Why become a member? ×

How loud are you un amped?

Twincam

Just curious when un amped how loud are you?. Obviously say a hollow body will be louder, but when playing a solid body how well can you hear it?.
When un amped i can only just about hear myself, using tapewounds and light plucking. The various sounds made from the fret board are often louder, thankfully not the same amped of course.

No real point to this just curious.

The one on the left is a lot louder the one on the right unplugged :D
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130308_185259_zps4eb72611.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/20130308_185259_zps4eb72611.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1426628439' post='2720178']
The one on the left is a lot louder the one on the right unplugged :D
[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130308_185259_zps4eb72611.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Urgh there's always one!.... Hahaha :D

Oh and to add is it wise keeping them next to that radiator???

Edited by Twincam

I am in Petes camp , but know-where near as accomplished , I have bought an acoustic that is great for practice , loud enough to hear , easy to pick up , no leads , no switching on , just play , much like my DB , except the lack of frets on my DB still disturbs me :lol: ,
I think the acoustic being shortish scale makes it easier for my inky dinky little hands , but DB is just special, if a little ..er ......big :D

In my experience, if you're concentrating, you can hear all your notes, but most basses are very quiet un-plugged

I do have one bass which is quite loud un-plugged. No idea what makes it louder, but it's lovely to play. The only problem is the p-ups are knackered so I can't really play it plugged in!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426666237' post='2720377']
My bass is a solid body and easily loud enough for practicing unplugged.... then again I have a somewhat agricultural technique... :blink:
[/quote]

Me too... :blush:

Depends on which bass I'm playing; my Jazz is generally quiet, audible but you don't really get the tone. On the other hand my Warwick is loud enough to be heard over the TV to the point that I'll often pick it up if there's a lot of music in the program I'm watching & try to play along - it's an incredibly resonant bass.

I'm thinking i might start practicing amped more. My playing has become very sterile and dull as i hear fretboard clacking etc over the note often sounds very plastic too with Fender tapewounds most of it not coming through an amp, many noises by the nature of string on metal frets will never be eliminated, but im still overly trying to reduce them. Rather than focus on the nuances of playing im trying to now play cleaner and cleaner focusing solely on that.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1426630827' post='2720220']
Thanks for that picture Pete. I have now printed it out so I can show to the wife the next time she complains about bass guitars taking up space!! :D
[/quote]
I'm quite a lucky boy being allowed to keep a double bass in the bedroom I know :)

I'm not sure the word accomplished and my upright ability should be in the same sentence kev without the words terribly un before it, lol