not do our set as it stands, correctly, so wouldn't want to perform at all. Retired, now, and playing out rarely just for fun with my band of buddies; we all have the same outlook; if it's going to be any kind of hassle, we'll play at home and enjoy it more. I recognise the problem, and, as stated, commiserate, but yes, we'd much rather lose the gig than not be in the condition we're happy with. Luxury, I'll admit, that others may not have.

I've had no end of problems with house provided bass gear either it's trashed and is distorting, I don't like the sound or it's Ashdown or all three. These days if we know in advance and we are travelling light I take my own bass head as i know what how to get my sound and it's pretty simple to use. Sometimes I just bring my F1-x pre-amp and go direct into the power amp of the bass head or even use it's DI and get a monitor feed. But with a reggae band that reduces the bottom end on stage and the band want to feel the bass too.

My preference would always be to use my own rig but unfortunately that is not always easily practical so sometimes you just have to make do with the situation you have, forget about it and just get on with the gig.

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1434961426' post='2804090'] No house kit will be better than mine (vintage '70s Camco; look 'em up
[/quote]
+1,000 to Camco - great sounding drums imo!

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1434877694' post='2803441']
Not again, no.
[/quote]
Do you mean you'll never use a house rig again, or 'Oh no, not this tired old topic'?

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1435000746' post='2804641']
+1,000 to Camco - great sounding drums imo!...
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1435000746' post='2804641']...
Do you mean you'll never use a house rig again, or 'Oh no, not this tired old topic'?
[/quote]

I think it was a tongue in cheek reply to the last line of the preceding post...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"... [/font][/color][color=#800080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You wouldn't go for a parachute jump with a bedsheet attached to bungees hooked onto your belt would you..?[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :lol:[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

Edited by Dad3353

With drums, it's not just time to mic, it's bulk. If you have 3 bands on and 3 kits to fit on stage and then also 3x however many channels you're using on the kit, it takes an age and most small venues don't have the space.
Probably not fair on drummers, but them's the breaks...

well I'm flying at a different angle to the rest of you. I dont really care what amp I use. I've not played a gig in years where there bass amp is for too much more than monitoring. My amp sim is on my board, so I send the exact same signal anywhere I play. The amp gets the EQ flattened and all funny options turned off, and I'l have it just loud enough to hear it. If its a decent amp then it might go up a bit louder. In fact thats how I treat my own amp when I do use it!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1434996601' post='2804563']

Yes, I understand the conundrum, but it's not really a question of 'attitude'. My drums are, to me, as your bass is to you. If the house bass was a Hofner 500/1, would you be happy doing the gig playing that (no disrespect to 500/1 owners, of course...)..? If you were handed a 'lefty', how would the gig go..? I've got used to the feel of my hi-hat pedal over the decades, my cymbals are placed exactly where I know they'll be. There's not much time to 'think' where the splash is, mid-song. It's either in it's place or it's not. I'm not saying that I could do nothing with a house kit, but I could certainly not do our set as it stands, correctly, so wouldn't want to perform at all. Retired, now, and playing out rarely just for fun with my band of buddies; we all have the same outlook; if it's going to be any kind of hassle, we'll play at home and enjoy it more. I recognise the problem, and, as stated, commiserate, but yes, we'd much rather lose the gig than not be in the condition we're happy with. Luxury, I'll admit, that others may not have.
[/quote]
I’m really not having a go at you for wanting to use your optimum set up at gigs where you have that level of control, but others may have to consider that if they want to play the bigger gigs available then they may have to compromise. It is one thing to insist on your own gear at your own shows in pubs, clubs, etc or even on small scale multi band gigs in clubs; but when you are playing halfway down the bill on many of the bigger festivals around (that are otherwise great to play) you don’t always have that luxury.

Generally you will get a half decent amp and probably a 4x10 (with a DI before the amp), which to be fair is usually ok. The drummer will use a house kit and bring his own snare, cymbals, pedals and drum stool, etc. As ever, the guitarist will usually be given the option to use their own amp! Of course, the headliners get the choice to use their own gear but funnily enough they often opt to use the house kit / bass rig, especially if they are not on tour and don’t have to bring their full backline when they have had to travel across the country for just one big gig…

I play a regular venue called 'The Jazz Bar' in Edinburgh. Their house rig is the weirdest I've ever seen. It's an Ashdown Little Giant, with some kind of Peavey head acting as a pre amp, to boost the signal. The little giant then goes into an old Peavey 2x10 and an even older Fender 1x15 combo. Even weirder, for such a mishmash of ancient gear....it actually sounds OK.

I always take my Shuttle 9.2 and drive pedal with me, even if I'm told back line is provided. So unless the cab is a complete basket case then I can usually get a decent sound. I do think sometimes that some players get all stressed about using house rigs without any real justification. I did a gig last year and the organiser (who I knew) was providing back line, bassist from one of the first bands on says to me "hope you've brought your own rig dude, it's a f***ing crashdown", now this lads own 'rig' was an old Laney combo. when I looked on stage there was an ABM500 sat on a Mesa Powerhouse cab, the 1x15 +4x10 single cab. I used it with a drive pedal and it sounded huge.