Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Visible Thumb

anaxcrosswords

What an odd thing to be thinking about, but thinking about it I am. Just been blasting through a few songs and noticed that I vary between thumb on the back of the fretboard and thumb sticking out above the E string. Can’t say that one feels more comfortable than the other, nor does one seem to point towards better technique or playing speed.
And yet… I have this strange image of the hidden thumb looking somehow more ‘professional’, and that the sticky-up version somehow isn’t. Damn strange thing to think…

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1429832709' post='2755495'] Thanks for posting this, I've seen many of Scott's video lessons but not this one. Very helpful. Scott Devine is a beacon of the bass conmunity, he truly is making bassists better. [/quote]

+1.

I use his free Tube videos and they help a lot, thinking of subscribing to he paid for lessons. I'm 60 but it's never too late to learn and the old dogs, new tricks is bollocks. I'm learning to speak Thai at the moment.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1429860019' post='2755550']
Scott's video is really good. My bass teacher taught me to position my hands like that right from lesson 1, so luckily I've never got into any 'bad habits' in that way.
I don't think I could actually play with my thumb over the fretboard even if I tried to.
[/quote]

I'm the same, it just doesn't feel right. However it turns out I can play with an ovenglove on :lol: (drunken bet)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1429860236' post='2755553']

I'm the same, it just doesn't feel right. However it turns out I can play with an ovenglove on :lol: (drunken bet)
[/quote]

Having said that... I've just had a look at my own Facebook profile pic, and you can see a bit of thumb rising over the fretboard! Oops! :D

As is often said when discussing technique...nothing is written in stone. It is neither a cardinal sin or "bad" technique to have the thumb peeping over the top of the neck at times.

Granted, it is not a very efficient way of playing, but if a song requires you to only play within a
small area of the neck, i.e. little or no moving up and down the neck, then I dont see any reason to be hung for treason for having it peep over. :D

Here is a clip worth checking out :

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM-rkoy2H8I"]https://www.youtube....h?v=OM-rkoy2H8I[/url]

Edited by Coilte

Well I've seen Larry Graham ( to name but one) hang his thumb over the top of the neck and I'm not telling him he's wrong!

I agree nothing is set in stone technique-wise. Where there is a rule, there are alway exceptions - people who shouldn't be able to play like that, but somehow can, and often brilliantly. I do think that with some things, there is a limit - maybe a time comes (or even just a lick or phrase) when you have no choice but to (for example) tuck that thumb back in (even if only momentarily).

This guy seems to have done OK for himself...and look at his thumb. ;) :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFcsEtFIKA

BTW, I am not making a case for the thumb over the neck technique. I am merely trying to make the point that nothing is written in stone.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1429862318' post='2755589']
It does give extra damping possibilities however.
[/quote]

Thinking about it I do this when playing guitar... when playing chords on the top 5 strings (A or C etc) I often bring my thumb over as an extra line of defence against over zelous strumming...

When I have to play something technical I use proper technique. Thumb halfway down neck, wide stretch etc. When I'm slumming it playing simple lines I just have my hand comfortable, thumb anywhere don't bother with correct technique. Keep it relaxed. Each to their own! But it's what works for you, if the notes get played right that's all that matters.

Depending on the set and choice of songs i've seen me put thumb over the edge of the E but more to give my hand a break from thumb normally along the back of the neck.
No reason why you cant vary it to suit what you are doing.
I've also seen some bassists fret the E string with their thumb.

Dave