Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

This one is dated from 1990 and signed by Pete, got it in Belgium from a retired musician. The neck has a poly high gloss finish, but the body seems to have a lighter satin like type finish, which is pretty much gone on the sides and half the back, showing how much this has been gigged.

The treble pickup filter pot is also pretty hard to turn or pull, and I cannot remove the knob, I suspect this has been glued at some point and that some glue has gone around the shaft. It works, but I could definitely use a new pot.

I had to service some difficult to turn/pull pots on mine when they arrived too. I used Deoxit, sprayed some in the tiny square openings on the backs on the pots, and I removed the knobs and used a toothpick to help dribble some Deoxit down the pot shaft. Work it in well then they spin easily.

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]To help out my fellow Wal-nuts just wanted to document this:[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,](I originally posted this on Talkbass, but i think fellows here have the luxury of just bringing the bass to directly to Paul - if not here ya go!!!!)[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]So over the weekend i made it a point to work on my Wal preamp on my 89 Mk I Honduras Bass. a couple days ago i was trying out a few things and had it tuned to drop C. when i was playing it, the low C sounded like crap. to make sure it wasn't my rig or the setup, i grabbed my Black Mk I and gave it the same setup and it sounded great! Being an '89, it actually put it at the mark where it should be done anyways.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Here are a couple [b][u]before[/u] [/b]pics.[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Here is the old vs new:[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]just a note that the old is a 4.7 uF 25V electrolytic capacitor.[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]i replaced it with (2) 4.7 uF 35 V electrolytic capator - which Paul currently uses on all the new builds.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Here is a pic of the finished install:[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]So in summary, just wanted to post pics for those who have older Wals (80s-early 90s) since this will need to be done eventually, since aluminum electrolytic caps do have a load/shelf life. You can tell it NEEDS to be done if you have the following:[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]the cap show sign of it detoriating/aging[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]the sound of the bass doesn't sound like it should[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]your getting weird popping sound [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]its also a good idea to do it as preventative work, since it will eventually deteriorate/fail (you don't this to happen and muck up your PCB)[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]if you are going to attempt this yourself, here is a nice tutorial i had book marked and used for reference back in my hay days at school.[/font]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSNWi3UHf4

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]if you feel at all uncomfortable doing it, PLEASE get the work done by a professional.....if ya mess up i think Paul charges £50.00 -£75.00 for preamp repairs.[/font]

Edited by kulit17

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426236207' post='2715860']
What strings are you guys using on your Wals? I've always used prosteels but I changed to Warwick black labels on the Wal as I needed a tapered B.

I want to get as much growl as possible, any recomendations?
[/quote]

I'm getting an excellently growly tone from Labella Slappers...

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1426613547' post='2719866']
Looks like it!
[url="http://thebassgallery.com/strings/hard-rocking-steel-slappers-6-string-4477.html"]http://thebassgaller...tring-4477.html[/url]
[/quote]

Ah in the gallery too... I'll try and drop in tonight on my way home.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1426666363' post='2720381']
And here's mine, with his mate Sandberg.

[/quote]

Lovely... Shedua facings?

• 5 weeks later...

I just recently picked up a new birdseye maple MkIII 4 string a few weeks ago. Built Jan/2015, found it already traded-in at a vintage guitar shop...their loss I say! It's spectacular!

The only bummer is, I placed an order a couple months ago with Wal for a similar MkIII 4, so I may change the new build to a 5 string.

So an upated family pic with the (Mk) 1 2 3 punch!

Edited by mikeswals