Why become a member? ×

RIP BB KIng

ianrendall

Unhappy news, but sadly not unexpected.

Saw BB many times in the 80's and 90's. What a great band; Russell B Jackson and then Michael Doster on bass.

Some of my favourite BB King moments were the first time I heard him, on Blues Is King (what an eye opener that was in 1967), the Blues Summit (that's what a bass should sound like) and Deuces Wild (with Pino) CD's, the classic numbers he recorded with the Crusaders and the live albums he made with Bobby Bland.

As a small child I saw BB King sing a song with a line of lyrics that were ingrained in my mind since then. It took me 30 years of searching (pre internet) before I found the song. The lyrics are:

"I've got a good mind to give up living
And go shopping instead"

From All Over Again. A real music hero of mine and probably my main reason for getting into blues music. RIP BB

Like most of the Blues guys BB signed away the copyright to his songs years ago, but he wrote some great lines.

"The only one who loves me is my mother, and she could be jiving me too."

"I gave you a 3 course dinner. You said, Thanks for the snack. I gave you 7 children and now you want to give them back."

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1431684021' post='2773905']

I only recently found out how supportive and encouraging he was with young up and coming guitarists over the years and that's a rare quality in itself in the topsy turvy music world.

[/quote]

He gave a 12 year old Joe Bonamassa a slot at one of his shows and helped him become the musician he is now.

End of a era, but the legend will live on. Can't really be sad - he got to 89 and was gigging until last October!

I loved his guitar and his singing. I think someone here said that never has a guitarist managed to get so much feeling out of a single note.

What a guy! RIP BB

Saw him play in '94 in Holland with a big band. Incredible gig. He played for hours it seemed, giving out watches to the front rows at the end!
I just feel grateful that we had him with us so long.
Tonight I'm raising a few glasses to The King.
Thank you B.B.you were MAGNIFICENT! 👍