Why become a member? ×

Bass on this track - Uptown Funk

Paul S

We're doing it in our set already. Our bass player has got some great and very workable sounds for it from a Mutron with an Aguilar Octamizer. Not sure if that's what was used on original, but it works. I reckon a lot of the sound is in the fingers too tho.

Were also doing this in our set , I'm getting a pretty decent sound for this using an inexpensive Digitech Synth wah on envelope down setting with the sensitivity right up and playing finger style real hard when i want the envelope to really open towards the end of bits , sounds good on the climbing run and slide back too.

Eats 9 volts like a demon though. :-( ... not one if you dont/ cant use a 9 volt adapter , 3 x 9 volts eaten in the course of two weeks its got to the point where I'm unplugging it pre and post song.

I've got an inkling from the live performances its Jamareo Artis , getting funky on this one , i like his work a lot.

Edited by synthaside

I'm definitely not hearing any envelope or any other effects on the bass track, just sounds like a clean five string to me. :huh:
Unless you mean the "do do" bits at the very beginning? That just sounds like backing vocal to me.

It's nice that this kinda pop funk is coming back into the charts though, first with Get Lucky and now this! :D

I mean to reproduce the intro sound, which is vocals I assumed that was what the OP was talking about when they said " [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Is it one of those voice tubes"[/size][/font][/color]

but i'm also also using it for for the overdub parts in the middle to try and fill out the climbing slide i think its a not bad reproduction of the overall sound of the song In a 4 piece setup , with no army of backing vocals to tackle it. Its not perfect by any means but it sounds tidy in the mix, and for <a night out at the pub in terms of pedal not too bad

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1420491862' post='2650035']
Were also doing this in our set , I'm getting a pretty decent sound for this using an inexpensive Digitech Synth wah on envelope down setting with the sensitivity right up and playing finger style real hard when i want the envelope to really open towards the end of bits , sounds good on the climbing run and slide back too.

Eats 9 volts like a demon though. :-( ... not one if you dont/ cant use a 9 volt adapter , 3 x 9 volts eaten in the course of two weeks its got to the point where I'm unplugging it pre and post song.

I've got an inkling from the live performances its Jamareo Artis , getting funky on this one , i like his work a lot.
[/quote]
If it's the Digitech Bass Synth Wah then I'm not surprised you've gone through that many batteries - IIRC consumption is around 300mA at 9V so definitely [i]not[/i] recommended to run off of a battery. In fact I think the manual mentions to only use batteries for testing and to use a PSU all the time.

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1420804242' post='2653575']
If those exquisite Jazz-sounding fills on the Ronson/Mars track are programmed and not bass guitar, I will eat my kennel.
[/quote]

Yup I'll give you a hand with it.

There might be some other stuff going on, but there is 100% real life actual human played by hand bass in there as well.

If Skippy is peanut butter and not bush tucker then it sounds interesting. Peanut butter is, for me, food of the Devil and completely irresistible. Whole Earth Organic with no added sugars,preferably, but I'll eat any old whipped sludge in an emergency. Skippy may qualify here.

I wonder if you could get this kind of effect from one of those Joe Walsh/Herbie Hancock/Peter Frampton voice box thingies with a tube. That is what it sounds like, to me, whether it is or not. Does anyone know if one of these has ever been used for a bass? if so, examples?

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1420813552' post='2653776']
I wonder if you could get this kind of effect from one of those Joe Walsh/Herbie Hancock/Peter Frampton voice box thingies with a tube. That is what it sounds like, to me, whether it is or not. Does anyone know if one of these has ever been used for a bass? if so, examples?
[/quote]

I think as someone said earlier, it's more likely bass doubled with the low vocals you hear on the intro.
Not much to it really - a good example of less being more.