Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the day... My new Wal mk3 Six string with Ziricote facings has arrived after an 18 month wait.

I set off this morning with a gigbag on my back like an excited child and headed to Wal HQ in Fetcham, Surrey. After a bit of a mission trying to find the place in a taxi, I rang Paul and discovered I was actually right outside :blink:

Wal HQ is in a delightful courtyard of old farm buildings with a few other small businesses. I was greeted by the Wal dog Angus and almost as enthusiastically by Paul himself. I did take a few pictures but I've decided not to post them, I couldn't tell if Paul was saying I could take them because he's a nice guy or whether he was genuinely happy for me to post them so I'll err on the side of caution... also they we're pretty crap anyway as my photography skills are limited.

The workshop is tiny and it surprised me just how small the operation is. It's just Paul and one other making every part of these basses (asides from the tuning pegs) onsite. They have a small area for storing woods and for bodies / necks etc to settle, they had about 30 odd necks in progress and 10 or so bodies. Paul told me that they only turn out Two or Three basses a month, I imagined that figure to be much higher. I was given a quick tour of the workshop, various machines and benches, they also have their own spray shop out back for the gloss, trans finishes etc. it's a very hands on environment and i imagine the setup hasn't changed much since the early days of the marque. I was also told very little has changed in the manufacture process and nothing in the design since the custom basses were first produced, which is testament to the fact Wal got their design right in the first place.

Anyway enough of me waffling, here are a few pics. I've taken a leaf out of kev's book and taken them on the garden table...

I'll stop short of doing a full review as this bass is off to Bass Guitar Magazine in a month or so's time for a full review and photoshoot.... which will look much better than my attempts! I will however record some sound samples when I get the time.

To say I am happy with it is a massive understatement, It's the best instrument I have ever played and I feel very lucky.

Only problem is after visiting HQ and Paul being such a great guy (even gave me a lift back to the station) I'm having dangerous thoughts of ordering a four string mk3... :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

That looks the bee's patellas. Congrats chap, well worth the wait I reckon.

EDIT: Hang I've only just noticed; 2 new Wals in as many months?! I call shenanigans and demand you put the fretless up for sale immediately; it's only fair ;)
[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1432649179' post='2783563']

a 2014 fretless MK1 with gorgeous stained sycamore facings.

[/quote]

Edited by ezbass

Rob....... An absolute stunner. I often wonder why some custom basses are so expensive, but the quality and workmanship stands out here. Wow, wow and three times wow. Now the question is, which 6 do you take to the gig......

[quote name='spiritchaser' timestamp='1435822209' post='2812647']
Wow Rob - that sixer looks so organic - Paul really has a very good eye for proportions and which dark/light patches of wood facings to use where.
I remember my green MKI which looked like a scarabeus bug with its sycamore facings.
Enjoy it!
[/quote]

Was lovely to meet Paul yesterday, he's such a passion for building the best instruments he can. We were talking about pricing in the future and it was obvious that compromise was not part of his vocabulary. He wanted every part of the instruments he makes to be faithful to the original design whilst using the best of materials for everything. So much goes into these, there was a guy chrome plating individual bridge saddles. Just the bridge looked like a work of art let alone everything else...

I mentioned you when I dropped off the Shedua sixer and he said he'd set up basses for you in the past and would use the same strings, action etc. as the others you've had :)

The only differences between the new sixer and the Shedua one are the tuners (Gotoh on the Shedua and Hipshot on the Ziricote) and the neck profile is slightly different (chunkier on the Ziricote and flatter on the Shedua) also the Shedua has a gloss finish on the back of the neck, the Ziricote is satin. They both weigh the same (11.2lb) and aside from a few scuffs on the body and some of the chrome plating flaking on the bridge on the Shedua (it is 20 years old) the basses are almost identical.

That's an incredible-looking bass! Very nice!! I must remember that mine will arrive some day. :)

I am puzzled by one thing that you mentioned, as a general question: I wonder how they manage to keep the doors open if they only roll out 2-3 basses per month, while supporting two employees? I'm guessing that the rent must be quite affordable.

[quote name='PJS' timestamp='1435895652' post='2813383']
I am puzzled by one thing that you mentioned, as a general question: I wonder how they manage to keep the doors open if they only roll out 2-3 basses per month, while supporting two employees? I'm guessing that the rent must be quite affordable.
[/quote]

Yes I found that surprising too. The guys clearly are not in this just for the money - and although I imagine they do well enough, it's definitely not champagne cocktails on the yacht time...

It looks to take a huge amount of skilled man hours to create these instruments (and I'd imagine any other full custom build) which I guess is where a fair chunk of the price goes.

I found the whole thing very reassuring when I visited. Paul is positive about how things are going and happy to see the orders rolling in so Wal is in safe hands for the foreseable future :)

Another interesting point he mentioned was trying to make some stock instruments which would be available without the 24 month wait :o

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1435823121' post='2812656']
Was lovely to meet Paul yesterday, he's such a passion for building the best instruments he can. We were talking about pricing in the future and it was obvious that compromise was not part of his vocabulary. He wanted every part of the instruments he makes to be faithful to the original design whilst using the best of materials for everything. So much goes into these, there was a guy chrome plating individual bridge saddles. Just the bridge looked like a work of art let alone everything else...

I mentioned you when I dropped off the Shedua sixer and he said he'd set up basses for you in the past and would use the same strings, action etc. as the others you've had :)

The only differences between the new sixer and the Shedua one are the tuners (Gotoh on the Shedua and Hipshot on the Ziricote) and the neck profile is slightly different (chunkier on the Ziricote and flatter on the Shedua) also the Shedua has a gloss finish on the back of the neck, the Ziricote is satin. They both weigh the same (11.2lb) and aside from a few scuffs on the body and some of the chrome plating flaking on the bridge on the Shedua (it is 20 years old) the basses are almost identical.
[/quote]

Great Rob!

Yes, indeed Paul has already built three "new" Wals for me: the white MKII and the green MKI shown on the Wal gallery page, and the new fretless one you're going to get soon.
All of them are flawless and if money wasn't an issue they'd all have stayed with me here ...
I was thinking about asking you to have Paul switch the old Gotoh tuners for new Hipshot Ultralight ones while the Shedua is with him for service? Doable?

Best wishes from scorching hot Germany
Oliver

[quote name='spiritchaser' timestamp='1435911469' post='2813455']
Great Rob!

Yes, indeed Paul has already built three "new" Wals for me: the white MKII and the green MKI shown on the Wal gallery page, and the new fretless one you're going to get soon.
All of them are flawless and if money wasn't an issue they'd all have stayed with me here ...
I was thinking about asking you to have Paul switch the old Gotoh tuners for new Hipshot Ultralight ones while the Shedua is with him for service? Doable?

Best wishes from scorching hot Germany
Oliver
[/quote]

Yeah it's pretty hot over here as well....

I'll ask Paul about the tuners no worries. I'll drop you a line when he replies :)

• 2 weeks later...

Received my new MK1 fretless with Violet stained sycamore facings last night and I couldn't be happier with it. Like my new Ziricote MK3 it is everything I expected and hoped it would be. I usually put labella flats on fretless basses by default but this sounds so good with the nickle rounds it has on it anyway I'm going to keep them for a while (who needs a pristine fingerboard anyway :blink:).

The new basses these last couple of weeks are the culmination of several years of trying just about everything out there in the bass world, buying, selling, trading etc. I have settled on Wal basses and I'm now down to owning two instruments that cover all my playing needs.

I still have GAS obviously, that'll never go away, but I could quite happily never own another bass for the rest of my days and I am very confident that the two I now have could handle any situation I'm likely to find myself in.

Anyway... time for the obligatory garden table pics.

I'm away this weekend but I will try and do some recordings in the near future for this and the MK3.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1437125237' post='2823737']
Wow, that wood. :gas:

Messes with my eyes.

You have one stunning pair of basses there Rob.
[/quote]

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1437125498' post='2823740']
Wow Rob, that new Wal, and your recent 6 string are simply amazing!
You're a one lucky Walowner!

Eude
[/quote]

Thanks guys, I feel very lucky.

Barring any drastic changes of work / life situation the intention is to play these two for a lifetime and pass them down :)

There certainly will not be any more basses of any sort for the next couple of years!... well unless a old JG surfaces... :ph34r: