Why become a member? ×

So gear sharing a cab.

Fisheth

So I'm playing a show in a couple of months, one of the other bands has offered to share a bass cab.

Any advice on this? I'm going to be plugging in my Orange Bass Terror and just wanted some advice, even if it's a general don't do it. I've not had any details about the setup yet, but I'll update via a post and a edit here when I hear more about the cab.

As above really, makes changeovers quicker and easier for all. If you are going through FOH and know what your amp sounds like with your regular settings, and the cab changes your sound I find it best to put up with the on-stage sound at the expense of the audience hearing what you want them to hear. On-stage sound is only for you/the band.

On a forum that's been going for eight years or so you're bound to get thread duplication. OK, so it's probably an idea to search the forum if you have a question you think may already have been answered or a subject that has already been debated, but I don't think it's out of order for a new member to post a question and expect reasonably considered answers from those members who feel like sharing.

Sorry guys, was just wanting to make sure there were things I could do if my Orange is making the cab distort or anything, I'm assuming back off bass and turn it down?

That was the question I was trying to get out. I'm really sorry about my wording!

It's a good idea to check what type of connector is required; some cabs are Speakon, some 1/4" jack, some have both. make sure you've adequate leads to be able to plug in your amp..?
Other than that, there's not that much that can go wrong if everyone uses a bit of common sense (no 1000w amps turned up to 11; if it sounds odd, turn it down etc...) As far as sound is concerned, a cab is a cab, except to some bassists. :mellow:

Not sure I'd call an OBT as especially compatible with a lot of cabs... so I'd want to know WHAT cab.

As always, I'll ask what is being provided and if I think I can use it, I will..... or if they want to use mine,
I'll bass tech it for a fee.
Tbh, there aren't going to many rigs better than mine so I'm always thinking I'll take mine...and I know how it works for me..
Ask many questions, IMO

It can save hassle... but if you have a relatively portable solution that you like and you're able to take it... that's what I'd do.
I generally take a 1x12" cab and my amp with me (or a similar combo) if there is amplification provided. I just prefer to use mine, I know what to expect from it and I know I'll be happy with it. I can stack it over whatever was provided if space is an issue, and I never encountered a single sound guy who protested. If they did... tough. It's just a DI line from a different amp, I'm not asking for the moon. ;)

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1432806964' post='2785098']
Wait till you gig and every drummer insists on his own kit, instead of just their own snare....
[/quote]

No..! :o That couldn't happen, [i]ever[/i], surely..? :unsure: Could it..? :rolleyes:

I would tend to want to use my rig because it's the best in the Universe (IMO) and am happy for people to use it but have used rigs I am not partial to if there's full pa support because it's ultimately only my stage monitor and having the sound man on your side is very important.

Not always ideal but it's often not worth the hassle. I did a televised festival a couple of years ago whre I had asked for a valve head and 2x15 and was greeted by some digital Peavey head and a 4x10. You just act professionally and get on with it.

I'd be a singer if I wanted to be a primadonna. Just sayin' ;-)

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1432810070' post='2785143']
You just act professionally and get on with it.
[/quote]

Quite, I've just played a gig with a pre arranged back line - on stage sound was appalling, watching / listening back to some video footage revealed a well mixed representation of the band. Load of people dancing and having fun - what's not to like?

The aim of the game is to play waaay louder than you normally do. Crank up the low end - it's not often you get to push the drivers beyond they're limit with no repercussions....

I'm joking of course, but it seems to be the attitude of everyone that I've ever lent a cab to.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1432752848' post='2784674']
Just turn up with your gear in the car....check out what's on stage, and make a decision on what to use there and then. If you are not happy with what's already provided, go to plan B...your gear in the back of the car....
[/quote]

Exactly this.
Is just what I'm doing tonight in fact :)

The corollary of this is if you insist on playing through your kit - I think you have to allow everyone else to play through it too.
I'm no expert but over the years I've probably done 70 odd gigs in smaller venues, usually on a night when there's at least 3 bands on.
The soundman usually has 15 mins to do changeover. A lot of that time is going to be doing mandatory stuff like adding more vocal mics etc, setting up the desk with the settings that each band soundchecked with, possibly also checking the lights are set up for each band etc.
If everyone in every band wanted to insist on using their own equipment, this would never get done in time. With all due respect, all the bass rig is doing is providing you with on stage monitoring, the tone is going to be coming out of FoH PA.
It's usual for drummers to use their own snare and share the rest of the kit due to the painful logistics of micing up a full kit.
Anything you do to make life easier for the soundman is good karma that you'll cash in by them probably doing a better job of making you sound great on the soundcheck and then in the gig later.
I would always ask the other bands first and I'd usually have my amp in the car anyway unless I was drinking that night and travelling light. If the first on stage was crap, I'd suggest using mine and then let the other bands use it too.
With the best will in the world if you do that and by all means say "don't turn the power up past X" then no-one's going to damage your kit...

I think if you can communicate prior and agree things with confidence then thats great.

We did one last year where both I and the band we where supporting brought almost the exact same mark bass rig, in the end we just set mine up, but he would have happily shared also, seems silly we both dragged the gear there.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1432743319' post='2784529']
Not this again .........

I do not use anybody's gear other than my own
I do not let anyone else use my gear either.

End of discussion.
[/quote]
Same here except when it's a festival and a backline is provided by the organiser. Then I usually take my own bass head.