Why become a member? ×

Fingernails

TimR

Last week we were playing 'Boys Are Back in Town' - Thin Lizzy and the guitarist said what a great clanky sound I was getting, just like Phil Lynott. He asked how I was doing it.

I gave him my usual reply of 'It's all in the fingers'. Although while I was playing I was thinking 'God, this sounds awfully clanky, I really should cut my nails'. :D

Usually I can adjust just using angle of attack but my nails do need to be of some kind of goldilocks length. Not too short and not too long.

This week my nails seem to have gone mad.

So, I'm just trimming my nails and wondering how short I should cut them in order to preserve the 'clankiness' yet still be able to keep a 'round' sound for some other songs.

Does anyone use a template or something ;)

Anyway, just thought it be an interesting topic of conversation.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1422296363' post='2670851']
Thin Lizzy without a plectrum is just wrong, lol.
[/quote]

Believe me, it would sound even wronger if I used a plectrum. :D

I've played in a couple of situations where a guitarist has given me a plectrum and told me I'd have to use it because <insert your plectrum wielding bass playing hero here> uses one. Get the nails and attack right, and it'll sound great.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1422300337' post='2670930']

Believe me, it would sound even wronger if I used a plectrum. :D

I've played in a couple of situations where a guitarist has given me a plectrum and told me I'd have to use it because <insert your plectrum wielding bass playing hero here> uses one. Get the nails and attack right, and it'll sound great.
[/quote]

Interesting. Our guitarist is always on at me to use a pick for (amongst other things) Rebel Yell. But it's just beyond me. I've started to use my nails a bit now. Makes it easier to play at speed. But just a tad too long and they can break easily
I remember at one studio rehearsal I had to run out to reception and ask the guy if I could borrow some scissors as I had broken a finger nail. Felt such a girlie, lol :D

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1422302141' post='2670962']

Interesting. Our guitarist is always on at me to use a pick for (amongst other things) Rebel Yell. But it's just beyond me. I've started to use my nails a bit now. Makes it easier to play at speed. But just a tad too long and they can break easily
I remember at one studio rehearsal I had to run out to reception and ask the guy if I could borrow some scissors as I had broken a finger nail. Felt such a girlie, lol :D
[/quote]

I still haven't, after all these years, put nail clippers in my gig bag. :/

Using a pick is just beyond me.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1422303419' post='2670979']
Just cut mine down. Can't stand it when they get too long and get in the way.
[/quote]
+1

I keep the nails of both hands reasonably short. I also switch to a plectrum when the song needs it (or my fingers can move fast enough).

I'm about 50/50 pick versus fingers with our current set and really go with what I think the song justifies. For example I use a pick for Children of the Grave but fingers for Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter. Pick for Billy Idol WW and fingers for Steppenwolf BTBW. I'm a habitual nail biter so the nails are adding nothing to my finger style tone.

I've found that my nails come in handy as makeshift tools: getting plugs out of sinks etc. So I've always used them as extra tools for my bass playing. If I want a clear twang for a chord I'll use them to pluck the strings cleanly, if I'm playing hell for leather over the neck pick up I'll dig in and use the nails to get a little more clank and dirt.

[quote name='Qlank' timestamp='1422367723' post='2671700']
I've found that my nails come in handy as makeshift tools: getting plugs out of sinks etc. So I've always used them as extra tools for my bass playing. If I want a clear twang for a chord I'll use them to pluck the strings cleanly, if I'm playing hell for leather over the neck pick up I'll dig in and use the nails to get a little more clank and dirt.
[/quote]

Surely it would be "a little more [color=#ff0000]Qlank[/color]" :P

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1422366805' post='2671682']
I use the Bernard Edwards "chucking" method to get more attack if need it, I hate it when I can hear nail noise if I'm playing normally so I religiously keep my nails short-ish... I'm pants with a pick so it's a happy compromise for me :D
[/quote]

Same here, I like a bit of 'chucking' too... though I keep the nail on my index finger just a couple of mm longer than the rest (which are short) because of this.