Why become a member? ×

Covers For Amps And Cabs

spongebob

Soon as I bought my new combo, I made sure I got a new cover right away.

Now I've got the cab on the way - shock horror - I can't get a cover for it (not from Roqsolid, and I don't know of anywhere else!)

Our guitarist never uses covers on any of his amps, I've noticed a fair few others that don't either!

Am I being over cautious? Do cabs really need to be covered?

Just wondering how many in BC land cover their electrical goods as well! :)

Depends on the cab. My old cabs with metal grills and rat fur I didn't bother as they were tough as nails. Somewhat prettier tolex and grill cloths warrant a bit more protection.
Just realised my amp fits perfectly in an aluminium Maplin case too, so that's that one sorted.

Yep as above Roqsolid will sort - and then put it up as a stock item usually if you tell them what amp/cab/combo it`s for. I always have covers for combos or cabs, more for protection against rain than anything.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1425234821' post='2705405']
Yep as above Roqsolid will sort - and then put it up as a stock item usually if you tell them what amp/cab/combo it`s for. I always have covers for combos or cabs, more for protection against rain than anything.
[/quote]

Yup, same as me!

I'm just so used to taking my gear out covered up, it's always weird when I don't.

Got the cab coming this week, and with a gig and a studio date, I'll have to go naked until I can get a cover made. Shame no one does a generic 15" cab cover!

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1425236679' post='2705449']
Have you tried Hotcovers.co.uk? I got one for my Ampeg PF115 and it's pretty good - fairly tough and well padded.
[/quote]

Just looked and they do them! Great tip - many thanks...and they send in 48 hours!

I just like my stuff covered...!

My EA Wizzy 10 cab lives in a padded cajon bag, and still looks almost new after about six years despite having been gigged many times and lugged around on the bus. My other gear has got rather shonky covers made out of post-office sacks and gaffer tape, which I should really look at replacing with proper ones!

My lh500 lives in a cheapo stagg 2u rackbag with mdf boards on the inside. It's easy to carry and plenty enough protection. The ashdown cabs aren't covered, but starting to show their bumps and scrapes. Hoping to get a couple of neo cabs soon and will probably get covers for them.

My amp is a rack mounted unit and so lives in a Boschma 6U Rack case. I don't bother with covers for my cabs, AFAIAC they are hard enough wearing not to need them.

From experience regular gigging takes it's toll on any case or cover that isn't a full flight case. In my guitar playing days the soft cover for my combo didn't last a year before it was shredded and useless.

If I had the transport and a road crew, my whole rig would be fitted into a single flight case that could be wheeled into place and ready for use simply by plugging in mains power. Otherwise I'll stick with what I have.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1425315216' post='2706137']
It's called a Combo!
[/quote]

I don't know of any combos that have one of the speakers at ear-level plus a built-in tuner, wireless system and all my effects (and can deliver 1kW if required).

Emailed Roqsolid, and it turns out they do make one for the 115, so it's on the way.

I love their covers, and the protection against the elements they offer - feel much happier going out with one on.

Couldn't imagine leaving the house without! :blush:

I always buy a cover for amp or cab, although I only load into my car its still very easy to scrape without a cover. Ive tried roqsolid but I prefer the covers from Hotcovers. I like the black leather look material and the service is fantastic. Normally next day,regardless if its a custom or standard.

I had a problem with the cover with my phil jones because its an awkward shape. Sent it back for a mod. 24 hour service and no charge.

Fabulous

I always have some form of cover for anything I take out of the house, and this goes a long way towards maintaining its condition and hence resale value:

Barefaced cabs - Roqsolid covers
Streamliner - lap-top bag!
SVT 3 Pro - fits in my Pedaltrain 2 gig bag( which also gets used on guitar gigs - for holding my Pedaltrain!)
Guitar combo - flightcase doubles as amp stand, also have a soft cover for non-gig use

Before discovering Roqsolid, I used to fashion cardboard slip covers for my cabs!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1425316636' post='2706153']
I don't know of any combos that have one of the speakers at ear-level plus a built-in tuner, wireless system and all my effects (and can deliver 1kW if required).
[/quote]

Sorry, there should have been a smiley at the end of my previous comment!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1425316636' post='2706153']
combos that have one of the speakers at ear-level plus a built-in tuner, wireless system and all my effects (and can deliver 1kW if required).
[/quote]

Coming soon to a Dragon's Den near you!!

Really don't get soft covers for cabs. IMO a properly made cab is its own case. Also my experience with soft covers on something much smaller and lighter than the average bass cab was that they had the durability only slightly greater than a wet tissue and unless I could afford to replace them every 6 months or so the amount of protection they give when loading in and our of the band van is going to minimal.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1425381599' post='2706656']
Really don't get soft covers for cabs. IMO a properly made cab is its own case. Also my experience with soft covers on something much smaller and lighter than the average bass cab was that they had the durability only slightly greater than a wet tissue and unless I could afford to replace them every 6 months or so the amount of protection they give when loading in and our of the band van is going to minimal.
[/quote]

Don't expect too much - covers keeps rain and dust off/out and that's principally what they're for IMO.

i've got Roqsolid covers for my Midgets, mainly to keep them looking new, i never bothered before but i dug my old marshall combo out a while ago and it looks like it has been attacked by rats, and that's just from being loaded in and out of the car.

i went for the extra padding and the speaker protection pocket, mainly for peace of mind.

i voted that i don't have a cover for the amp but it does live in a laptop bag when it's not in use.

Matt

Always have covers but I stay away from Roqsolid nowadays, very overpriced for what they are. Hot Covers seem better made (miles better padded protection, better outer materials) and usually quite a bit cheaper

I currently don't have a cover for my cab, which means I have to shoo the cat away from using it as a scratching post - I don't really get carpet covers on cabs? Aside from the problems for cat owners, tolex has always looked so much better and more hard wearing to me?

My head's in a rack case, so that's covered - I'm surprised more guitar amps aren't rack mountable, It does strike me as the best solultion.