Why become a member? ×

Delicate topic

Skinnyman

'lead' guitarists have given me many nightmares through the years. The best trait for any musician to have, no matter their ability is to have the capacity to [b]listen,[/b] which is what he seems to be struggling with. It can't harm to point things out in a constructive way. good luck

It obviously bothers you else this thread wouldn't be happening, so carrying on regardless isn't the answer cos it's gonna rankle if he doesn't improve. There was a thread on here a while ago that went something like 'Would A Bad Drummer Make You Leave A Band' and pretty much universally the response was yes! I know there's a special relationship between us lot and our drummers but I don't think it should be exclusive to them.
And don't feel as the new guy you shouldn't have a say - the band accepted you as a member and therefore any issues should be treated democratically.

You could try openly recording your band "just for the hell of it", give the recording to everyone in the band, and then see if anything happens. You never know, he may spot the problem himself, or someone else might say something, especially if the rest of the band have been together longer and know each other better.

Personally I've found Listening to recordings of my own playing quite useful. Until I first heard myself recorded I didn't realise I had a tendency to play ahead of the beat a bit too much on occasions, which was causing the drummer to speed up, and I've largely managed to correct that now.

The solution is obvious. You have to speak to him. The issue is not finding the solution, it is implemnting it!! It is important to appraoch the issue of criticism with your ultimate goal in mind. 'Hey, Fred. You're sh*t' wis great if you want to start a row that will result in one of you leaving the band. You need to find an approach that retains your relationship and also allow the other party TIME to address the issue. I remember reading an article once on Bruce Springsteen who, at the top of his career, had a change of drummer. The new guy was not cutting it but The Boss allowed him to sort it his shortcomings over a year.

I would record a rehearsal and then sit him down to listen to the tape saying something like 'Hey, Fred. We need to have a chat about your playing. I like your ideas and feel but there are occasional note choices that are not working and [b]we[/b] need to look at (share the issue in terms of recognising that the problem is everybodies not just his) . Is it a gap in your knowledge or are you hearing these notes as correct? Challenge the behaviour but not at the cost of the relationship.

I remember telling a friend that he needed to think a bit more about his phrasing. He got the hump (quietly, he was too nice a guy to have a fight) but called me the next day to thank me. He had gone home and listened to himself on a recording and could hear what I was saying. He is still a friend today 20 years on. My greatest epiphanies have happened as a consequence of chats liek,this. The idea is to say to people 'I respect you enough to offer advice and to believe that you will accept this criticism as a means to secure improvements in your playing. If someone is a total trainwreck, I wouldn't be critical because it is pointless. If a small thing can make a massive difference, it is almost a DUTY to say something :lol:

Fortunately, everyone else in the band recognises the issue. We've decided to have a "technical rehearsal" to try out some new PA gear and which we'll also record for demo purposes. During same, we'll concentrate on the songs with the worst solos and then let everyone have a copy.

As a follow up, I'll then ask the guitarist if he'd like to overdub the solos and spend an afternoon working on getting them right for the demos.

Some great suggestions guys, thanks

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1433059504' post='2787341']
It could be worse, you could have this guy playing your solos!
[media]http://youtu.be/ezO-qXZ2pYE[/media]
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433062970' post='2787367']
Were doomed, aren't we? Humans, I mean.
[/quote]
Here is a tutorial on how to achieve this level of musicality!
http://youtu.be/gib_8A8KSCk

Hmmmm....for a moment there I thought the OP might be the bass player in my band......I set up and manage the band and get the gigs and we have some really good gigs that pay well and get everybody dancing. I am also playing guitar in the band (not bass for once) and have only been playing six strings for a few years. I reckon I am genuinely good on rhythm guitar and have recently started trying a few solos. Most of the band say my solos are fine and just need a bit of improvement on timing; but I know they aren't really good enough yet to be aired n public.

If my experience is anything to go by, I reckon that if your guitarist has gone to all the effort required to put a decent band together that gets gigs and people dancing, he will already know that he has work to do to get to the level to which he aspires. So he will probably appreciate the honesty and an offer to give him the space in a jam to work on his soloing. Ultimately he is likely to want the band to be as good as it can be, as a direct reward for the huge effort he has already put in.

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1433075858' post='2787540']
If he's so bad how can people like it??
[/quote]

Because a sizeable proportion, perhaps the majority, of non-musicians in the audience will be listening to the music inside their heads.

Ask him politely if you can give him some feedback, make sure that everything you tell him is constructive and that it is not directed at him as a person.
Say stuff like "I have an idea for your solo for *insert song*" and show hims stuff that fits and is in key. If he has only been playing a short while, he may not know anything about theory and why some stuff works and other stuff doesn't. If he really wants to learn he will listen.
Don't say "I didn't really like what you did there"

Edited by rjs1909

Recording the odd gig or rehearsal lets the band hear warts and all how they sound and how balanced the overall sound is.
I've found this an invaluable tool to highlight any playing issues.
That way you are not pointing the finger directly and hopefully each member realises he's the one with the issue and needs to polish up his technique and playing.

If need be suggest VID of the gig for a laugh or for advertising purposes to get the band into the idea.

Bass players need to be sneaky :) :lol: :D

Dave