Why become a member? ×

Do other people suffer from this?

Cameronj279

Reading through the stage outfits thread and my recent secret santa gift (Great idea to whoever it was by the way) has got me thinking about how I dress more on stage. I'm lucky in the sense that it isn't a covers band and don't have to attend smart functions etc but I would like to dress nice every so often.

Basically I have this horrible ability/curse to wear any sort of smart clothing and look like I'm going to court. I can just about manage to wear a shirt and look semi-comfortable but anything more than that and I just look/feel a bit ridiculous.

I can't be the only one...can I?

It doesn't matter how good or expensive my clothes are, I always look like a big sack of crap tied up with a piece of string. But I think a lot of it is down to your genre, the impression the band is trying to put across and so forth. What to your other band members wear?

Edited by discreet

It`s just one of those things, some people carry off wearing smart clothes well, and some don`t. A mate of mine just looks "wrong" in any kind of smart clothing and I think it`s probably because he`s never had to wear it for work or anything, so is just unused to it.

I`m annoyingly the other way round, I look far better in smart clothes, probably as I had to wear a suit for years. Nowadays I don`t anymore, but at works do`s, when I have dressed smart all the ladies remark on how nice I look, but the other guys don`t seem to get that sort of praise. Now I know none of them are cruising for a piece of me, so it must mean I look pretty rubbish the rest of the time. Still, I`m more comfortable in casual clothes so I`ll just settle on looking cr*p the whole time.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1420410405' post='2649184']
Drummer generally wears a vest/shorts (cause he's a sweaty little percussionist), other two generally t-shirt (or shirt) and jeans.
[/quote]

Then you should probably wear much the same. You know, present a united front or something. :)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1420412098' post='2649205']
It's all in the posture, darlings. Stomachs in, shoulders back and down, luvs. :-)
[/quote]

Crikey Shell, stomachs in? How?? :D

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1420413523' post='2649230']
It also helps if you've got a neck and arms & legs that are longer than R2D2s... :(
[/quote]

Sometimes. I think one of my issues are that I have an incredibly long neck and it's somewhat freakish depending on what angle you look at me.

Also the fact that I simultaneously manage to be skinny and have a beer belly may have something to do with it.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1420414086' post='2649235'] Sometimes. I think one of my issues are that I have an incredibly long neck and it's somewhat freakish depending on what angle you look at me. Also the fact that I simultaneously manage to be skinny and have a beer belly may have something to do with it. [/quote]

You are Pino and I claim my £5.

Sometimes it is a small change that makes the difference. I like hats, but hats hate me. I got a nice leather Australian style cowboy hat a few years ago, and that sort of looks ok on me, if I am wearing the right sunglasses with it. I have always fancied a flat cap, but every one that I have tried over the decades has looked naught but utterly daft on me.

But then... We had a day trip out to Hay-on-Wye a few months ago and went into a country sports store where they had a lot of hats, many of them of the flat cap style. I tried a few and they all looked stupid, except one... A Stetson Baker Boy in red leather. It didn't look much different to the ones either side of it, but where they looked bad on me this one whispered "I'm yours now... People will know you by your hat from now on. If anyone ever hears you ask "Where's me 'at?" they will know which hat you are talking about. I am YOUR HAT!". But it was £75, so stuff that for a game of soldiers!

And it's [i]red![/i] I don't [i]do[/i] red! I do black or camouflage, that's it.

Guess what I got for Christmas... I'm wearing it now. I am wearing nothing else and I am lying on the bed, looking beautiful.

So, what I am saying is, don't stop trying, one day you might find the suit that was looking for you.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1420413510' post='2649229']

I have no bum, I'm so skinny. If I did this, I'd look like a boomerang.

That's just a throwaway comment.
[/quote]I also have no bum and it's a damned curse! The thing is, I'm a gre't big fat bastard, but I have nothing to hang my trousers on. I have to tighten my belt until I hear my pelvis start to creak, just for them to stay up for a bit. And I can still take them off and put them back on without undoing them. So I am constantly having to pull them up, which makes me feel really self conscious.
That's why I prefer joggers that have elasticated waists, but gre't big fat fatties in joggers is just wrong, so I wear Real Tree style camo ones which don't look so bad. I look more like I should be sat by a lake trying to pull a ten pound Carp out of it instead of looking like I should be running around the lake trying to shed ten pounds.

I've always loved fashion.It's part of the fun of gigging. I exercise, keep my hair professionally colored I always coordinate what I wear to each and every gig. And at 61 it's not easy. I know nothing about fashion, I'm still working on a sort of retro 60s look.

Most guys I know, are oblivious to fashion and are perfectly comfortable showing up for a gig in their work clothes.Everybody's different.

Blue

Edited by blue

I look like a back-street accountant in a suit, so I try to avoid it. I know bugger-all about clothes but do find that a few semi quality purchases can be the answer. A well tailored shirt will look better than a Primark special. Obviously, I have my lovely wife to thank for this insight :)