Why become a member? ×

Closing songs! Any ideas?

Truckstop

Hello all,

My band are in a bit of rut thinking of a carefully chosen last song. For many bands, their last song is something that is a kind of signature. A song that always goes down well, but is not the obvious 500 Miles, or Alright Now, Hey Jude or whatever.

A local band I know play Viva Las Vegas, another one always plays Angels and another one always goes for Want You Back (Take That). Great songs that most bands don't even bother putting in their main sets but gets pulled out of the bag right at the end and sounds great.

So really I'm asking if anyone has any ideas for a slightly unusual anthemic, sing along song to close the night with. Any ideas gratefully recieved!

Alex

Yeah, we're somewhat restricted as we're a trio, musically, so we can't get away with a lot of the traditional piano led type stuff. We're pretty creative with rejigging songs to make them work, but obviously, some just don't! This is why we're struggling a bit with a strong closer.

Alex

Ps. Care to share any more of your five closers?

We finish with Journey's "Don't stop believin'" ...introduced as, "A song from Glee", which always gets a moan. We play it in "D" ...same as the "Rock of Ages" version, and slip in U"'s "With or without you" (basically the same chord structure) before ending back on don't stop.

It all sounds corny I know but everybody we have played this to sings along at the top of their voices and end up screaming for more ,so a guaranteed encore! ;)

Edited by Raymondo

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1420888491' post='2654545']
Ooh, Don't Stop Believin might work if we can somehow get past the piano intro. My brother suggested 'I wanna know what love is'. Cracking song, but might be a bit too ballad-y?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming in!

Alex
[/quote]

Wouldn't worry too much about ending on a ballad - in my Dylan based covers band we often finish on I Shall Be Released - always goes down really well, including in regular pub gigs.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1420887155' post='2654521']
Yeah, we're somewhat restricted as we're a trio, musically, so we can't get away with a lot of the traditional piano led type stuff. We're pretty creative with rejigging songs to make them work, but obviously, some just don't! This is why we're struggling a bit with a strong closer.

Alex

Ps. Care to share any more of your five closers?
[/quote]

Sympathy for the devil.
Wont get Fooled again
Stay with me...
LA Women
Human
LA Women
One..

We can't do them all in the same gig..too draining
but we might close the 1st set with Sympathy or LA..

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1420888491' post='2654545']
Ooh, Don't Stop Believin might work if we can somehow get past the piano intro. My brother suggested 'I wanna know what love is'. Cracking song, but might be a bit too ballad-y?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming in!

Alex
[/quote]

We are a guitar bass drums set up (sometimes two guitars,bass and drums) but our lead guitarist has a weird midi thing attached to his guitar that enables him to produce any sound he wants ....keyboard,brass etc .... but even if you play the keys part on a non processed guitar the audience don't seem to care ....they just love belting out the words!.

Killin' in the name of by Rage Against The Machine is our favourite....complete with swearing! We give the option of a clean version or the uncensored version and we havent played the clean one yet :happy: .
It did feel strange hearing everyone joining in singing this with all the swearing!
Not advisable for weddings though! :biggrin:

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1420889262' post='2654567']
We usually close with [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cES0e1e7Gak&autoplay=1"]this[/url], a good female vocalist is essential!
[/quote]

Not keen on the song but, blimey, she's got a great voice!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1420892482' post='2654634']
Not keen on the song but, blimey, she's got a great voice!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Thanks :) That's [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxu9wygGDjs"]Jenny Haan[/url], she's been singing with us for about a year now.

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='paulbass' timestamp='1420891221' post='2654608']
Killin' in the name of by Rage Against The Machine is our favourite....complete with swearing! We give the option of a clean version or the uncensored version and we havent played the clean one yet :happy: .
It did feel strange hearing everyone joining in singing this with all the swearing!
Not advisable for weddings though! :biggrin:
[/quote]

We had rage requested at a wedding once, was a very odd situation adding that in with the standard wedding fayre.

I'm afraid we are pretty predictable on last song with either Angels or Hey Jude normally!

With one band we always finish - as in last encore (assuming we are asked for one) - with this Daryl Hall and John Oates version of 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling'. Everyone starts to sing along then the big surprise when it gets rocky. Great track, always goes down a storm and really good fun to play.

http://youtu.be/Fzh1IMhdMOo

We do a short pastiche of 'I've had the time of my life" but break into the blues brothers version of "do you love me?" Which has a little bit of mother popcorn in it, linking to "jailhouse rock" straight to "pencil full of lead" straight back to a quote of "time of my life". Does the trick. Love a bit of showbiz schtick me!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1420899522' post='2654735']
With one band we always finish - as in last encore (assuming we are asked for one) - with this Daryl Hall and John Oates version of 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling'. Everyone starts to sing along then the big surprise when it gets rocky. Great track, always goes down a storm and really good fun to play.

http://youtu.be/Fzh1IMhdMOo
[/quote]

That is perfect, exactly the kind of thing we're looking for!

We already do Hit the Road, Jack to close the first set. Maybe we'll try it at the end to see how it goes down!

Many thanks everyone, keep going!

Alex