Why become a member? ×

Attaching a small head to cabs question

thebrig

I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 head, and would like suggestions for attaching it to my cab securely.

Apart from the fact that it could get pulled off quite easily, it also moves due to the vibrations of the lower notes.
I have raised the legs on the head so it clears the handle on the cab, but I need to secure it and have thought about velcro, but it would need to go from side to side, because if I go front to back, it will get in the way of the knobs on the front, and the inputs/outputs on the back.

I guess this problem applies to most small heads, so your suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Depending on the type and position of handles on your cab I'd suggest just passing the lead loosely round a handle once, and that should give enough protection from the head being pulled off the cab if you catch the lead.

Regarding the vibration issue, you could just try a piece of foam - I've been using a short piece of 2" x 4" auralex foam to tilt a cab back, and have been putting a GK MB200 head on another piece of foam on top of the cab. There's no hint of it moving, despite it sloping back at an angle. Admittedly it's a rat fur covered cab, but even if it was tolex I don't think it would move, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't if the cab was flat on the floor.

The advantage of this is nothing needs to get stuck or screwed in place.

Why not see if you can get one of these. I guess they also make them for the normal Shuttles.

[url="https://www.andrewsmusic.net/shoppingcart/products/NEW-GENZ-BENZ-AMP-SADDLE-%252d-FITS-SHUTTLEMAX-6.0,-6.2,-9.0,-9.2,-12.0-%26-12.2.html"]https://www.andrewsm...0-%26-12.2.html[/url]

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1428688753' post='2743862']
What cab are you using?

IME, if they are made correctly, cabs shouldn't be vibrating excessively. If they are that's your tone and volume dissipating.

I put a piece of foam under all of my amps.
[/quote]Two Genz Benz Shuttle 2x10 cabs.

I'm thinking of putting a small cable tie loosely around the handle, and then threading velcro through it so that it goes around the amp side to side, hopefully that might do the trick. :)

I use a piece of that tacky rubber mesh sheet that people use to stop things sliding around on their car dashboards - available quite cheaply from places like Wilkinson's and the Range. You might need to cut a hole for the cab handle.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1428703345' post='2744020']
I use a piece of that tacky rubber mesh sheet that people use to stop things sliding around on their car dashboards - available quite cheaply from places like Wilkinson's and the Range. You might need to cut a hole for the cab handle.
[/quote]

I also use this. Cost me 79p for a large roll from B&M Bargains. Cut a pice off the roll to size et voila. Light weight, rolls up small to pack away in your gig bag and works a treat. The beauty of this is no permanent mods to either amp or cab are required. I went for green to match the Bergantino logo on my cabs.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1428674655' post='2743684']
A spot of Bostick and a couple of neodymium magnets should do the job, I'd say..? A few pence on t'bay...
[/quote]
Good idea. Just be careful as neo magnets operate at such a low frequency they can interfere with the tonal response of the amp, especially if you are playing a 5 string ;)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1428688753' post='2743862']
What cab are you using?

IME, if they are made correctly, cabs shouldn't be vibrating excessively. If they are that's your tone and volume dissipating.

I put a piece of foam under all of my amps.
[/quote]

That is what I was going to say. You should be able to sit the Shuttle on top of the cab with no problem. I use a MB500 GK for back up and it never moves.

Blue

A bit more expensive than the mesh stuff, but someone on BC bought this

[url="http://www.stageworksgear.com/products/non-slip-pedal-mats-guitar-keyboard-drum-effect.htm"]http://www.stageworksgear.com/products/non-slip-pedal-mats-guitar-keyboard-drum-effect.htm[/url]

and used one of the mats and sold the other, which I bought. Have been using that under my Tecamp Puma for some time now.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1428825120' post='2744770'] Thanks for the suggestions folks, the rubber mesh sheet seems like a great idea, as I don't want to make any permanent mods to the cab or head. I will head off to Wilko's this week. :) [/quote]

I was annoyed with my Shuttle 9.2 because the plastic feet just don't have any grip, so it was too easy for it to slide around.

I ended up replacing the feet: it's cheap, non-destructive, and really easy. You can reinstall the original ones anytime, no fuss.

I made a thread about it, it includes pictures... maybe that will work for you too? It certainly did the job for me :)

thread below:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231593-replacing-feet-on-a-genz-benz-shuttle-92-with-pictures/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231593-replacing-feet-on-a-genz-benz-shuttle-92-with-pictures/[/url]