Why become a member? ×

The Faces.

bubinga5

i keep hearing this FANTASTIC record on the radio. always dig it. i haven't heard a lot of there music, so I'm a little uneducated, but i know a good record when i hear one. real bluesy rock sound, with a gnats kneecap of funk.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSQp7YOPdJ8[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

Good band. The members from Small Faces that went on to become the Faces were lucky. They worked with 2 phenomenal singers. I prefererred Steve Marriots voice over Rod Stewerts, but only my opinion of course. It is quite interesting to follow the bands from the 60`s. The Small Faces bought us Humble Pie, who gave us Pete Frampton. Needless to say about Rod Stewert and Ronnie Wood from the Faces.

[media]http://youtu.be/uyL-biU11hE[/media]

Edited by timmo

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1417885239' post='2624882']
One of my faves.
I recommend the album "A nod's as Good as a Wink"

Just love their feel, it sounds a bit loose and like it could all fall to bits. :D
[/quote]i get that feeling from the Who. very loose bass playing. pretty crazy playing all over. but is very within the music. i like that..

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1417886332' post='2624901']
Good band. The members from Small Faces that went on to become the Faces were lucky. They worked with 2 phenomenal singers. I prefererred Steve Marriots voice over Rod Stewerts, but only my opinion of course.

[/quote]

Yep, all about Stevie Marriott for me.

http://youtu.be/7YfPks4hvHs

Edited by cameltoe

There were only two main bands for me as a teenager in the 70's - The Stones and The Faces.
The Faces were the archetypal 'good time' fun band, shambolic at times but somehow how the loose
feeling just added to the magic. Although a long time Rod Stewart fan, always thought he never matched
the raucous energy and great feeling that he achieved in The Faces with his later solo stuff.
Quite liked it when the two bands overlapped too (Woody & Mac), and always loved Ronnie Lane's playing.
A proper Faces reunion now seems impossible with Mac's passing too, so sad.

A Mate & I found the LP 'Long Player' in his Dad's record collection when we were teenagers and gave it a whirl out of curiosity 'cos we like the art deco looking sleeve... The rest as they say is history!

Just awesome and Plonk done some marvelous bass playing in that band. Ronnie, Rod, Mac and Kenny weren't bad either :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rod Stewart was on the TV last night and it touched on his history before going solo quite a bit.
Jeff Beck, Faces, and who split them up. Rod and Kenny Jones said it was Ronnie Wood going to the
Stones that was the catalyst to Stewart going solo, which might be 'correct' but it was always going to happen.

That Kenny Jones boy was in the right place quite a few times.. :lol: ;)

[quote name='socrates' timestamp='1418044404' post='2626209']
Yup, RIP Ian McLagen.. stay with me a great bass line though is it just me or is there a bum note around half way through? Just adds to the live and loose feel I always think!
[/quote]

We do stay with me (and there is usually more than one bum note) and it goes down a storm

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1418044814' post='2626216']
I bet you had that moment I guess a lot of us have had where you go "Really? You guys can't hear how good this song is and you don't want to do it?". I think it might be quite intimidating to some guitarists without the requisite chops though. You really would want to do it without more than one guitarist and some keys either. Were they factors in your bands declining?
[/quote]

Mainly lack of keyboards though I think with 2 decent guitarists a recognisable version would be feasible without piano, they don't have to be carbon copies of the original. I might see if I can persuade some of the guys at a jam night I occasionally attend to give it a whirl, at least there's usually a keyboard set up in the corner.