Why become a member? ×

Bass testing songs

interpol52

I went to try out a P bass earlier in the week and ending up playing the same old same old that I always do when trying out a bass in a shop. For me it's always I Am One by the Smashing Pumpkins for pick, Scam by Jamiroquai for slap (even though I hate slap at the moment) and How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone for fingerstyle. Maybe Wrathchild by Iron Maiden for some aggressive fingerstyle too. Then just random noodles.

It got me thinking, anyone else have standard bass lines they use when trying out a new bass?

Edited by interpol52

I usually play Ramble On by Led Zep starting on the high F on the E string. If I can play that whole opening sequence up there without any fret buzz then the bass is usually a winner (as long as it doesn't get away with it simply by having a stupidly high action).
Other than that, it's usually lines from my band so I can get a feel for the differences from what I'm used to.

Edited by miles'tone

High F on the E string? Try starting from E on the A string, it allows easier playing for the rest of the song.
I was like Neepheid, band's basslines. I did chuck in The Waking (kurt elling) and some of bach's cello suite no.1, but in D major.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1417945531' post='2625239']
I just play each and every note on the instrument, first unplugged and then through an amp. No tunes necessary.
[/quote]

I like a mix of stuff to really see where the weak spots are (if any!)...

For me it's usually a quick once though the main riff of 'Stacked actors' by Foos and 'sidekick' by Rancid with the pick. Then a couple of bars from my own piece for the harmonics/resonance of multiple harmonics. Play some of the Motown tunes from my function band repertoire and 'The Chicken' to hear the differences in the pickups (if it's appropriate - like a jazz or PJ). Then a quick blast through the latter half of 'Sex in the pan' by Wooten as it has a nice balance of muting, chords and harmonics all together. Then I run some scales and exercises including one that covers most of the notes up the neck just to hear the way everything sounds out. Intonation and action is easily sorted so I try to see past that if its not to taste or slightly out. Same with strings. I normally use quite light strings which are never fitted as standard so I have to ignore that too but that's not too difficult.

I usually do what Gary Mac does first, then once I`m happy with it, from there it`s mostly a medley of Jam songs, Down In The Tube Station, It`s Too Bad, Funeral Pyre. Probably add in Pump It Up by Elvis Costello as well, and more than likely Nice & Sleazy by The Stranglers. If my ears then like how the bass is sounding on my fave lines, as well as my hands finding it easy to play them, well then I`m sorted.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1417946446' post='2625250']
I usually do what Gary Mac does first, then once I`m happy with it, from there it`s mostly a medley of Jam songs, Down In The Tube Station, It`s Too Bad, Funeral Pyre. Probably add in Pump It Up by Elvis Costello as well, and more than likely Nice & Sleazy by The Stranglers. If my ears then like how the bass is sounding on my fave lines, as well as my hands finding it easy to play them, well then I`m sorted.
[/quote]

Pretty much similar here. For pick stuff probably Down in the sewer or Peaches by The Stranglers. Fingerstyle I like to play Come Together or Daytripper.
Also a walking line such as The Shadows Nivram or Fly me to the moon etc.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If the bass starts making me improvise lines, it's a winner. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Exactly this^^^ I do tend do play Hair by Larry Graham both slap and finger style but i guess thats just habit as i've always tested a bass out playing this.[/font][/color]

I use the unison riff in Sir Duke sometimes to test sound, playability, comfort across the whole neck. This had found two vintage basses on sale at quite high price to be inoperable (didn't work) above 14th fret owing to neck issues.

Well having learned it years ago there's precious little chance there'll be other use for it!!!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1417943751' post='2625224']
High F on the E string? Try starting from E on the A string, it allows easier playing for the rest of the song.
I was like Neepheid, band's basslines. I did chuck in The Waking (kurt elling) and some of bach's cello suite no.1, but in D major.
[/quote]

Well, yes you're right and I do (but I start on the F on the A string ), that's how JPJ plays it.
We're talking about what we play when testing basses out and I play it up there when I do.

Edited by miles'tone

I'll play the bass acoustically for as long as it takes to know if I want to plug it in. Most basses I try never get plugged in.

Then I'll play something slow and tuneful. A number that's gives me lots of time to hear the qualities of the instrument and the tone of the electrics.