Why become a member? ×

what 5 string upto £600?

jassbass

Im on the look out for a 5 string i have upto £ 600
I would like a sire marcus miller but out of stock til mid july
Cort gb5 custom
Warwick corvette standard ( german made)
Musicman sub ( usa)
Ibanez atk 305
Ibanez sr1205
Yamaha 1025
Just a few ive seen,im not really a musicman player and i think the ibanez string spacing maybe too tight
Any thoughts please?
Thanx
Nothing local enough to try really

There's an SR1205 in the for sale section for well under your budget http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259558-price-drop-ibanez-1205-l480-including-hard-case/page__p__2745674__hl__1205__fromsearch__1#entry2745674 I have a1605 (same bass, different top) and they are top quality basses with great hardware.

Don't ask on here, seriously.

You'll get loads of different answers, all well meaning, but based on what others would look for.

The best thing is to go along to a shop or shops, and try as many as possible.

There are 2 reasons why people buy a 5 and then sell them -

1) The buyer thinks of it as a 4 string with an extra string, the B therefore just becomes a thumb rest.

2) They buy the wrong one. There are lots of variables, string spacing, neck profile, neck width etc. You may find one with the perfect width, but the wrong profile neck etc.

String spacing on the Ibanez SR series is 16.5 mm about as tight as it gets. The Yamaha is streets ahead of everything on your list quality wise. It you just want a great quality backup with a similar string spacing to your Carvin there is a Bass Collection SB315 in the classified for a bargain price.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1428956495' post='2746468']
You'll get loads of different answers, all well meaning, but based on what others would look for.
[/quote]

I guess that's why the OP posted, "Any thoughts please?"

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1428997432' post='2746721']
My Yamaha BB feels like to should cost £ 600
[/quote]
[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1428997852' post='2746724']
I'm hoping that's a good thing? Not so good if it's a BB2024x
[/quote]

:P Hopefully it's a BB3xx or BB4xx. My BB425 (retails at around £300) definitely feels like a >£600 bass.

I just bought my first 5er.
My advice : try a bunch.
I finally discovered that I needed a large string spacing to be comfy. Tried a lot of basses, but finally ended up with... A Squier Jazz Bass Deluxe V.
50mm nut width, 19mm string spacing at bridge... a dream to play... for me. Some people like tight string spacings and 44mm nuts with 15mm strings spacing.
Really, try a bunch. Pickups, electronics can be changed, so sound wise, you have options. But try and find a comfortable bass for you.
The Squier I bought was nowhere near my first and second list. But when I found that a large nut and string spacing was necessary to me, it becam obvious that it was THE 5er for me. (and I paid 130£, so i can even change the bridge for a Babicz, put nordstrand p'ups and another 3-band preamp in there (the OEM one is a three band. )

And, yes, a Corvette STD german is a good bass... but will it fit you ?