Why become a member? ×

Bass demo, what would you play

lojo

Been checking out a few demos on new basses (d Larkin etc) and got me thinking about the choices made in what to play

So ..

Your asked to demo a bass for a 2 min clip , you've got to do at least a few tone changes and maybe a pickup or 2

What playing styles, part of song, scale etc would you choose ?

Btw, I'm havin a lazy start to the day

Edited by lojo

Play something that involves covering a bit of the fretboard.... Master Blaster or Sir Duke by Mr Wonder will do this for you. A great Funky style blues thing to demo is Honey Hush...BB King. As long as what you play makes sense to the listener...either thru familiarity with the tune, clarity of sound and a measured tempo so notes dont become a racket...Even just a few scales played in different positions on the neck will show off the tone qualities of the bass, and will give the listener a clear and proper idea of what the bass is capable of. All I would suggest, is do not play any mindless slappy funk nonsense on your bottom E that just produces a low end din. This does not showcase the bass, or the player, and has been done to death by armies of shredders that you can see a million times on You tube. You don't demo a car by doing a hand brake turn in the car park...so don't do the bass equivalent. To me, a clear version of Doe Ray Me etc, is far more informative on a demo than riffs, or slap done badly... Good luck with what you are doing, and why not share what you end up doing with us... Would love to see it.....

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1427014063' post='2724591']
Master Blaster or Sir Duke by Mr Wonder will do this for you.
[/quote]

And of course will show that you had to study these songs along with 38,000 other Music Tech grads, all of whom will spend the rest of their lives using them at sound check. :rolleyes:

No ... go with Mustang Sally. :D

Mustang Sally would do a great job of showing off nothing but half a dozen notes on the E A and D string. Come on..... That's not a demo...it's showing you can play the most kicked to death, sing a long song of all time. You need to go past the 5th fret to show a bass off. I think we both have a completely different concept of what demonstrating the potential, and capabilities of a bass guitar are...

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1427013417' post='2724583']
E E E E A A A A D D D D G G GG
EE E E A A AA DD D D GG G G
EE AA DDGG EEE E

:)
[/quote]

Trust you to go all technical and flashy :D

Got ant tabs for that tune?

Edited by jezzaboy

Doesn't matter what you play, there are so many other variables at work in these demo clips that make them to all intents & purposes worthless.
The clips on the Bass Direct website are a good example of this, where every bass, no matter how expensive, sounds like a piece of crap (IMO of course.....).

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1427014063' post='2724591']
A great Funky style blues thing to demo is Honey Hush...BB King.
[/quote]

Do you mean Albert Collins Jonny - big BB King fan and can't find a version by him?
Cheers,
Mike

Waheyyy Mikesbass.......It's one of those tunes I have been playing in my Funk band for years..... Another absolute corker to have a bash at is Girl I wanna dance with you, by Wolfman Washington.. but only the studio version, and then there is Barefootin....These three allow any bass player to see the crossover point between Blues and Funk.... Of all the funky tunes I play, these are the ones I enjoy most...and they are not originally funky tunes. Give them a try and see what you reckon...and let me know...

A problem I've noticed with a lot of 'demos' is that they're demonstrating a bass using high end amplifiers and generally seem to use the video as a method to show off their chops.

The Bass Whisperer is the only one who I find does demo's where you actually get an idea of what the bass sounds like.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1427016248' post='2724615']
Mustang Sally would do a great job of showing off nothing but half a dozen notes on the E A and D string. Come on..... That's not a demo...it's showing you can play the most kicked to death, sing a long song of all time. You need to go past the 5th fret to show a bass off. I think we both have a completely different concept of what demonstrating the potential, and capabilities of a bass guitar are...
[/quote]

There is a small chance I wasn't being entirely serious...