Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1447064059' post='2904441']
Wow, that's exciting. Care to share some specs?
Quick question though, if you need it now, how long will it take to appear?
Could you tune your 4 string BEAD?

Eude
[/quote]

No specs as yet, I'm just trying to see what the build time will be and if Paul's got the capacity to take it on right now. Last time I spoke to him he was concentrating on trying to get some stock instruments together. Definitely a matched headstock and edgelines like my MK1... I'm still thinking i'd like to go trans white, showing the grain, maybe over sycamore... early days though, I haven't actually placed an order yet.

Yes I did think about tuning BEAD but I think i'd have to get a new nut etc and I'm wary of modifying it in anyway...

In the meantime I think the chances of a fretless sixer becoming available are zero so I may have to trade the MK1 for a fiver...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1447064445' post='2904446']
No specs as yet, I'm just trying to see what the build time will be and if Paul's got the capacity to take it on right now. Last time I spoke to him he was concentrating on trying to get some stock instruments together. Definitely a matched headstock and edgelines like my MK1... I'm still thinking i'd like to go trans white, showing the grain, maybe over sycamore... early days though, I haven't actually placed an order yet.

Yes I did think about tuning BEAD but I think i'd have to get a new nut etc and I'm wary of modifying it in anyway...

In the meantime I think the chances of a fretless sixer becomign available are zero so I may have to trade the MK1 for a fiver...
[/quote]

Trans white sounds cool and a very nice contrast to your fretted 6er.
You never know, if you catch them at the right time, perhaps you can talk them into building a stock fretless 6er in trans white ;)

Reckon you could easily have the bass modded and modded back as necessary if you get a proper luthier to look at it. You're in Camden I assume, the guys are the bass gallery should be able to sort you out :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1447064771' post='2904450']
Reckon you could easily have the bass modded and modded back as necessary if you get a proper luthier to look at it. You're in Camden I assume, the guys are the bass gallery should be able to sort you out :)
[/quote]

Yes that's a possibility... Think i'll drop in and have a word with them at the weekend - they had it in last week as I had them fit a set of the new schaller ms4 light tuners - it's shaved nearly half a pound off the weight and they look virtually identical :)

Edited by CamdenRob

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1448265060' post='2913948']
Needed to test out my new phone camera... It was either a photo of Mrs C, the Cat or the Wals...

I went with the Wals :)
[/quote]Good choice (no offence Mrs C or puss).

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1432312439' post='2780392']
That Olive Ash one looks just like my old one!!!! I do hope so! I cannot remember the serial number, but the dates tally and I have pics, and will post asap!! I cannot remember if I marked this one too, but my fretless had "KGF" scratched in the black coating in the control cavity...
[/quote]

I promised I would post these a while back. sadly I own neither of them now :( If i could magic these back and make them Mk3 5 strings I would do at the drop of a hat!

[attachment=207232:HH Scans023.jpg]
[attachment=207231:HH Scans022.jpg]

I still cannot find old details, but the Fretted one's serial number started 27** from my sketchy memory it may have been 2740 or 46...

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1450037343' post='2929090']
I still cannot find old details, but the Fretted one's serial number started 27** from my sketchy memory it may have been 2740 or 46...
[/quote]

Here is the neck plate at the max resolution I can get it:-

Blown up it looks more like 2710?

[attachment=207233:HH Scans024.jpg]

Here it is on the gameshow 321...

https://youtu.be/3JVRzd8_BI4

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1445832652' post='2894536']
Wow Beedster, already added a 2nd Wal to the mix!
Is that the fretless 86 that was here in Seattle a month ago? And does that mean you fixed the frets on your wenge one?
[/quote]

Hi Mike

It is indeed, and rather nice it is also. I've never played a fretted Wal, and the plan was to refret the '83 and thereby rectify that situation. I am however having cold feet a present, I love the 83 as it is: it's something of a mongrel and has a rosewood as opposed to ebony board (although this gives it a slightly warmer and more rounded tone I think), so there's the strong possibility I'll have two fretless Wals for a while whilst I make up my mind!

Things could be worse I guess?

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1452576524' post='2951252']
Rob, did you see the fretless sixer on Ebay???
[/quote]

Yes I did, it's a few months too late as I have already placed an order for a new build...

I am very tempted to buy it to tide me over until mine arrives (summer 2017) and sell my MK1 fretless to pay for it, but I'm concerned that the fretless sixer will be much harder to move on when I need to pay for the new build...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452584000' post='2951275']
Yes I did, it's a few months too late as I have already placed an order for a new build...

I am very tempted to buy it to tide me over until mine arrives (summer 2017) and sell my MK1 fretless to pay for it, but I'm concerned that the fretless sixer will be much harder to move on when I need to pay for the new build...
[/quote]

Hi Rob et al!
I'd advice you not to go for that 1996 sixer since maybe it still has a dead note on its fingerboard. I owned it a couple of years ago and it then came from its original owner in Germany, telling me that Pete Stevens had had a hard time with that one. It first had a fretless board which warped, so it was exchanged for a new one at the German owner's cost (!). The second board then showed a dead spot. I don't know about the exact current condition, but from the piccies it seems as if it's still the same fretless board with the dead note. Maybe Jens as the first owner could shed some light on that one?
ta
Oliver

Edited by spiritchaser

[quote name='spiritchaser' timestamp='1452689816' post='2952428']
Hi Rob et al!
I'd advice you not to go for that 1996 sixer since maybe it still has a dead note on its fingerboard. I owned it a couple of years ago and it then came from its original owner in Germany, telling me that Pete Stevens had had a hard time with that one. It first had a fretless board which warped, so it was exchanged for a new one at the German owner's cost (!). The second board then showed a dead spot. I don't know about the exact current condition, but from the piccies it seems as if it's still the same fretless board with the dead note. Maybe Jens as the first owner could shed some light on that one?
ta
Oliver
[/quote]

Thanks Oliver :) That would have been very good to know if I had gone for it! I notice it has now sold... very cheeky not disclosing the replacement fingerboard...

[quote name='spiritchaser' timestamp='1452690087' post='2952432']
BTW,
I just spoke with Paul Herman to have my white 2010 Moby Dick MKII refinished in all black very soon - so the funky white will turn into a black rock machine w/ gold hardware - yeah!!
[/quote]

I have been on to Paul myself and ordered a fretless sixer with similar stained sycamore facings to the MK1 you had built and I was lucky enough to trade from you last year :) the plan is to go for a sonic blue stain... although I haven't completely discounted trans white yet... decisions to make in a few months time :)

[quote name='spiritchaser' timestamp='1452690087' post='2952432']
BTW,
I just spoke with Paul Herman to have my white 2010 Moby Dick MKII refinished in all black very soon - so the funky white will turn into a black rock machine w/ gold hardware - yeah!!
[/quote]

Wow, hate to see you do that to such a beautiful -and I mean really beautiful- white Wal.
Why not just buy the all-black and gold Mk2 that's on talkbass?

Edited by mikeswals

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452692213' post='2952461']
On another note, anyone see this on the Maruszczyk thread?

Look familiar?

Doesn't have the growl though... IMO.
[/quote]

Right! That bass is way too warm sounding to be anything similar out of those multi-coil pickups.

Edited by mikeswals

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1452798666' post='2953649']
Wow, hate to see you do that to such a beautiful -and I mean really beautiful- white Wal.
Why not just buy the all-black and gold Mk2 that's on talkbass?
[/quote]
yeah Mike would be easier just doing that, but I also want to trim the herd a bit - keeping it down to 3 Wals in all, and the white one is also very light and thus a perfect live instrument for me.
Further, the white one has to get serviced by Paul since there was a freak tiredness within one of the plastic housings of the pickups.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1452856755' post='2954090']
Recent convert to the Wal club - here's mine:

[/quote]

Is that the recent Gumtree bargain?... That advert had me checking out next day flights to Edinburgh :blink:

A beauty :) congratulations.

Edited by CamdenRob