Why become a member? ×

Hummm, I think im being scammed.

Jobiebass

Hi all,

Well I bid on [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120291312706&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=002"]This Musicman Sterling[/url] and it came up with a 2nd chance offer for £550 with "free postage" the free postage was my first thing I flagged up as strange after the winning bid would have paid £650 + 25.

This is the message I recieved.

Musicman sterling bass. Natural body, maple neck 4 str
Musicman sterling bass. Natural body, maple neck 4 str
Current price:
£550.00
Buy It Now price:
£550.00Buy It Now
Shipping: £25.00
Expiration Time: 17-Aug-08 16:35:21 BST
Message from seller: Hello sir, Please do not reply here . I am at work and I can't sign in into my eBay account . Please contact me via e-mail because there I can respond to all your questions. Here is my e-mail ( ward.brian@gmx de ).
Seller:

glynnejones (196)
96.7% Positive Feedback
Member since 01-Jan-00 in United Kingdom

The email doesnt match his name either. and its a Dutch or german email address from what I can guess.

Been emailing him anyways, but he wanted my address etc before I pay him, asking me what my state and zipcode is, stupidly i did, then he sent me an email saying this...

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] ([email protected])
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as unsafe
Sent: 13 August 2008 18:45:15
To: [email protected]

Congratulations 666jobie666( 49)!

Never respond to an unsolicited email that includes incentives to buy or sell an item off the eBay Marketplace. If you get such an email, please report it to eBay.

For more safe trading tips, please visit the eBay Security Center.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that this is a system generated email. Please do not reply to this email. If you have questions,
please contact the seller directly to his registered e-mail address: [email protected] !

From: eBay Member: glynnejones( 197) ( [email protected] )
To: [email protected]
Reply-To: [email protected]
CC:
Subject: Your invoice for eBay purchases - item # 120291312706, Musicman sterling bass. Natural body, maple neck 4 str

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eBay sent this message to Chris Job.
Your registered username is included to help confirm this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Here is the invoice for your item, 666jobie666( 49)

Dear 666jobie666( 49),
Thank you for your purchase. The total for your item below is £550.00. Since the seller's [u][b]PayPal account is temporarily updating and unavailable[/b][/u], the payment will be sent using Money Order Transfer Services WESTERN UNION (money transfer). The seller agreed to pay the Western Union fees for sending the money to his registered address:

Seller Full Name: Ward Brian
Street: 138 green street
City/State: London , London
Zip/Postcode: E7 9ST

Once payment is verified, the seller will deliver the package at the buyer's verified e-mail address:

Buyer Full Name: Chris Job
Address: (edit: my address)
City/State: Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Zip/Postcode: (edit: my postcode)

To find your nearest Western Union office, just go to our website ( www.westernunion.com ) and click on the Find Agent button.

Payment Instructions:
To submit the payment with Western Union Money Transfer you will have to Pay for the transfer with cash at a local Western Union agent/office.

Once the payment was sent, email the seller the following information to the sellers verified email address [email protected] :
- 10 digit MTCN (Western Union Money Transfer Control Number):
- Exact sender's name on file with Western Union:
- Your street address on file with Western Union:
- City and Country where you sent the money from:
- Amount sent:

Item # Item Title Qty. Price
120291312706 Musicman sterling bass. Natural body, maple neck 4 str 1 £550.00

Subtotal: £550.00

Total: £550.00

Please email the seller at [email protected] with the necesary payment information mentioned, this way he will be able to verify the transfer status on-line and start the delivery process

Thank you again for your purchase.

glynnejones( 197)

Is this just Dodgy as fook or what? i replyed im not happy with the transaction and left it as that. But the address isnt Wales like the original ebay account, he dropped the postage costs, he wants me to pay by other means then paypal (which is protected)

Any ideas what I should do about this? Im not buying it now as I dont feel safe. But im guessing his account has been hacked? althou he has good feedback so far.

Just had this reply to my "Im not happy with the transaction"

Sir, I have a paypal account, but it is limited. I can not use paypal, sorry. If you still want it, please make the payment through western union, like ebay said. Remember that I am a verified seal member and you will get you money back if I don`t send the item. If you do not send the money, both of us will lose(I am in london trying to make a little business here and I really need those money .. and you will lose this huge oportunity to buy it at this price). You have all guarantee with this transaction because Ebay contact you via e-mail with invoice . I had paid all shipping tax and I don't want to lose the money if I will restore my item back . And remember that I am a verified seal member and a trusted member of eBay and all my transactions are insured and monitored my eBay and it's affiliates.

glynnejones 197 is selling this. different one?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR-P-bass_W0QQitemZ120292944831QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120292944831&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-PRECISION-BAS...86.c0.m14.l1318[/url]

[quote name='pete.young' post='261977' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:11 PM']Rule of thumb: [b]Any second chance offer is a fraud[/b], and so is anything involving Western Union. What more do you need to know?[/quote]

Not so. Legitimate second chance offers come to you through eBay and you checkout and pay for them the usual way. I've successfully bought items with a second chance offer, I won one but didn't quite trigger the reserve but the guy agreed to sell it for my best bid.

+1 for the Western Union though.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='261877' date='Aug 13 2008, 08:11 PM']Just had this reply to my "Im not happy with the transaction"

Sir, I have a paypal account, but it is limited. I can not use paypal, sorry. If you still want it, please make the payment through western union, like ebay said. Remember that I am a verified seal member and you will get you money back if I don`t send the item. If you do not send the money, both of us will lose(I am in london trying to make a little business here and I really need those money .. and you will lose this huge oportunity to buy it at this price). You have all guarantee with this transaction because Ebay contact you via e-mail with invoice . I had paid all shipping tax and I don't want to lose the money if I will restore my item back . And remember that I am a verified seal member and a trusted member of eBay and all my transactions are insured and monitored my eBay and it's affiliates.[/quote]

Tell him that you have relatives in London and that they will pay cash on collection. See what excuse he manages to pull out. No honest seller would refuse a cash in hand sale... especially with the fees taken by PayPal and Western Union.

[quote name='pete.young' post='261977' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:11 PM']Rule of thumb: Any second chance offer is a fraud, and so is anything involving Western Union. What more do you need to know?[/quote]

+1 on Western Union

Never complete a transaction outside of Ebay.