Why become a member? ×

Blackberry Smoke

madshadows

Yup, great band - seen them live twice including tiny venue in Nottingham a few years ago....absolutely brillinat live band....closest I'll ever get to feeling what it must have been like to see/hear The Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd in their prime. Tho BSmoke are neither of those bands, they just share common roots.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1427976044' post='2736538']
Yup, great band - seen them live twice including tiny venue in Nottingham a few years ago....absolutely brillinat live band....closest I'll ever get to feeling what it must have been like to see/hear The Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd in their prime. Tho BSmoke are neither of those bands, they just share common roots.
[/quote]I was lucky enough to see Lynyrd Skynyrd at Knebworth, the Stones topped the bill, and the lineup included, 10cc, Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Hot Tuna, Don Harrison Band to name but a few, great music, the temperature was well in eighties, hey, those were the days! :sun_bespectacled:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1427983029' post='2736676']
I was lucky enough to see Lynyrd Skynyrd at Knebworth, the Stones topped the bill, and the lineup included, 10cc, Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Hot Tuna, Don Harrison Band to name but a few, great music, the temperature was well in eighties, hey, those were the days! :sun_bespectacled:
[/quote]

The summer of 1976 - an absolute roaster. I remember watching The Old Grey Whistle Test review of the decade on New Years eve 79, and they showed LS playing Freebird - amazing band, and back in the days when you had to have a 100 foot lead to be a real player : none of your radio pack nonsense.

http://youtu.be/UGKIX2_ViF8

As to Blackberry Smoke - great band, with brilliantly crafted and clever songs. I'd love to catch them live.

After spending a fair amount of time in Vegas and listening to "The Bull" radio station which pretty much plays this stuff constantly I've found southern rock growing on me a lot... Good guitar and quite catchy songs. This is the first time I've heard of them but quite enjoying it... beats the normal southern song writing about either; trucks, girls, drinking.

Black Stone Cherry are good as well!

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Black Stone Cherry are good as well! [/font][/color][/quote]

yes - a bit more mainstream rock rather than Southern Rock.
On the black theme though Blackfoot did some cracking southern rock in the 80's - Ricky Medlocke was a founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd and is playing back with them again now - LS's God and Guns is a great album too while I'm prattling on... :)

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1428481702' post='2741599']

yes - a bit more mainstream rock rather than Southern Rock.
On the black theme though Blackfoot did some cracking southern rock in the 80's - Ricky Medlocke was a founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd and is playing back with them again now - LS's God and Guns is a great album too while I'm prattling on... :)
[/quote]

Blackfoot.... Yes!

Fantastic band - hugely underrated, and the Marauder album was the soundtrack to my summer in 1981. Cruising around in the 1.3 purple Metallic Morris Marina GT, with the cassette player going full tilt, and the windows down. Youth is wasted on the young......

Never saw them live, but any drummer whose nickname is 'Thunderfoot' is worth checking out.

Edited by The Admiral

[quote]Never saw them live, but any drummer whose nickname is 'Thunderfoot' is worth checking out. [/quote]

Sadly Jackson Spires passed away a few years back, brain embolism after a gig :(

Greg T Walker did some great bass lines though - they're live album is truly great as well

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1428866800' post='2745495']

Sadly Jackson Spires passed away a few years back, brain embolism after a gig :(

Greg T Walker did some great bass lines though - they're live album is truly great as well
[/quote]

That's very sad re Mr Spires. What is it with drummers and health issues?

Agree regarding Greg T Walker, and is it 'Highway Song', the live album? I think I have it on vinyl..... Must dig it out.

Yes Highway Song Live it's called, great album :)

They kind of lost their way after that when their second guitarist Charlie Hagrett left, the next album Vertical Smiles was not great. Ricky Medlocke did a mostly solo album under the Blackfoot name in the late nineties called After the Reign that was ok. Apparently a couple of years back he tried to reboot the band with all new young members ( he wasn't even in it!) unsurprisingly it sank like a stone

Edited by BobVbass

• 2 months later...