Why become a member? ×

Surprisingly Difficult Basslines

ChunkyMunky

[b]Can’t Take My Eyes Off You[/b]. It’s not difficult as such, but in the disco version there’s some sustained octave work based on Gb and I find the stretch to the octave gets uncomfortable very quickly.
[b]Billie Jean[/b]. Again, not difficult, but I used to start the phrase with the Gb octave note before deciding it sounded better with the lower note on the E string (which I think is what the original does anyway). That was the best part of a year ago but even now I occasionally get the ghost of what I used to play and it can throw me off the riff.
[b]Hysteria[/b]. Well, yes. The truth is I’ve made this hard for myself because I didn’t start by studying the actual notes – just plugged in and tried it. I knew it wasn’t quite right but found myself constantly playing it the same way. Now I’ve got a good MIDI version in Cakewalk Sonar I can see where I was going wrong and it’s made two parts especially difficult; in the riff with A as the root, part of the climbdown involves two hits on Eb then E/D/E, and that has completely thrown my rhythm. In the riff based on D the climbdown is D/C/B/D/B/Bb/D/Bb/A with each D the open string and the A octave being the first note on the return to the A riff. Timing-wise it’s pretty tough anyway, but made far worse by the wrong way I’ve become used to playing it.

Billie Jean is certainly tricky for me but it's down to repetition, anything that repeats quite that much my mind starts to wander and I'll mess up. It's also
like when you say a word over and over again and eventually it just sounds odd/wrong, I get a bit of that with overly repetitive lines and that'll throw me.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1433777399' post='2793869']
The Amy Winehouse version of [b]Valerie [/b]has the simplest of basslines, but getting the rhythm right (and constant) becomes almost impossible if the drummer doesn’t nail it too.
[/quote]

First thing I thought of! Sounds dead easy but is actually fiendishly tricky to get right. And if it's not bang on, you won't get away with it.

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1433804384' post='2794208']
I got shown an excellent 16th note endurance challenge. I present to you... Donna Summer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2q2bis6eLE
[/quote]
Do you play that as semiquaver octaves?
This was one of my fave songs as a teen & I played it as just the lower quavers from the bassline.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1433769697' post='2793762']
I find some disco lines a challenge, not so much because of any complexity but more the tempo and the octavingness :huh:
[/quote]

For the same reason 'Uprising' by Muse.

One I have tried very hard to get right (and still struggle with by the end) is 'Keep The Faith', Bon Jovi. I play with a pick and have found making the fast changes between strings rather than just grazing down as a finger style player might just doesn't sound right. I sort of cheat and play it as a pull-off and hammer-on which is the only way I can get it to flow. But nailing the overall vibe of the bass line, nuances in how long the notes are held, getting it all to flow properly without derailing has been (continues to be?) a long process.

I learnt octaves very early on from believe it or not Roger Waters. A lot of Pink Floyd stuff uses octaves, nothing difficult but it gets you used to playing them. From then I got into Nathan East through his stint with Eric Clapton and started learning all of the disco stuff to the extent that I'll sometimes invert the pattern.

Anyway for me it's most stuff by Nat King Cole and the likes.The chord progressions and basslines tend to be unexpected to what you'd think that they should be, yet they sound dead easy when you first listen to them

Edited by Delberthot