Why become a member? ×

Roger Water's Lyrics

spectoremg

Having a listen to Wish You Were Here (album). Waters once described his lyrics on Dark Side as typically 'upper fifth form'. I disagree and think that on both these albums the lyrics are superb; poignant and moving. I particularly like 'the papers hold their folded faces to the floor and every day the paper boy brings more'.

Edited by spectoremg

[color=#000000][font=DroidSansRegular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]And did they get you to trade [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=DroidSansRegular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Your heroes for ghosts? [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=DroidSansRegular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Hot ashes for trees? [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=DroidSansRegular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Hot air for a cool breeze? [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=DroidSansRegular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Cold comfort for change? [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=DroidSansRegular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]And did you exchange [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=DroidSansRegular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]A walk on part in the war [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=DroidSansRegular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]For a lead role in a cage?[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1434130950' post='2797059']
I remember that quote but thought he was referring to Echoes.

I've always enjoyed his lyrics, although he can get a tad morose at times, The Final Cut for example.
[/quote]You've jogged my memory - he was referring to Echoes.
And the Wish You Were Here track lyrics are beautiful. How did a posh kid from Cambridge come up with those?

This is REALLY weird as I was listening to Wish You Were Here at work today and remarked to a colleague what an amazing lyrics "two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year" is. Just logged on Basschat and saw this. Synchronicity.

I know that personal taste in music/songs is completely subjective; 'one man's meat, is another man's poison' etc, etc...

But I've always been a huge fan of Pink Floyd and especially Roger Water's lyrics, and have been since first hearing Dark Side Of The Moon when I was in my teens back in the early 70s...

Lyrics like this from Time for example:

[i]"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say"[/i]

Looking back, the amazing thing for me is how he could write such insightful and thought-provoking lyrics as a young man in his twenties, which somehow made sense to me and fascinated me as a thirteen year old, yet now I'm in my fifties, they resonate with me on a much deeper level and have even more impact?.

Bog Geldof once said that Dark Side Of The Moon is '..a work of towering genius.' and I can only agree with him.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1434218407' post='2797762']

Looking back, the amazing thing for me is how he could write such insightful and thought-provoking lyrics as a young man in his twenties, which somehow made sense to me and fascinated me as a thirteen year old, yet now I'm in my fifties, they resonate with me on a much deeper level and have even more impact?.
[/quote]I think, although he probably didn't realise it at the time, he examined themes that are as relevant today if not more so than they were then; greed, mental health etc. I think he said as much himself in the Dark Side documentary.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1434229273' post='2797867']
I think, although he probably didn't realise it at the time, he examined themes that are as relevant today if not more so than they were then; greed, mental health etc. I think he said as much himself in the Dark Side documentary.
[/quote]

Very true.. I think I saw that documentary too. It was pretty good.

Haven't Pink Floyd always maintained (that during the 70's at least) that they never took drugs at all? And in fact it is a common misconception about 'Dark Side' that it written under the influence?

Edited by 40hz

Quality lyrics from Waters. Something David Gilmour with Poly Sampson never achieved after he left, but apparently they were not too bothered.

I thought the quote was 'upper sixth form'. Never heard of upper fifth.

Edited by mep

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1434269195' post='2798093']
Quality lyrics from Waters. Something David Gilmour with Poly Sampson never achieved after he left, but apparently they were not too bothered.

I thought the quote was 'upper sixth form'. Never heard of upper fifth.
[/quote]The less said about the Mr & Mrs Gilmour collaboration the better.

I think Water's lyrics are fantastic, both with Pink Floyd and his solo work. They're noted as being dark and thought provoking, but there is also humour which many people seem to over look. The same with Morrissey too I suppose.