Why become a member? ×

5 Strings - worth it?

Delius

Bass-wise I've been pretty much just playing fretless for the last 15 years, and indeed sold my fretted instruments about 5 years ago since I never used them, but have recently decided to get a fretted bass again, just to give me a couple more options and open up some different techniques.

First instinct was just to get the fretted version of my G&L M2000, or maybe their MJ4, although I'm open other manufacturers (e.g. Sadowsky, Lull, Roscoe).

Looking through the classified ads though, I see a lot of nice 5-strings out there. So that gets me wondering about maybe getting one - would be a bit more "different" from what I already have than just plonking some frets on it. The question though is, - why?

I'm not bothered about extra notes (I tune D-A-D-G, so already have an extra tone down there) but maybe I'm missing something else about interesting/useful positions etc.? I guess I'm seeing the 5th string as a bit of a gimmick but that's from a position of ignorance so I'd be interested to hear people's reasons for getting - and sticking with - a 5-string.

Any thoughts?

The main reason to get a 5 string is so that you have more notes available without shifting position, not for the extra five notes. For example if you're playing the D on the 10th fret of the E string then you have easy access to two different fifths: a higher one at the 12th fret on the A string or a lower one at the 10th fret on the B string. Having both these notes available in a single position means you have a lot more possibilities.

Personally, I don't need that extra flexibility so I stick with four strings. Other people feel differently. There's no right or wrong, really. Lots of people get very heated about this but its just down to personal preference and need.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1433941343' post='2795278']
The main reason to get a 5 string is so that you have more notes available without shifting position, not for the extra five notes. For example if you're playing the D on the 10th fret of the E string then you have easy access to two different fifths: a higher one at the 12th fret on the A string or a lower one at the 10th fret on the B string. Having both these notes available in a single position means you have a lot more possibilities.

Personally, I don't need that extra flexibility so I stick with four strings. Other people feel differently. There's no right or wrong, really. Lots of people get very heated about this but its just down to personal preference and need.
[/quote]

Just about sums it up really.

I like fretting my runs/scales in the same hand shape, so it's good for keys such as Eb where you can do a standard scale shape from the fourth fret on the B string without having to detune or play open strings and different hand shapes, which opften confuses me, especially if I'm trying to jam by ear or sight read. I know to some that will probably sound lazy, but it works for me!

I also like the low notes for effect now and then. 5's all the way now for me - I even chose a 5 string EUB.

My 2c is the 5 string BEADG setup comes into it's own with alternate keys and tunings - although it's often less convenient in playing, not having to drop tune for one song - stuff like that is an excellent ability to have. Better than having to play the notes one octave up when they would sound much . . . well "bassier" lower down!

Like I said, my 2c. or 2p - although 2p is worth a fair bit more than 2c (US cents or euro).

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1433942426' post='2795303']
My 2c is the 5 string BEADG setup comes into it's own with alternate keys and tunings - although it's often less convenient in playing, not having to drop tune for one song - stuff like that is an excellent ability to have. Better than having to play the notes one octave up when they would sound much . . . well "bassier" lower down!

Like I said, my 2c. or 2p - although 2p is worth a fair bit more than 2c (US cents or euro).
[/quote]

Everyone else has covered the main points and the comments above pretty much cover my reasons for a 5 String. I play in a Soul band and our singer has changed keys of some stuff (Stevie Wonder songs in particular) and the B string is incredibly handy. It is also very handy for playing across the neck rather than having to go down to the nut on the bass and I get a fretted low E which I love, as I never really like the sound of open strings.

I love them and have just got used to having one, however I did completely abandon my 4 string to make sure I got used to playing a 5. I know of a few cases where people hang on to a 4 string in the beginning and keep moving back and forth and never adjust to a 5. Im not saying get rid of your 4 string but perhaps put it under the bed if you do get a 5 string and force yourself to do gigs and play the 5 string until your happy with it.

Edited by NJE

Yeah for me it's all about song choice and flexibility. Most songs that I play require that extra string, and I now prefer the tighter string spacing that 5 string basses usually have. I personally couldn't really play another 4 string ever again.

Just occasionally I’ll see a 5-string on sale and think “Hmm, looks nice” but I hold back. I learned on 4-string about 30 years ago and remained 100% faithful to it, and I think there’s some fear that adding another string is going to make me re-learn everything.
If you moved from 4 to 5 how difficult was it, and how long did it take, to rework your technique and feel absolutely comfortable?

I got a 5 in 1999 when I was 15, and played it for about 3 years.

Then I came over all "it has to be a 4 string, anything else is showing off".

And in 2014 I joined a function band and have used a 5 since.

There's not a lot of choice when you've not got a keys player and it's mainly modern pop stuff.

I've been playing 5s almost exclusively for well over 20 years. I still have 4s and they get used occasionally, but it's pretty much all 5. Bizarrely, I found that the more I got used to playing a 5, the easier it became to switch between a 5 and a 4 or vice versa -- the more I got accustomed to that extra string being there, the less I noticed it when it wasn't. If you see what I mean. :huh:

A 5 string bass is not a gimmick. You have extra notes and an extra string. They are totally different options. The extra notes allow you to play root and passing notes lower than E and the B string lets you play across the neck rather than up and down it. Also you don't have to manage special tunings or take multiple basses to a gig.

A 5 string bass is just a very versatile instrument that gets more jobs done with less fuss.

A 4 string bass is a good option, and I'd suggest that if anyone can't see a use for a 5er then they probably don't need to change.

I’ve been playing four stringers since some bloke called Noah was commanded to build a big boat. A friend of mine opted for a five string and I’ve played it briefly two or three times but that extra string and the smaller spacing really throws me – although I think I could get used to it if I spent plenty of time with it.
Having said that, I’m not convinced enough to splash out on a five stringer.
Perhaps I should suggest a swap for a month or two.

I moved to a 5 a couple of years after I started playing, and that 5 was my only bass for about 15 years. From what I remember, it took me about 3 months to change over, starting with playing all our songs in key x then moving on to all our songs in key y and so on.

I've recently started playing a 4-string bass uke, and I really miss the B string.

David

Thanks to all for the input, very interesting.
I think on balance I might just give it a go! The idea of switching between instruments and tunings doesn't bother me and I like the points about playing 'across the neck'. Will be buying 2nd-hand anyway so not too concerned about depreciation. The notes about string spacing were very useful too.

I've heard that some B-strings are better than others. Any makes that are particularly outstanding (for better or worse) in that area?

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1433946213' post='2795333']
Just occasionally I’ll see a 5-string on sale and think “Hmm, looks nice” but I hold back. I learned on 4-string about 30 years ago and remained 100% faithful to it, and I think there’s some fear that adding another string is going to make me re-learn everything.
If you moved from 4 to 5 how difficult was it, and how long did it take, to rework your technique and feel absolutely comfortable?
[/quote]

Naah its easy, just treat the bottom string as a thumb rest and then stick with it and let your playing evolve.

As someone fairly new to bass. I started on 5 strings and wasn't happy with the results. I like to slide my hands around and found myself playing across rather than along and I didn't make full use of the neck. As a result I went back to 4's and sorted out my technique and then moved up to 5's permanently. I do find it unnatural to switch between 4's and 5's now so play only 5's, including a fretless. Note: I don't claim to be an expert but thats my experience.

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1433976815' post='2795695']
I'm 20 mins from you, pop on over and have a go on some 5's. I'm not trying to sell anything just come have a coffee chat and a jam
[/quote]

There's an offer that's too good to refuse if your seriously considering a five.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1434012086' post='2795842']
But I really play one because I once read that Noel Gallagher doesn't like them.
[/quote]

Do you know if it's anything above a four string that he doesnt like or specifically five strings? I play a six string but if this is true I'm going back to fives...

Edited by CamdenRob

For me the extra low notes are a big part. I'm often given piano scores to play from and a piano goes lower than an E!

Of course I could play octaves, but sometimes that really changes the impact of a tune, especially if everyone is heading towards the basement at the same time- just one instrument going up is odd.

I've just started my second go at five string bass. I play in a function band, and do have a need for this!
My first attempt was a year ago - got an Ibanez SR405. Frankly hated it... B string was floppy and lacked definition. The string spacing was very tight. I sold it after six months to help fund an amp purchase.

Two weeks ago, I bought a Lakland 5501 and I'm loving it - none of the things I hated with the Ibanez. I have use it a two three hour rehearsals - one with my originals band, one with my function band. The timbre of a fretted low E is very different to a that of an open string. Occasional low notes are great too - beats using a octave pedal! I've also pretty much stopped hitting wrong notes...

I'd say go for it! I wish I did a long time ago.

I bought a 5 string for one song - Get Lucky

Yes it sounds silly but every time I heard it I heard that low B being played by my favourite bass player Nathan East I just had to have one since we would be playing it with the band.

Since I bought it I've found so many different ways in which it helps me to play the set with the wedding band and actually few of them involve going below the 3rd fret of the B string which was where the D tuner on the Precision took me.

I had played for about 20 years between 5s and 6s before going back to a 4 string, including several years incorporating fretless, acoustic, semi acoustic, 8s and 12ers.

But if you're not needing the fifth string or don't find that you wish you could play certain patterns without moving too much then stick with the 4

Edited by Delberthot