Why become a member? ×

New cab and amp - decisions, decisions

Jenny_Innie

I'm thinking of finally getting my own rig. I've got a TC Electronic RH450 but I don't have a cab yet.

I played few numbers at my Dad's soundcheck at the weekend. His sound guy lent me a Barefaced 1x15 - Compact I think? I'm sure it was a 15" speaker and there was no tweeter. It said Barefaced on it and looked like a lump of coal. It sounded great with the RH450 on my own, but I couldn't pick out the individual notes I was playing that well when the drums, guitarist and vocals were added. It was really loud - didn't need more than 1/3 way round the dial (and I like to play loud and punchy). It pulverised the room, good-style, but no matter how I twiddled, I couldn't get the clarity I wanted.

I switched after a couple of songs to the bass guy's 4x10 Ashdown (still with the RH450) and it was much better. Not as loud for any given setting - had to use 1/2 the amp's power rather than a third. I think they were both 8 Ohm things. I could hear all of the notes more clearly. Trouble is, the Barefaced was light. I could carry it. The Ashdown .... no chance.

I need to look at light things. Maybe a Barefaced with a tweeter?

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1415622709' post='2602017']
(...)

I need to look at light things. Maybe a Barefaced with a tweeter?
[/quote]

If you liked the weight and power handling i would say it's a possibility. Maybe a Big Baby 2 model. The tweeter will definetly add the clarity you lacked in that occasion.

A Barefaced with a tweeter, or their new Super Compact which is a 1x12. I have two of those and they are fantastic cabs :) Also depends on budget of course, there are other lightwight cabs available ;)

Whereabouts are you based? There's bound to be someone with something you could try out living relatively close by.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1415631209' post='2602134']
........ But it seems ok with the Ashdown Head ? .....
[/quote]

I didn't use an Ashdown head. The bass guy uses an ABM 900 thing into two separate Ashdown 4x10 cabs. I plugged my RH450 into one of them. Sounded real good ...... but I couldn't even move it an inch never mind pick it up and carry it.

IME the barefaced cabs are more suited to a full old school sound, many pair them with a streamliner for P bass through an SVT like tone. They are great if you are looking for that kind of sound but they are not the last word in lightweight cabs.

If your looking for a light cab that delivers a punchy, deep and clear tone I'd maybe look at GK neo cabs? it depends on your budget obviously? There are even better options at the very top end.

Yes, Barefaced are good and offer a number of options that may (or may not) suit your needs.

GK neo have already been mentioned, and there are others - such as Bergantino (if you have very deep pockets), Purple Chili, Markbass, Genz Benz and TKS (to name a few off the top of my head!).

The TKS cabs are very popular on here at the moment, and there are plenty of people who own them or have tried them.

But - you may find that your amp might not partner so well with some of the above manufacturers. The RH450 was extremely popular among BC members a few years ago, but a lot of users subsequently sold their amps on as they weren't happy with the sound they produced. It's a minefield!

Edited by Conan

Dfinately look at a cab - or cabs - with tweeters. I say cabs as two 112s is a good option, lightweight, yet ends up quite tall when stacked vertically, making hearing yourself easier. Though a Barefaced with the tweeter is a very good option.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1415634258' post='2602200']
But - you may find that your amp might not partner so well with some of the above manufacturers. The RH450 was extremely popular among BC members a few years ago, but a lot of users subsequently sold their amps on as they weren't happy with the sound they produced. It's a minefield!
[/quote]

Yup, I'd consider a GK head, maybe the MB Fusion as (IMO) it's the dogs danglies of lightwight amps :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1415634704' post='2602207']
No definition? I'd look at the way you've eq'ed the amp.

I've played my Thunderfunk through 1 and 2 gen2 Compacts and IME you get out what you put in.
[/quote]

Well, I had a sound engineer on the case for me for 20 mins or so. He tours all over the UK and Europe with that band and others. The main bass player uses in ears so it's no so much of an issue. He reckoned I should get one with a tweeter - or use two, one on top of the other, to bring the sound up to my ears.

Maybe I should get one of those little ones to put on top?

I'm not changing the amp - sounds great through everything else I put it through. I have been taking it to rehearsal rooms all over the place with different cabs of all kinds. Allows me to get a sound quite quickly.

Thinking about it Jennie, I had a Compact and it was too warm/mellow for me on its own as well, I needed a Midget to get some snap into the sound - and would have probably been better with a Midget T. So as the Compact was loud enough for you, maybe as Ghost Bass recommends, the Big Baby 2 - should have plenty enough definition in that.

The good thing about Barefaced is that you can get the cab on a months trial, use it, if you`re not satisfied return it. Not many companies do that, and Alex is a great guy to deal with - probably your best bet of going down the BF route is contact him direct. His customer service is second to none, and he recommends the products that are best for the customer, not the most expensive ones.

If you want a full sound with clarity that is easily on a par with the SL112 from Aguilar and Bergantino
CN112 which are pretty much the benckmark 12's to a lot of people or at least me, yet you want a lightweight
box which they all are, then the TKS S112 is the one for you to check out. All the 12' cabs I've tried have needed
a tweeter and even then the cross-over point can be an issue. The TKS112 is very clear in the hi mid with the single
12 working hard enough that a lot of people wouldn't even need a horn...and therefore you don't have that hole that
12's and horn cabs might have.
The box is compact and as light as the NEO Bergs and Aguilars. And considering how well they compete with those
two makers, IMO.. the much lower price makes them very attractive.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1415651464' post='2602442']
They are very pretty.
[/quote]

That is a bonus then because in my recent demo..which I've posted here, it had the best and nicest/smooth mid range of the boxes I tried.
This is the key to clarity and defintion...and they are also light.

I am pretty sure I could get the CN112 and SL112 working as well if I EQ'd the amp a tad.. You can hear all 3 cabs are very well voiced
so you'll not need to work hard to get great sounds..

The older Barefaced Midgets with tweeter should fit your bill. I think they use a superior and more expensive speaker to all the 12" cabs mentioned above (Although I could be wrong, no doubt someone who knows better will correct me?) plus they are probably the smallest and lightest and might even be the loudest.

Sound-wise - that's up to you to decide but they are getting a lot cheaper used now that they have been superceded by the newer model.

Frank.

I'm still very happy with my Super12T. 19Kg with a power handling of 1000W+ and up to date is the most honest sounding cab i've ever tried. Great tight lows, natural clear and balanced mid range (not scooped and definetly no spikes) and highs that won't hurt my ears. Haven't found a lighter 2x12" with an output that comes close. These cabs have popped in the FS section on the forum in the £500-£600 price range.