Why become a member? ×

Non-Muso Advice Please.

kopite18times

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so be gentle with me

I am in a covers bad (pubs and weddings) and I am having some sound issues.

To put it simply, I cannot hear myself over the other band members (guitar lead and drums).

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I am currently using a 400W Mark Bass Combo which should be well loud enough for the gaffs we play.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]My bass is an Ibanez BTB Active pick-ups. I tried buying a new bass (Fender Jazz Passive) but it was a lot quieter. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I have just purchased a Mark Bass Booster pedal and had it permanently on and it still didn’t hit the spot. I have adjusted my setting a million times. I play with my fingers and never use a plec.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I don’t know if it is a volume issue or a clarity issue but it’s cheesing me right off![/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]We don’t/can’t have bass bins on the PA because we don’t have the transport capacity for them.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I have been advised NOT to add another cab onto my current set-up as that won’t fix the problem.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Do I buy a bigger amp? What is the answer? Please help. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Lee[/color][/size][/font]

You're better off adding another cab than buying a more powerful amp. Adding an identical cab will have the same volume increase as doubling the wattage available, added to which you'll have more power available from your existing amp.

But before you buy anything try playing with the EQ - more mids will help you cut through much better.

Edit: Wot WoT said! :)

Edited by Musky

As WoT says. If you like a scooped sound (i.e. lots of bass and top) you won't hear yourself. Try cutting the low end a bit and boosting your mids. It doesn't matter if this sounds crap in isolation, it's what it's like in a band context that counts.

If it's not this and your band are just incredibly loud then they need to play quieter!

Take a look at the guitarists set ups, note down their EQ's and if they've boosted their bass then tell them to not do that. You're the bass player that's your sonic territory, a good example of the bass and guitar being extremely respectful is Chic. Nile doesn't even tend to play the root note he leaves that for 'Nard. Also make sure you don't add too much bass. As WOT has already said, mids are your best friends!

I know you say you've been advised not to add another cab, but if you're not being heard, it could well make a big difference. Especially as you don't have bass support from the PA. I expect your combo is only putting half it's power into the internal speaker also.

As WoT says, mids are important for cutting through, check you're not over using the VPF filter on the amp as that scoops out your midrange. A bit of top end wont go amiss in helping you get some definition in a mix too, so try turning off the VLE filter too. Bear in mind those controls are off when turned entirely anticlockwise, not at 12 o'clock.

Great advice guys.
I'm not sure my amp would fit on a chair-maybe a couch!

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]I think Discreet has hit a good point. I have adjusted my mids and its sounded sh*t (in isolation) but I’ve never tried with the rest of the band.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]I need to give that a try.[/color][/size][/font]
PS: Is it just me that finds typing on here difficult?????? Keeps missing letters

Edited by kopite18times

The gtrs are too loud in your space.... Get them to sort it out and if they can't or wont, leave them to it.
I don't see much point perservering in situations like this... ( by the sounds of it )

Who says no point in adding a cab..??
No point in you sounding 'sh*te' and compromising your sound and gig if the others wont meet you more than half way in this instance..

+1 for mids. Here's some bloke cutting through nicely with his overly-loud bandmates down the Albert Pub.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCc00pX_pFA[/media]

Check out the upside-down smiley EQ.If it was me (sorry Jack) I'd skew it slightly towards the bass, with the peak around 300-400Hz, but that's personal preference (and I don't know the EQ bands on a Hartke either)

ps. welcome to basschat!

Edited by toneknob

Is it in rehearsals or live or both?

If live then either get a long lead or wireless and take a walk out front for a listen.

I do this at soundcheck. I can sound great off stage but don't like it onstage. <_<

Edit. I'm using GK Fusion 550 head, GLX 410 and RBH 210 cabs.
Generally a Ric bass with a Kramer 8 string for some songs.

Edited by gelfin

If your combo won't tip back or sit on a chair, you could buy one of these: [url="http://www.woodbrass.com/en/accessoires-ampli-et-effet-pedale-markbass-stand-p35477-af833-gbp.html?gclid=CO6oyKL6lsICFauWtAodpFgAkg"]http://www.woodbrass...CFauWtAodpFgAkg[/url] Having had both a LMII and a LMIII myself, they were both plenty loud in a 2 guitar situation for me.

Edited by yorks5stringer