Why become a member? ×

Plek fret dressing

OliverBlackman

I'm thinking of having this done on my Mexican precision. I imagine the main difference it would make is the height of action. But I was wondering if it would also make harmonics easier to resonate and I would be able to find some that I currently can't acheive on the bass?

Has anyone had this done and noticed significant differences?

How low do you want the action on your bass? I have only ever had one guitar/bass set up professionally in 40+ years. Why, because I can DIY to a standard that I am happy with except in serious cases. This was the one guitar that had a slight neck twist and I could just not get right. Having had it done I am very happy with the result. Have you tried adjusting yourself? if you are willing to pay for a setup you have nothing to lose by having a go yourself first. Harmonics - new strings and get the bridge intonation correct, your tuner is your friend. Good luck.

Edited by 3below

I'm ok at setups and have a decent tuner which says my intonation at most points down the neck are spot on. I have the action fairly low but I have played basses, like Sadowskys, that have it lower, and I know the action on my Fender won't go any lower without fret buzz.

The reason I thought the frets might have something to do with the harmonics is because on the D# harmonic in Portrait of Tracy where you fret the B, I can't get it on this bass, whereas I can on any other.

I had a jazz pleked at Charlie Chandlers a couple of years ago as I wanted a lower action and was disappointed with the results. I took it back to have the frets re-dressed and setup manually and it came back perfect. The plek machine is no substitute for a good guitar tech IMO

Edited by ikay

You don't need any frets at all to get harmonics since you're touching the string with the fretting hand at the appropriate position for the harmonic rather than holding it down against a fret - you can get harmonics on a fretless bass (and slide them along a string too when you know how). AFAIK having the frets levelled/dressed will allow for a slightly lower action; it depends how bad the original fret dressing was at the factory. I've got two Squiers and have no complaints whatsoever. Finding the open string harmonics is all about accuracy; after which you have the technique of false harmonics... (which I've yet to master!).

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1416136874' post='2607165']
You don't need any frets at all to get harmonics since you're touching the string with the fretting hand at the appropriate position for the harmonic rather than holding it down against a fret - you can get harmonics on a fretless bass (and slide them along a string too when you know how). AFAIK having the frets levelled/dressed will allow for a slightly lower action; it depends how bad the original fret dressing was at the factory. I've got two Squiers and have no complaints whatsoever. Finding the open string harmonics is all about accuracy; after which you have the technique of false harmonics... (which I've yet to master!).
[/quote]

Also, the Plek processing only dresses the frets and nut to ALLOW for a lower action. You would have to set up the instrument for a lower action after the Plek processing to have it playing to the individual player's taste. Plek processing does not automatically give a low action as suggested in an earlier post.

Personally, every guitar or bass I've played that has been Plek'd (Martins, Gibson custom shop, Gibson Memphis Custom shop acoustics and electrics) plays very nicely and with a quick set-up adjustment to taste, is playing what I would consider to be my version of 'perfect'.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1416140351' post='2607220']
A PLEK setup doesn't do anything that a decent guitar tech can't do, and for less money.
[/quote]

Unless the instrument is Plek processed during manufacture (such as Gibsons, Suhrs and Martins). Agreed that a decent guitar tech can do the same thing for less (if it is needed after purchase) but it's not always easy to find one...

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1416139771' post='2607214']
That might be the key here. I inferred OP had a Jazz bass for some reason. The positioning of the bridge pickup on Jazz basses seems to accentuate certain harmonics, though I'm not sure about the physics behind it other than that the amplitude of the string is attenuated as you get closer to the bridge...
[/quote]

The closer you get to the end of the string, the more harmonics can be detected, as long as the string vibrates enough. Over a P-pup the amplitude (of the fundamental) is so big that it drowns a lit of the overtones more or less. Another thing to do if you don't want to carve up a P-bass: install a piezo bridge. That may do the trick, but you will also get all the mechanical sounds amplified...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1416097699' post='2606961']
If you can't lower the action on your bass as much as you like because of fret buzz have a fret stone to level the frets.

The bass will be set up as part of that process.

I just had my Lakland fret stoned. It plays so much better now.
[/quote]

This is probably what I will do, but my thinking was that as Plek say they can get it to its maximum output it would be a good way to do it. Obviously the comments on here show a variant in success.

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1416134790' post='2607130']
The best way to enhance harmonics on a P-bass is swapping it for a J-bass, or at least putting a bridge pickup on it. The P-bas is kinda limited in doing the Jaco things, due to the pickup placement.
[/quote]

I've tried it unplugged and I can hear the D#, whereas amplified I can't, which seems to support this idea. But then I seem to get all the other harmonics come through fine which made me think it was a setup issue.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1416136874' post='2607165']
You don't need any frets at all to get harmonics since you're touching the string with the fretting hand at the appropriate position for the harmonic rather than holding it down against a fret - you can get harmonics on a fretless bass
[/quote]

As someone who has played and owned fretless basses, I can't believe I didn't think of this.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1421429125' post='2661162']
Just made a call to Chandlers. They've binned their Plek machine due to varying results.
[/quote]

Is that Chandlers in Kew, or Charlie Chandlers in Hampton Wick?

I have read that Chandlers in Kew don't rate the Plek process (but I think I also read somewhere they didn't have a very good machine), however I had a bass Plek'd and setup and Charlie Chandlers about 3 months ago and they described the process in very glowing terms!? :)

That must be a problem with the Chandlers machine.

Charlie was always very keen on the Plek. I believe he had the first one, when at Kew, and developed and beta tested it.

Lakland and Lull Plek all their basses. If those guys were getting variable results then they wouldn't be using the Plek process.

Having said that, the guys at the Gallery did a very good job when they leveled the frets and setup my bass the old fashioned way last year.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1421432132' post='2661229']
That must be a problem with the Chandlers machine.

Charlie was always very keen on the Plek. I believe he had the first one, when at Kew, and developed and beta tested it.

Lakland and Lull Plek all their basses. If those guys were getting variable results then they wouldn't be using the Plek process.

Having said that, the guys at the Gallery did a very good job when they leveled the frets and setup my bass the old fashioned way last year.
[/quote]

G&L also Plek all of their USA instruments too. The Plek machine must be doing something right.

Apparently it only takes 20 minutes to scan the existing neck and do the work. Good luck finding someone who can do a job that accurately and quickly without wanting any money!!

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1416097151' post='2606954']
The reason I thought the frets might have something to do with the harmonics is because on the D# harmonic in Portrait of Tracy where you fret the B, I can't get it on this bass, whereas I can on any other.
[/quote]

This almost certainly entirely due to the relative position of the pickup on that particular model of bass to where the node of the harmonic is - if it's dead on over the pickup then it won't be heard.

It's well known that, if you put a Stratocaster on the neck pickup then you can't hear the octave harmonic on the 12th fret. Switch it to any of the other two pickups and it comes over loud and clear.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1421448040' post='2661519']
Apparently it only takes 20 minutes to scan the existing neck and do the work.
[/quote]

Well there's the answer as to why some guitar companies use the PLEK machine for their factory set-ups - it might not be better but it's quicker, simply a question of economics.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1421510090' post='2662117']

Well there's the answer as to why some guitar companies use the PLEK machine for their factory set-ups - it might not be better but it's quicker, simply a question of economics.
[/quote]

Yup :-) that's certainly how it comes across when the guys at G&L are discussing it's advantages.