Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Snake oil... - Power Cord: a measly $149

mcnach

[quote name='inthedoghouse' timestamp='1419374450' post='2639399']
Utter bollocks! I can't believe anybody would fall for that crap!

It's like the article I once read about guitar leads sounding differently if plugged it in the opposite way round! :-/
[/quote]

But... the electrons, as the move, they change shape and become streamlined with a narrow nose and a wider tail... then if you plug the cable the other way around, all those electrons have to either reshape or reorientate and the sound is obviously different. The thing is this process only takes a bout 5 minutes for a typical cable, so you would have to unplug-turn around-plug between every song to really benefit from it.

;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1419388415' post='2639532'] But... the electrons, as the move, they change shape and become streamlined with a narrow nose and a wider tail... then if you plug the cable the other way around, all those electrons have to either reshape or reorientate and the sound is obviously different. The thing is this process only takes a bout 5 minutes for a typical cable, so you would have to unplug-turn around-plug between every song to really benefit from it. ;) [/quote]

I think that would have to be between every note to work properly. It's going to be a long gig and f*** up your sustain.

I don't like that this stuff bothers me. Why the hell should I care if someone with more money than sense spends it on something stupid? Except that it is the same cynical well of bullshit that gets plundered by those selling sugar water to the parents of children with cancer. Why should I care if an adult goes to get some woman with too many earrings and bangles wave at him a bit, or stick needles in random places? Because that's what allows chiropractors to snap babies necks or give vulnerable people strokes. Or gets the families of soldiers, conned into using fake bomb deviners, robbed of a loved one.

There is no good side to this. It is selling lies.

I'm sure I'll get some stick for this. Perhaps anyone bothered can find a Y shaped stick, use it to find their arsehole and shove my give a sh*t up there?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1419382777' post='2639510']
Go easy on us, Skanks, old lad. Most of those terms have far too many [s]sylbes[/s]... [s]sillibul[/s]... parts to them. We need summit that even we can understand, such as 'Good' or 'Bad', innit..? How could we hope to sort the wheat from the chaff with all this display of [s]vocubla[/s]... [s]vocabral.[/s].. words, eh..?
[/quote]

Haha :D.

[quote]I think that would have to be between every note to work properly. It's going to be a long gig and f*** up your sustain. [/quote]

I find my sustain is by far improved if I jiggle the cable up and down. As we all know an electron is a 3D electromagnetic standing wave so if I waggle the cable up and down in a sinusoidal fashion it will at least sustain, and sometimes enhance those waves, meaning I can sustain a note for up to 10 minutes. This only works in cables costing more than £2000 though so poor people always have poor sustain. Just a fact of life. Ask Victor Wooten, he has good sustain so I'm told by t'internet so it must be true.

The standard audiophool response on being told the science - whether it's to do with room tuning RFI suppressors or mains cables or even hi quality "hifi" consumer units and plug sockets - is to say "well science doesn't know everything, and how can you know this doesn't work unless you try it?"
The usual answer is "I've never jumped off a cliff either but know it will hurt because science tells me that gravity will smash me very hard into the ground...
The point is that you [i]have to believe it works [/i].

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1419411464' post='2639601']
I find my sustain is by far improved if I jiggle the cable up and down. As we all know an electron is a 3D electromagnetic standing wave so if I waggle the cable up and down in a sinusoidal fashion it will at least sustain, and sometimes enhance those waves, meaning I can sustain a note for up to 10 minutes. This only works in cables costing more than £2000 though so poor people always have poor sustain. Just a fact of life. Ask Victor Wooten, he has good sustain so I'm told by t'internet so it must be true.
[/quote]

Ive heard that Gary Moore also did this (see parisienne walkways live for proof) . So this definitely works!. Lol

Wasn't there a hi-fi website that did an A-B test between a set of £xxx Monster speaker leads and a bunch of bent coat hangers? IIRC the coat hangers sounded as good if not better? I would google it but I'm supposed to be working :)

EDIT: OK, I googled it :lol: [url="http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/03/29/monster-cables-face-off-against-coat-hangers/"]http://www.geeksares...t-coat-hangers/[/url]

Edited by UglyDog

I'm not even sure if the cable connecting my extension speaker from the combo is actually a speaker cable or just a short instrument cable. Since neither the cable, combo or extension speaker have had any issues during the last 10-12 years of frequent use it's not something that keeps me awake at night. I might have to change it soon though as one end was accidentally knocked askew when it was being broken down after a gig a few months back, still works though. So maybe I'll get something super-duper then.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1419388415' post='2639532']

But... the electrons, as the move, they change shape and become streamlined with a narrow nose and a wider tail... then if you plug the cable the other way around, all those electrons have to either reshape or reorientate and the sound is obviously different. The thing is this process only takes a bout 5 minutes for a typical cable, so you would have to unplug-turn around-plug between every song to really benefit from it.

;)
[/quote]
Ah, thanks - I did wonder if I was missing out on something! Lol :D

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1419413111' post='2639624']
I know a man who has, as part of his HiFi setup, an Isotek power conditioner. I think that they are about £2,500.
[/quote]

I know the guy who started the company, though he runs Isol-8 now.
And to be fair, there's much more of an argument for using a power conditioner than an uber-mains cable!
Some audio kit - usually because it hasn't got a robust enough power supply - is very susceptible to mains-borne noise, dc offsets and voltage fluctuation and reacts by either having humming transformers, or giving out low level white noise etc. Supply filtration or even re-generation in extreme cases can sort that out.
However, a re-generator needs a lot of headroom if you're going to play loud and expect loud bass - unless you've got flea-powered amps and enormously efficient speakers.
But as far as I'm concerned the power supply should be able to cope with any extreme of power supply that falls within the ESQR regs (electricity safety and quality) - my Bryston power amp specifically says don't bother with any mains foo as you'll restrict what the amp can do!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1419424957' post='2639823']

I know the guy who started the company, though he runs Isol-8 now.
And to be fair, there's much more of an argument for using a power conditioner than an uber-mains cable!
Some audio kit - usually because it hasn't got a robust enough power supply - is very susceptible to mains-borne noise, dc offsets and voltage fluctuation and reacts by either having humming transformers, or giving out low level white noise etc. Supply filtration or even re-generation in extreme cases can sort that out.
However, a re-generator needs a lot of headroom if you're going to play loud and expect loud bass - unless you've got flea-powered amps and enormously efficient speakers.
But as far as I'm concerned the power supply should be able to cope with any extreme of power supply that falls within the ESQR regs (electricity safety and quality) - my Bryston power amp specifically says don't bother with any mains foo as you'll restrict what the amp can do!
[/quote]Great post; right on the money.

Hang on a second.... I'm pretty sure he's wearing a cotton tee shirt. That's insane! Doesn't he know that cotton molecules absorb electrostatic quantum bass nodules?
I mean, yeah, cotton's ok for reggae blues or whatever, but there's no way you're going to get that tight, mellow, high-end, mid-rangey, scooped, warm, bass presence attack that you need for jazz.

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1419426035' post='2639836']
...cotton's ok for reggae blues or whatever, but there's no way you're going to get that tight, mellow, high-end, mid-rangey, scooped, warm, bass presence attack that you need for jazz.
[/quote]

What do you think would be good for metal? Chain mail?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1419414493' post='2639639']
I'm not even sure if the cable connecting my extension speaker from the combo is actually a speaker cable or just a short instrument cable. Since neither the cable, combo or extension speaker have had any issues during the last 10-12 years of frequent use it's not something that keeps me awake at night. I might have to change it soon though as one end was accidentally knocked askew when it was being broken down after a gig a few months back, still works though. So maybe I'll get something super-duper then.
[/quote]

If you're using an instrument cable, I hope you're not pushing it... and I'd change it asap. They're not made to withstand the larger current from amp to speakers. You may be using the right cable or you might have been lucky, either way it's worth checking now to ensure you continue trouble free.

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1419411464' post='2639601']
[/quote]

I only ever have my amp in a straight line from the mains, I find the electrons having to slow down to get round bends or corners in the mains lead affects my tone!